How to prevent fridge pilot flameout?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Dan Wilson, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Is there a trick to keeping the fridge pilot from blowing out while traveling? My rig has the two access doors which are baffled but that doesn't prevent the air from blowing out the pilot. It would be nice to have a chilled fridge when I arrive on site instead of waiting several hours for it to reach the proper temp. I am reluctant to do anything that would affect the proper ventilation of the system which is essential to its function on site.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My water flame kept going out. I used tin foil inside the door to block the wind. It's enough to cut the flow but doesn't affect ventilation.

3. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I've towed thousands of miles and never had the flame go out. Perhaps it's a bit clogged and not giving a full flame?

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

You haven't told us just which fridge you have but if it's a small 3-way manual light fridge run it in the 12 vdc mode while traveling. FWIW your fridge doesn't have a pilot flame which is a small flame that burns constantly and is used as a source of ignition for a larger flame.

theseus and crackerJack like this.
  5. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X2^

6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

It is a three-way Dometic, your standard issue fridge.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Buy some window/door screen material. Use duct tape to tape it inside fridge access door. It will break up the wind gusts that are blowing out the flame.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

There should be a tightly fitting swivel door over the flame view port. Closed, it should not allow for any breeze to enter the flame area. We have also towed 10s of thousands of miles with it never going out.

9. GreyFox

So it's an RM2193. Trailer manufacturers don't put much effort into installing these gas absorption fridges properly so you might find that improving the baffling as I did will solve your problem. Click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=eFp1bWxsNDZ2VndGVFgtX1kwODlVNXUweGE1Yzdn

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If it's a 3-way, use 12V mode when traveling... that's what it's designed for.

Our old TV didn't support this (I always intended to add it but never got there) and am thrilled to have it working well with our current TV.

11. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I have read too many postings of dead batteries as a result of using the 12vdc option. I think I will try the screening over the baffles which sounds pretty logical.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's if you run it that way at camp, or if your TV doesn't have a proper charging circuit.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X2^
    With common sense it will not cause a dead battery.
    Easy to shut off DC when stopped for an extended period of time and switch over at campsite, compared to wondering if the flame is out and stopping to check.

14. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I will try it out, what the heck, knowing I have power at my destination.

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Just remember that if you stop at a gas station to fill up you might want to turn that flame off!!!! If not there is a possibility of a bad thing happening!!!

Our fridge we can't have it running on propane while driving. It was never designed for that. It was designed to run on 12 VDC while driving.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  16. GreyFox

It would probably pain you then to know that millions of RVs regularly travel the highways with the fridge running on propane as that's the only option with larger 2-way fridges that don't have a 12 vdc option. ;) Owners may also have the good intention of turning the fridge off while fueling the TV but in reality rarely bother. :oops:

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our friends have a TT that runs on either propane or 120 VAC. The compartment is different and does not allow the flame to blow out. The fridge they have was designed to run on propane while driving.

18. GreyFox

Old wives' tale, you won't find that recommendation in any owner's manual. Truth is we run our 2-way gas absorption fridges on propane while towing because it's the only available choice.

19. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

You were right, I just put it to the test on our latest trip. Thanks. No discernible loss of battery power after two hours of driving.

tfischer likes this.