How to keep bugs out???

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by TheBlurb, Aug 17, 2020.

1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

I’m camping in a surprisingly “buggy” area. All was fine until dark. We were inside our pup, watching a movie with a light on. By the end the light had attracted countless tiny flying bugs.

Doors and windows were closed of course, and I just tidied up the weatherstripping around the door. Obviously they found some way in, maybe even through the mesh screens.

I thought of keeping en exterior light on and turning down the inside light. What’s your strategy???

2. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We haven't had this problem....yet. I will say, that our canvas seems to be pretty well attached to the camper. On the parts (corners between the slideout dinette and camper), there's velcro and snaps that we make sure are sealed. The weather strip on the inside edge of our bunk ends has both ends kind of chewed up, so we've ordered new ones, but haven't noticed anything coming in.
    Maybe try spraying around the outside of the pup at sundown when the flying things would be coming out and the inside lights would be coming on.

TheBlurb likes this.
  3. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

That’s a good idea.

We only Had a nightlight on yesterday and the bugs were still coming in.

4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I hope you can figure it out. Nothing as miserable as being "inside" and having insects flying around you all night; especially if they're the biting kind.

Indiobravo and TheBlurb like this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The mesh on the windows is often not no see um quality, so the really tiny stuff can slip through. We never have any issues but I think that is more because we camp with the A/C running so the pup is buttoned up pretty good. There are tons of gaps though between bunk slides, dinette slides and ill fitting Velcro. I bought some foam strips intended to help with window A/C insulating and stuff those in some of the obvious gaps.

HappyTraveler and TheBlurb like this.
  6. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

No problems this year till August. Unfortunately, without a/c, too hot to button up the pup!

The other night I turned on the interior lights and checked for “leaks” outside. Found some at the sides of the top of the door, but plugging those holes didn’t make a difference with the bugs.

Must be the mesh since only the tiny ones were getting in.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

The never ending problem.

8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

The mesh just isn't small enough to keep the smallest flyers out. My mom has the same issues at her house in Maine. There's really no way to keep them out unless you get no see um fabric, which in turn reduces air flow.

Going outside and looking for light escaping is a great way to find ways in for those bigger bugs.

When camping, I have an old sunbeam bug zapper that has the blue light they're attracted to and I put it a little ways away from the camper. I usually use it when theres lots of skeeters out instead of citronella since it gives my DW headaches.

9. Matt D Wilder

Matt D Wilder Member

Make the kids sleep out in an old tent. The biting bugs will be full by the time they get to you!

TheBlurb and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member Silver Supporting Member

what drives me nuts are the Asian Beetles. these look like your classic Lady Bug, but swarm (not sure if that is the right word), on warm, sunny fall afternoons by the billions here in Missouri. they are weak flyers, so the wind takes them to the side of a PUP, then they crawl around and have an uncanny ability to find every crevice to enter the PUP. i now take a vacuum camping during the fall so i can suck them up, there are that many. if no electric, all you can do is capture them one at a time, and this is a running battle for hours as they just keep coming. and you will transport them home and you will find them where you park the PUP. also, don't even think about leaving your tow vehicle windows down.

Asian Beetles don't really bite(?), but they can cause an unpleasant feeling on your skin and when they get smashed they smell like dirt mixed with peanut butter. yuk. i'll try and capture a video next time this happens.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I friend of mine brings a large box fan or shop fan, sets it up outside with screen attached to the back. Seems to do a pretty good job of sucking flyers to the back of the fan where they get caught on the screen. Bonus he gets a constant breeze aimed at the canopy/picnic table or whatever. Only works when you have power though obviously.

Pommom70 and HappyTraveler like this.
  12. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

And we have the stinkbugs...they really start looking for hiding places in the fall and last year at a particular cg they were everywhere. I closed the pup and went home confident I had gotten them all...wrong. We found at least a dozen more after getting home and setting up again.

Pommom70 and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. Redenz

Redenz New Member

I was in MO in Nov this year when the freakish 75 degree weather hit. The beetles were everywhere. I think I cleaned a hundred a day out of the camper. It was awful

Pommom70 likes this.
  14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Asian lady beetles are amazing at getting inside. Don't even try to stop them from getting into an RV. In warmer areas they don't bother but where you get a good winter freeze they need shelter and they get in everywhere...I still find their corpses in old books that were stored in an attic in Michigan. (They are real ladybugs imported to the US to control certain crop pests and they DO bite--just not well enough to hurt much.)

I think they're great, though. So many colors and patterns. I bet my kids would be horrified if I dug out my bug collecting gear...

TheBlurb likes this.
  15. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

Dust buster. Vacuum up them little SOBs. The folks that sold us our pup recommended it and they were definitely right!

Pommom70 likes this.
  16. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Thanks - I bought one, about to head out on our first trip of the year, so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to try it out!

17. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

Have fun, and good luck!

18. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Its impossible to keep them out but I try to minimize having the interior lights on. Just before bed, i have one light on and let them gather around and then slowly come from underneth them with my trusty harbor freight bug zapper. It so satisfying to hear the snap, crackle, pop and you can eliminate nearly everything in 2 minutes

Steveo4090 likes this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Can of Aqua Net hairspray & a Zippo [CB][CB]

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.