How to sanitize water holding tank

rpm2203

sure - that's fine
Sep 7, 2003
Southern Ontario, Canada
Just wondering if there is a recomended way of sanitizing the 'blue?' water holding tank. I just bought a new trailer (Rockwood) and found that the tank was full of water with some pink liquid. Don't know what that is, but either way, I need to drain the tank and make sure it is cleaned out properly.

I drained with the drain **** at the bottom of the tank... I think I will drain the rest with the water pump, but after that, I need to cleain out what remains.

As well, periodically, I would think that you would want to do that, especially after winterizing.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
The pink stuff in the potable water tank is RV anti freeze, while not toxic is doesn't taste good (don't ask how I know this).

I would flush the pink stuff out of all the water system first, then do the sterilizing.

Depending on who you talk too, you'll get a lot of info on doing this. What I plan on doing with mine is mixing about a 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water, pour this mixture into my tank and then top off the tank with water. The with the pump on, run the water through the entire system. Then let it sit for a couple of hours (2-3) and then flush the entire system a few times to remove the smell/taste of bleach.

I would recomend sterilizing at least 2-3 times per season, once when you de-winterize, once again about 1/2 through the season. The amount of times would really depend on where your getting your water from. If your always filling at CG's then I would sterilize on a regular basis, if your filling the water from the same source all the time, then you can probably do it 2-3 times.

suprz

may you never doubt yourself....
Feb 1, 2007
welcome, the pink stuff in the fresh water tank is non-toxic RV anti-freeze. you have to run that through the water lines before winter so any water in the lines wont freeze and split the lines. To sanitize your fresh water tank, fill it up with clean water and then open up your drain valve (under the PUP on the water tank) and let it drain completely, once that is done, close the tank drain and refill the water tank and turn your water pump on and open your water faucets & shower head, and let the water flow out, you will see the water go from pink to clear, once your have drained the tank this way, refill the tank again and put in 1/4 cup of laundry bleach (NON SCENTED) and let this sit in the tank for awhile (10-15 mins) then turn your pump on again and open the sink faucets, and shower faucets again and let the water run through until you have emptied the tank again. (you will smell the chlorine bleach in the water) now you can refill the tank and once again open the faucets and shower etc... and let the water run to flush the tank again and get rid of the bleach. sometimes this takes a few flushes to get the tank clear of the bleach taste and smell. but you will have a fresh and sanitized water tank

Luv2ridebikes

Super Active Member
Apr 17, 2005
Granger, IN
The only thing I would add to Snow's instruction is to top off the water tank again after you have pulled bleach water though the lines. That insures that the top of your holding tank is sterilized too. After topping it off, let the whole system full of bleach water sit for 3-4 hours, then drain and flush.

We do a follow up treatment with white vinegar and water to neutralize the bleach after flushing it and that really helps remove all bleach taste. It's not really necessary from a health standpoint, but we like all bleach taste removed.

Retired Alex

Super Active Member
Oct 2, 2003
Limoges, Ontario
suprz said:
welcome, the pink stuff in the fresh water tank is non-toxic RV anti-freeze. you have to run that through the water lines before winter so any water in the lines wont freeze and split the lines. To sanitize your fresh water tank, fill it up with clean water and then open up your drain valve (under the PUP on the water tank) and let it drain completely, once that is done, close the tank drain and refill the water tank and turn your water pump on and open your water faucets & shower head, and let the water flow out, you will see the water go from pink to clear, once your have drained the tank this way, refill the tank again and put in 1/4 cup of laundry bleach (NON SCENTED) and let this sit in the tank for awhile (10-15 mins) then turn your pump on again and open the sink faucets, and shower faucets again and let the water run through until you have emptied the tank again. (you will smell the chlorine bleach in the water) now you can refill the tank and once again open the faucets and shower etc... and let the water run to flush the tank again and get rid of the bleach. sometimes this takes a few flushes to get the tank clear of the bleach taste and smell. but you will have a fresh and sanitized water tank

The bleach solution you use for sanitizing is so weak that you have to let it sit in the tank and lines for a minimum of 2-3 hours before you flush it clean.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
I agree with Luv2ridebikes. After doing the bleach thing I repeat it with vinegar and then flush the heck out of the tank four or five times. I'm very sensitive to the tastes and smells of RV antifreeze and bleach. (BTW, the bleach and vinegar solutions should each sit in the tank 3-4 hours to produce the best results.)

I will never put RV antifreeze in my water system again. Last year it took dozens of flushes at each level (flush the pink stuff, add the bleach and flush it, then do the vinegar) to get that horrible taste out. Fortunately it doesn't usually freeze here (Seattle) and I keep the PUP in the garage where it rarely dips below 40 and is usually 50.