How to Repair Bent Winch Assembly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Sel Cee, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Sel Cee

Sel Cee New Member

Hello! I've got a 2015 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD popup camper, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to fix the winch area. The winch area was damaged before we purchased the camper, and is dented in a bit (see pictures). We've been using the manual override on the winch to raise and lower the camper, but I'd like to get it fixed. The electric raise does not work. If I remove the winch, and then try and bend the metal back up to be flat again will it stay that way if I put the winch back on, or install a new one?

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member Gold Supporting Member

Just a thought.....

Take the mounting nuts off the winch assembly and set out of the way as much as possible

Get a small bottle jack and some small 2x4 & place in the opening at a slant.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pro-Lif...DnswvM61W3IkFQsi9x4aAn_zEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use the jack to then "push/bend" the winch mounting plate back into position ( may take a few tries as you may need to reposition the jack) - go slow as this is a "backyard - hmmmm...let's see if this works" idea and in no way is this an expert fix. [!][?:~{][HH]

When your satisfied re-install the winch.

Goodluck!
    My2cents.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Tom Jordan likes this.
  3. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Another redneck engineering brainstorm would be to get enough washers under the street side to square it up with the frame. But that might need a longer bolt.