How to...hot water heater

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jmcelvoy, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

We've had our 2008 Jayco Pop Up (model 1006) for a little over a year now and I thought about using the outside shower for the kids to rinse off after getting out of the lake. I'd like to use the hot water heater, but reading through the manual doesn't really explain how to use it. I'm assuming there is some sort of reserve that I can activate to use the hot water heater...and then I'm not really sure how to even light the how water heater. I've searched on YouTube for videos on how to do this, but have not found anything specific to my camper. Anyone familiar with how to do all this? Can you give me a quick run-down or a link to a video/tutorial?

2. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

1. Make sure there is hot water in the water heater (very important)
    2. Turn the knob to "pilot"
    3. Push the knob fully down
    4. Using a long reach lighter, insert the flame into the cylinder. You want to position the flame on the right side of the tube
    5. Hold the flame there. It might take a little bit for the gas to reach the water heater. One you get the pilot lit keep holding the knob down until you are certain the pilot will remain lit. This can take another 10-20 seconds.
    6. Once the pilot is lit, release the knob and switch to the on position. The full flame should light almost immediately.

Here is a pick of what it looks like when the pilot is lit

[​IMG]

3. WingShot

WingShot New Member

There should be a bypass valve on the cold water intake at the water heater. Opening that valve will allow the water heater to fill with cold water (6 gallons in our case). On the outside of the camper will be an access panel that will allow you to ignite the pilot. Not much different then any other household water heater, rotate and depress the switch and ignite with a match or BBQ lighter. Having said that, it can be a long and difficult process to get that damn pilot lit, run a burner on the stove to get the gas flowing and air pockets pushed out of the system. Some people cut a wood dowel to size to keep the switch depressed while lighting. It takes some patience, seems like when I am about to give up the pilot catches and everything fires up.

Be aware of the anode rod inside the water heater, if it's been used in the past and not replaced it could be corroded and clogging up the inards.

4. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

Thanks for the input with images. I was going to ask how to fill the hot water tank, but it sounds like there is a bypass I need to switch. I'm assuming that will allow water to flow in to that tank as well as straight through the lines? Under my sink there are 2 black valves that can be pulled up or pressed down. Would that be the bypass I'm looking for? Or would it be under my seat where the water splits off and goes up to the sink?

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

By-pass valves should be close to the water heater... may be a single lever on the output or could be a series of three vales (one on the inlet, one on the outlet and a third for actually bypassing..

6. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Active Member

I don't have a bypass. If you do have one I would imagine it would be on the cold supply line near the water heater.