How to fix this door??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Earthfairies, May 23, 2018.

1. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

I have asked a few questions about fixing my lower pop-up door but can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere on the internet.

Does anyone here know how to fix this door. I have the trailer perfectly level from front to back and side to side and it has not fixed this problem. I was just thinking of putting in a shim on the right-hand side under the hinge area using aluminum and straighten the door out. DSC_0157a.jpg

Not sure if this is good or not.

2. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Can you post a pic of the hinge?

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

In the picture I cant see if the right side is also crooked. I have seen this caused by the end of trailer pulling the wall away from the opening in the doorway.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Earthfairies likes this.
  4. Pozi

Pozi Member

I would first check to see if your door opening is still square. Could be the symptom of structural issues.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My 1984 suffers from this condition. Does your door look "normally" spaced when closed down? Mine does too! I shimmed it, shimmed the door striker plate to meet the door, removed the upper door from the ceiling - all kinds of tricks I tried...until camping last year. I had a beer time epiphany watching my gals move about the camper - they aren't 6 years old anymore and now are mini human sized tweens! D'oh!

So, off to a junkyard local to my campground, bought a $5 spare tire jack to support their bunk weight. Stopped the door from moving, stopped the load droop moving that short wall where the door mounts. There is no floor rot, there isn't anything loose, it just wants to move from flexing all these years. I encourage you to try this out - perhaps not as ghetto as my repair... I have now cut a 2x4 that fits perfect and I'm calling this a "final" repair until problems force my hand.
    DSC00711.JPG DSC00712.JPG

jnc and Earthfairies like this.
  6. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Here is a pic of the hinge side. It seems straight to me. When I purchased this trailer I did not see a gap but then it went into a trailer company for repair of the winch and this is how I got it back. I however, can't prove it because I did not take pictures prior to taking it too the dealership. After all why would anyone think to take pictures if it was going in to a reputable dealership for repairs? I guess I should have. DSC_0146ab.jpg

Right now there is nothing in the trailer to make it do this on its own. The canvas is off and the bed pull outs etc are in my garage with new replacement wood. The old stuff smelled mildewy. *sigh*

Orchid likes this.
  7. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Yea it looks like you have some frame flex. Not sure what you can do about it.

Earthfairies likes this.
  8. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Well I am going to maybe shim it and see what happens. Just to straighten it out a bit. I don't like that there is a gap there at the top. I will bring down the door later on today and see how she fits.

9. jnc

Yup My guess is the rear bunk is pulling away. I would use a jack to try and put it back into place.

10. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

I will try that jnc and let you know if it works. ;-)

11. J Starsky

Sure looks like what was happening to ours. Give a jack a shot and see if it gets better. Any emergency jack from a small car with a flat plate will do - maybe even from your tow vehicle?

PS - The jack is finger tight to lift the bunk. Did that buy hand, have someone watch the door gap as you turn slowly. No tools required to preload that jack.

12. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Did it fix the problem right away or did you have to leave the jack on it for awhile? What happens once the jack is removed? Sorry for so many questions I am new to this stuff. ;-)

13. J Starsky

It was a right away solution, but didn't fix why it's doing that. Like "why didn't I think of that last trip" sort of thought! Hope that makes sense...

That jack is a permanent part of my trailer rig now, packed like the awning - always there when I want it. For me, it neutralizes my deflection of the short wall that moves the door. It's a third bunk stabilizer as I see it. When I set up, I have the wife watch the door opening. Once it looks good it stays in place until we pack down. Worked for me.

14. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

You can take the screws out of the frame and reset it square.Make sure the PUP is level. Replace the butyl caulking behind the frame before resetting.

15. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Thanks Dan but I am limited as a woman to what I can do. My hubby is no help as he doesn't know which end of the hammer to use!! LOL

J Starsky, What about the level of the trailer? Mine is level with the door out of jar. Checked it all over the place, inside the door, on top of the roof, all sides around etc. If I lift it with the jack won't the trailer just be out of level?

16. jnc

I will bet that the wall to the left of the door is not on the same level as the rest of the pup.

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing. Adding screw jacks in various locations will fix the problem.

Earthfairies likes this.
  18. J Starsky

I'm actually not lifting the body away from the ground at all. Like I said, that extra jack is lifting hand tightened, NO TOOLS USED, so not a large load on it. If you relook at my pics, I've got that extra jack on the tongue and pushing up on the bunk extension. Mostly, I'm stabilizing the bunk so the distance between the frame and bed cannot change. That bunk weight is what was moving enough in 1/8's of inches to affect the doorway. That cantilevered weight was enough to deflect the doorway on the short wall side, just like you're seeing. I'm hoping you'll see the door return to normal with a light load jacked on that bunk end.

Earthfairies likes this.
  19. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

No jnc the trailer is totally level in all directions front to back side to side. I just checked it again in about 4 locations on the door side as well as the other 3 sides. This is why the door frame thing is baffling me.

20. J Starsky

I'm tellin' ya I lived that same day-mare. I had a 2 ton jack under all corners and moved around on the frame rails, put roof up and down, move the pup on the site, leveled more than stonhendge construction day... I R&R'ed the door, added washers behind doorway piano hinge...wife thought I'd lost it and started hiding hammers for fear I'd strike the beast down. $5 junkyard jack bought from random yard on vacation won the day!