How to hook up a battery on a 1992 Skamper

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by runnergirl, Sep 18, 2017.

1. runnergirl

runnergirl New Member

View attachment 32512

I am new to this forum. Have a 1992 Skamper. Maybe a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to hook up the battery. This picture above is not my actual camper but the same one. Mine is at a campsite now and I couldn't take a picture.

We have always had sites with hookups in the past, but this time we have no electrical at this campsite. Went to hook-up battery and the previous owner stored the battery box in the compartment to the left of the door. I can hook up the wires to the battery, but on the other end is a two pin connector that I don't know where to plug in. I know the battery has power, I just need to figure out how to power the camper with it.

I should have taken more detailed pictures, but hoped that someone else has this camper and can understand what I am talking about.

I posted this in the camper owners thread too. I posted again as I wasn't sure exactly where to post.

Thanks,

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Not seeing a picture of your set up, this is how mine connects Red wire to the + positive side and White wire to - negative side. Look around the battery for the other connector to the 2 pin connector, or that it could be a quick connect for charging the battery. Pictures would really help to fix your issue. Good luck!

3. runnergirl

runnergirl New Member

I'll try to take pictures this weekend. I might had worded it wrong...I understand how to hook the wires up to the battery, I just can't figure out where to hook them to the camper. I looked around the area where the battery box was stored and can't find anything. I am not sure if the prior owner just happen to store it there. So I need to find where the connector is on the actual camper that I can't find. Does that make sense? Wish I took pictures already but now am headed back camping this weekend and hoping to bring the battery and have this somewhat figured out before I get there.

Thanks for any help offered!

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

lead acid batteries with caps don't reside in the living area while being discharged or charged.

I'd be looking for a corresponding 2 prong connector in the front of the PU area. It is common for batteries to ride on some cross supports near the front. Look around where the propane bottle is in the attached picture.

Raycfe, JPBar and NMroamer like this.
  5. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

If the previous owner hooked up the battery to the camper there would be another two pin connector nearby that would connect to the one on the battery.
    Look for the other half of the connector.

6. runnergirl

runnergirl New Member

Thanks. I thought on the older campers the battery was stored inside. I guess I thought there was a universal spot that the other half of the connector would be mounted to on all 1992 Skamper models like mine. Hoping to find someone else that had the same camper that could tell me exactly where it is. Will keep looking in meantime.

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

As rabird said, most campers have the battery mounted up front by the propane bottle. Here is an example. Good luck.

Attached Files:

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This is PDF for your model SKAMPER... Not a whole lot of info here but does a couple of wiring diagrams

http://www.popupportal.com/resources/1988-1993-skamper-manual.399/

[​IMG]
    google image

It looks like there is enough room next to the propane tank to mount a battery like shown in one of the posts above... This would be the safest place to install one. You will also need to make sure the trailer has a working POWER CONVERTER to charge your battery when it is plugged into 120VAC.
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

I suspect the dark box installed near the floor under under the sink (or seats) shown here is the Power Inverter. This provides 12VDC when plugged into 120VAC Shore power to power up your overhead lights and other 12VDC item in the trailer. It also provides for charging of your installed battery...

Search images on GOOGLE search for '1992 SKAMPER' and then select images...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

9. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

On my old 1990 Skamper, there was originally a metal bracket above the winch that held the battery. I've seen many around that are now missing this bracket. You may have to fabricate something. I ended up moving the battery into a vented box under the dinette.

10. Brandon2107

Brandon2107 New Member

What color are the wires that go to the battery? Ask on a 170C model