How to remove old seam tape?I've

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Ryan Stutchman, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Ryan Stutchman

Ryan Stutchman New Member

i have a 03 Coleman bayside elite that is in excellent shape but my inside seam tape keeps flacking off. I've spent several hours trying to remove the old tape but only managed to remove about a foot. I tried using a ruff sponges, scrubbing brush, putty knife but the only thing that seems to work is my fingernail. Is there a easy way to remove the residue from the old tape? I also read from another forum that the tape was put in there for sewing purposes during the assembly and the tape does actually nothing for the canvas. When I manage to remove all the old tape should I put seam glue wheee the tape was?

2. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

I'd say goo gone, but would be hesitant about using it on the tent material, there might be something made to remove pine pitch from a tent, I don't see why something like that won't work

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are working on but it sounds like you are trying to remove the waterproofing seam tape. Not a good idea.

Buy urethane seam sealer and go over the existing seam tape. Do NOT use latex seam sealer.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If it's just the assembly basting tape, used to hold the pieces together while sewing, it's not a big thing. It has nothing to do with waterproofing. Unless it's really annoying, I wouldn't put the work into it to remove it.
    That said, the age of your pup is such that it may be time to clean and re-waterproof the canvas, and probably seal the seams.

5. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Funny how it easily flakes off creating an eyesore/repair issue, but then it is stubborn as all get out to peel off by hand. I agree with Customer, seal the old tape back on.

6. Ryan Stutchman

Ryan Stutchman New Member

Thanks for all the advice, I did try some goo gone but it didn't help that much. As far as water proofing I did that yesterday with some 303 and ran Coleman seam sealer as well on the stitching on the outside. Is there anything I need to do on the inside for water proofing? I tried to upload a pick of basting tape but having issues with that. I'll keep on trying to remove the tape residue but it might take me a month with my fingernail. Hopefully I'll figure something out to remove it quickly and if I do I'll post it.

7. Misscompute

Misscompute New Member

8. ksawin127

ksawin127 New Member

I have the same issue in my PUP. It's not offering any waterproofness if it's flaking, so I started picking it off. There was a small section of seam in the bunk tenting, maybe 2-3 inches where water was dripping in. So I ordered some seam repair glue (Gear Aid Seam Grip) from Amazon and applied it to about a 1 ft section on the outside where is was leaking, worked like a charm. Nothing else is is leaking despite all the seam tape being so brittle and flaking, but if it does, I'll just repair as needed. The 303 waterproofer won't do much for the folded seams (at least it didn't for me), and you'll want to be really careful not to get any overspray on the rubber/vinyl roof if you have one, it can break down the material.