How to install mini fridge in 1991 Coleman Columbia

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by RaiderSteve, Aug 20, 2014.

1. RaiderSteve

RaiderSteve New Member

Wanted to buy and install a fridge into my (new to me) 1991 Coleman PUP. There is space under the seating area that I was thinking I could cut out the cross bar and add a top loading fridge under the seats. Its a pain to have to carry a huge ice chest which melts the ice in a day anyways on our trips. Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about starting this project?

2. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

Can you post pics or links to what you're talking about? It's hard for me to picture a top-loading fridge able to fit inside a bench.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Regardless of how you mount it, you need to figure out how to cool it. That fridge pumps heat from the inside to the outside. The total heat dissipated equals the amount of heat removed from the interior PLUS the energy the fridge consumes.
    Most fridges have a condenser coil on the outside, but the compressor needs to be cooled as well.
    Make sure you have a way to circulate air into and out of the condenser and compressor area. Otherwise the fridge will start and never shut off until it dies from overheating.