how to keep sleeping bag liners in place

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by hrhchuck235, Apr 8, 2016.

1. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

We currently use king size sleeping bags zipped together, but as someone else said, they are a bear to wash and dry (not to mention it's expensive taking them to the laundromat since no way will our home washing machine accommodate them.)

And so I'm going to use the great idea suggested by another portal member and make a liner by sewing two sheets together at the bottom and then partway up the sides. However, I'm wondering how to keep the liner where it belongs rather than getting scrunched down or sideways? My DH is a "thrasher" and unless I bolt down that liner somehow, it will be a mess every morning. Any ideas?

2. world traveler

world traveler Member

How about elastic hoops and buttons in the corners?

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have a liner made from polartec for our doubled sleeping bags. Originally I had thought I'd use ties at the corners. We ended up just letting the weight of the other person hold the inner bag in place. It worked, given how much it moves when I use it solo.
    The bag has been very useful, since it was often just enough cover on hot nights, and extra warmth in cold weather. We've camped below freezing in ground tents and our first pup, while using the sleeping bags. (We've since changed to real bedding in both our second pup and TT.)

4. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

OK - we'll try it with no accessories, but if it winds up down at the bottom every night, will try the hoops and buttons remedy, or maybe ties.

Thanks!

5. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Oahu not just use regular bedding, as apposed to sleeping bags?

6. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

We always used regular bedding in the past, but wanted to make our set-up a little quicker and less hand-intensive. So we switched to the bags - they ARE quicker - and easier on my hand. I'm still not convinced we'll stick with them. For some reason, they won't stay put and I wind up wrestling them back to their original position every few days...probably something to do with the memory foam which is longer than the bed. And which, maybe we should try living without now that we have these big honking bags that have quite a bit of padding of them own.

Regular bedding is what I really want, but it's at least an extra 15 minutes of set-up and then 10 extra minutes of tear-down. And then storage of all the items in transit. We tried closing the roof with the linens on, but it is A. hard and B. some of the pine debris/pollen/sap, any ambient dirt etc. that was on the canvas was transferring to the linens during our tucking process. Tried putting a mattress protector over everything to keep it all clean but this just added to our inventory and to the general thickness.

Still searching for the perfect solution......

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have a different solution... why wash sleeping bags???

I have a sleeping bag I've taken hunting and fishing for years, much of it with Scouts too. After each trip, I unpack and unzip it, turn it inside out and let the sun's UV radiation "wash" the inside. It's never been washed in water once, and I will be honest with you, it smells like, well, nothing.

If it is a scent problem, you can also hit it with Febreze or similar products (you can use the scent killer products for hunting too).

If it's just the thought that you have to wash bedding after every use... it's camping, and a camping paradigm may save you from the need for a liner and the desire to wash the bags.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I canoe camp long distances and used to backpack, I use velcro patches on the foot of the bag and on the liner, worked good for me, plus I sun the bags draped over the canoe bags (weather permitting)

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would hang the bags on a clothes line, spray with the hose, spray with simple green, rinse and let hang until dry.

10. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

I sewed up a liner - boy was that easy - and will use the sunshine cleaning technique next time it needs an airing out.

Thank you everyone.

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Tie your husband up every night.

12. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

I tried tying him up, but the neighbors complained......