How to get TV reception in a campground?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by karichar, Nov 10, 2011.

1. karichar

karichar New Member

How do you add service to your camper? I only need service from April-November? I want a small dish or is it possible to buy a computer tv and get reception through a wirelss router? The campground has wireless service?

2. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

if you have a laptop you can watch hulu

3. ricko

ricko Member

We do several things... we take along an extra Directv dish and tripod stand and use it when we're going to be in place for a while. We also have an antenna that we use occasionally and if the campground has a cable hookup we'll use it.

Many times we'll just go without.

As for the computer with video via internet - I can't recall a single campground where we've stayed that has provided wireless fast enough or robust enough for video via internet.

Good luck

Ricko

4. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Member

I purchased a DTV antenna at Walmart. Comes with a small bracket that I've attached to to side of the pop-up permanently. We usually get anywhere from 5-10 local channels. It also depends on how remote the campground is. Just be sure the television receives digital channels.

5. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I just installed a Jack TV antenna. It is amplified and goes on the roof. It required one 2" hole in the roof which is easily sealed as the stand for the antenna is much larger. The antenna cost $149 and Halloween weekend in Salem, MA I was recieving 38 channels.

6. karichar

karichar New Member

Antenna's are out of the question. It is in a valley in the mountains. I was thinking about how satellites work?

7. huizarr

huizarr Member

Do you already have DirecTV or Dish at home? If so then it is easy to take one of the receivers with you and use it at the campground.

Our Rockwood came with a 19" TV and the ability to connect to the outside.

We bought a DirecTV tripod kit off EBay. We also bought a used receiver off EBay and registered it with DirecTV. Now if we want we take it with us.

If you have a clear view of the Southern sky you can use the satellite TV. We have DirecTV so I can only speak about that. DirecTV has a calculator that tells you which direction and azimuth to point the dish to receive the signals.

8. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I also have Direct TV. I got tired of the hassle of messing with the satellite dish and trypod.
    I bought a Vu Kube, which is a self contained satellite system. It is self leveling, point it to the southern sky and it takes about 10 minutes to find a satellite. Works great and love it...AZ [8D]

[​IMG]

9. Tigertown

Tigertown New Member

10. jeeper2007

jeeper2007 New Member

I'll take a guess and say you'll need a dish to go with that receiver box, it won't pick up signal by itself

My bad, dug up a old thread. iPhone app for viewing forum should have bigger date on it

11. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Just wondering how good a dish signal you are getting in a campground. When we had Dish TV installed at home, we were first told that we couldn't have it because we had too many mature trees and wouldn't get a signal. They finally decided that if they put it on top of our garage, which sits off our alley at a higher elevation, we would get servide. So we had to trench the wiring from the top of the garage to our family room. We do get a lot of interruptions in our service.

12. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

How much are DTV antennas or that Vu Cube thingy?

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

back the truck up till it clicks???????

14. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

I use one of my Direct TV receivers and a spare antenna. With 50 feet of cable I can allways get a signal. To be honest I very seldom camp with my Direct TV unless I know I will be on an extended trip. [8D]

15. battr23

battr23 New Member

I rarely use a tv when camping. I would only even take one on long trips. I have an antenna for local, but also have a slingbox set up at home. If you have a fast enough internet connection at home, and at the cg - or a smartphone you can stream to, this would work and is great. My slingbox is hooked up to my dvr so i can watch any live or recorded programs from my house. You can hook it up to any device or cable line at home and simply use it remotely from any computer, ipod, smartphone etc. Anywhere with decent speed internet access. A fast upstream speed at your home is very helpful too and eliminates lagging and buffering. See what it can do at slingbox.com

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2