How to lift the A-frame Up to do work underneath

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
I am looking at adding a SeaLevel freshwater monitoring gauge .. in order to access the tank I will need to crawl under the trailer .. I would like to give myself a bit more room to work .. has any one of you folks come up with a solution .. one of my passing thoughts was to pull the trailer up onto a pair of automotive ramps .. or a pair of bottle jacks just behind the wheels .. any thoughts Please .. Glenn

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
I can't say how safe it is or if I would recommend it anyone else, but surely the automotive ramps came to mind if you don't have access to a floor jack and jack stands.

I wouldn't leave the PUP up in the air supported solely on anything hydraulic as a leak could develop and now you're pinned under something.

You can also build a pair of pyramids with the boards or plastic blocks we use for leveling, but be sure to chock the wheels, both front and back of each tire. You don't want the PUP rolling off.

Or even, pull the PUP into a ditch, parallel with the trough of the ditch, provided the ditch isn't too steep or deep that it would drag on the tongue jack or other gear underneath the PUP.

There are still a few redneck options too, but all of my comments come with a "use at your own risk" warning label.

On a side note, I have had to remove the fresh water tank from under a PUP for proper cleaning. It might work for you to "simply" disconnect the hoses and brackets, and bring that tank out where it's easier to deal with.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
If the area in which you need to work isn't near the axle, you might be able to use the tongue jack to angle up the appropriate end of the trailer.

I'd still use the corner stabilizers, on blocks where appropriate, as an extra (and easy) layer of safety.

unplannedbbq

May 30, 2017
Floor jack to lift it and and jack stands at 4 corners - if thats what you need.
thats what I used when I first "flipped" the axle and then later when I replaced the axle.

My camper is lifted, so I just scoot underneath it at will.
x2 on the jack stands while doing work - you can never have too many
Block of wood between frame & your floor jack to get a couple more inches of lift if needed

I always but the p'up up on 4 jacks stands if I am doing any work that requires me to go underneath, and use the time to inspect everything down under.

G.P.

Jun 5, 2021
Thank you All .. I think I will go with the 4 jack stands ... I should be able to take my time and jack up both sides behind the wheels evenly and then support it with the stands .. then I'll move to the front of the wheels and do the same technique .. any flaws in my thinking ?

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
I have ramps built from 2"X12s 4 levels tall 8' long. Once pulled up on them, I jack frame up a little higher, place jackstands under frame. Always chock those tires. My pup is twin axle with 15' tires. Safety is always # 1.