How to put away awning...

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by KamperKel, Jun 17, 2018.

1. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

What is the best way to put away the awning to avoid damage from bad weather? My first thoughts were to lower the roof so we could roll up the awning and put it into the bag, but do I have to push the bed ends and side ends in before lowering?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I guess it doesn't matter. You just need to lower the roof enough to reach the awning bag.

KamperKel likes this.
  3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Just remove the shepherd's hook and leave the beds out.

KamperKel likes this.
  4. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Thank you!

5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Here is my 2 cents. If you have to lower the top at least on mine you will have to remove the 4 vinyl flap covers from each post remove the 2 safety supports, the Shepard poles, lower each bed bow on each end, then I can lower the roof. This is what I did the one time I had to roll awning up after we have been set up, my awning (Trim Line) has 3 ties one on each end and one in the middle. I rolled it up and tied it off using the middle tie only. After weather moved on just unrolled it and set it back up. Fortunately my step is right where the middle tie is, took just a few minutes and did not have to tear down the camper.
    This is something you should try at home so you will know how difficult it will be at the camp ground. I would also suggest New PUP owners that you practice changing a flat tire at your house so you will know how to change one on the road when it happens and make sure you have all the correct tools to change it.
    Better to have and not need than need and not have!

KamperKel likes this.
  6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Taking care of the awning without having to be concerned whether the roof is up is one of those places where my 6' 6" husband really comes in handy. ;)

On the other hand, that lift crank on the back bumper, causes some pain.:eek:

KamperKel, kcsa75 and JPBar like this.
  7. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

We will have to do the same procedure and add taking down shower area & side end poles. Great idea about practicing at home!!!

8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Just noticed you had a HW with slide out dinning area and shower walls, That would be a little more work to get the roof down low enough to put the awning up. I see a step stool being added to your list of "I need one of these for the camper".

KamperKel likes this.
  9. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Yeah, we thought of that and purchased one. But the hubby says he doesn't mind the extra work...I guess we shall see :grin:

JPBar likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm tall so I can roll it up by standing on the step, tying 2 of the hold-downs (doing the rest when we break camp). If you're not tall enough I'd suggest bringing along a bucket, or milk crate, or step stool, or something else you can stand on, vs actually lowering the roof.

KamperKel and JPBar like this.
  11. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

at least a 3 step one. Mine rides on the front bed next to the door, that I only have to raise the roof a few inches to grab it.

KamperKel likes this.
  12. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Thank you everyone! We will try using our step ladder. It will save a lot of time if it works, lol

13. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

AFTER the beds are pushed in, roof lowered, is when i fold up legs & roll it up. but im usually doing this alone

14. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Yeah, we do this when we are breaking down, but my concern was how to put away the awning for bad weather while the camper is popped up. Our popup has a lot of height due to the high walls. Hubby and I will have to see if our step ladder will work or just lower the roof enough to roll up the awning.

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've never actually put ours away for bad weather. Once or twice I added guy ropes to hold it down due to the threat of winds, but never actually pulled it. During a normal, non-severe rain, that's one of the best times to have an awning out... keeps the area in front of the pup dry.

KamperKel and JPBar like this.
  16. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Three step folding stool is a must with my bad knees. Can't just bounce onto or leap off the truck the way I used to. :(