How to fill the hot water tank at the filling station?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by MikeMartin, Jul 5, 2019.

1. MikeMartin

MikeMartin New Member

I prefer to tow with the water tanks empty and fill them at the camp's filling station before setting up. How can I fill the 6 gallon hot water tank on my '07 Fleetwood Utah? I think I need to turn on the water pump but I can't access the switch without lifting the roof. I want to do it at the filling station so I don't waste 6 gallons from the (cold) fresh water tank.

Thanks!

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You can hook the water (like you would if you had full hookups) go to the water heater and pull the vent tab at the top....it should release the air and allow it continue filling. Once water comes out, your done.

3. MikeMartin

MikeMartin New Member

The camps I've been to don't have a connection on the hose at the filling station. It's just a hose to put into your fill port.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just fill up the water at home, then drain your freash water tank. Fill that at the campground. Its only 6 gallons. So not that bad on weight, unless your super close. Otherwise , you would need to rewire stuff. The pump will not run with the top closed. You could jump the wires bypassing the switch and put a toggle on the outside. But you would need to run the water through like an outside shower to get it to run through. Seems like a lot of work for nothing.

5. MikeMartin

MikeMartin New Member

Hmm.. I thought there would be a method designed in since it seems like such an obvious feature to want. 6 gallons = 22kg. Yea I guess not much. I'll probably wire a second switch at some point. I know the pump will run with the top down because I accidentally left the switch on last time I put it down. It ran continuously the whole drive home when I finally noticed.

Thanks for your help.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I keep the wh filled year round, of course down here we rarely need to winterize. I drain and refill twice a year when I sanitize the water system.

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Look up water bandit

8. Sjm9911

How does that fill the hot water tank?

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When you fill up at the camp filling station, it should fill both your fresh water and your hot water tanks. When you fill the fresh water, six gallons will pour into the hot water tank and the fresh water tank will continue to fill until full.

10. Sjm9911

How does that work? Seriously? Mine dosent fill. Do you have to open a faucet? I can only fill my fresh water tank? There is no pressure to charge the lines? And the water tank is below the intake ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Snow likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

By the sounds of the O.P is camping at Provincial Parks in Canada.. not sure about other Provincial Parks but here in Ontario 85% of water filling stations are a cut off hose.. water bandit / watet thief won't work easily. . It would take 2 people. . Been there done that. .

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Huh? Can you explain this is English.?

13. Sjm9911

Its a gravity fed system, i put the hose in my intake. Gravity fills the tank. I have no pressure to fill my hot water heater. My system doesn't fill the reguler water tank if i have a hose hooked up to the water intake that i use for a full hook up. The check valve prevents that. I have 2 different water intakes. I guess i could fill my water tank first , then hook into the city water conection and open the outside shower to fill the hot water heater? Am i missing something?

14. Toedtoes

You may have a bypass switch that isn't opened. Under open circumstances, the hot water tank pulls water from the fresh tank as needed to refill. When you winterize, you set the bypass switch to closed so the solution doesn't get into the hot water tank. Once you de-winterize, you open the bypass switch so water can again flow from the fresh water to the hot water tank.

15. Toedtoes

The city water hookup should also fill your hot water tank (but not your fresh water tank).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Yes if i have the pump on , but not when im filling to go to a site. No pump.

17. Sjm9911

Ok, so to answer the op , you will need to fill the fresh water tank first. Then need to have an outside shower or drain past the wayer heater to open and hook to city water. Run that until it dumps.

18. Sjm9911

I didnt think of that, but you need to have a outside shower or drain past the wayer heater for it to work.

19. Sjm9911

I fixed it for ya. Above was suppose to be below.

20. davido

davido Active Member

Step one: Attach a potable-water hose to the municipal water inlet on the trailer.
    Step two: Open the hot knob on the external shower.
    Step three: Turn on the water at the municipal water supply bib.

These steps assume the water heater isn't in bypass mode. It will fill, and once it is filled the external shower will stop sputtering and will emit a solid flow.

Step four: Shut off the external shower.
    Step five: Shut of and disconnect the municipal water supply hose.

Do this at home. Six gallons weighs about fifty pounds. Leave some piece of equipment you never use at home to offset that weight (unless it's some emergency equipment that you've just been lucky enough to not need).

Sjm9911 likes this.