how to/should I -- lubricate leaf springs

rpm2203

sure - that's fine
Sep 7, 2003
Southern Ontario, Canada
I find my PUP somewhat noisy when going over bumps with squeaks and various noises as we travel. I am wondering if I should be lubricating the leaf springs on my PUP to prevent wear on the leafs as they move up and down. I can really find anything on this and am wondering what everyone else does. There is no 'lub' access on the springs - so does this mean that I should just leave it? I am wondering if I tried to lubricate if that would just attract dust and dirt and actually cause more wear.

THanks in advance.

Twisty

Super Active Member
Aug 24, 2008
Hillsboro, Oregon
Jack up the Pup using the frame rail. That will relax and open the leaves a bit.
Using the applicator tube, spray Lock Ease in between the leaves.
You can use a large screwdriver or pry bar to open them more if you need to.
The carrier fluid in the lube will evaporate and leave a nice coating of graphite.
I also used it on the pivot points on the shackle bolts.
One end of my springs slides, they are called slider springs, and that needs to be sprayed too.

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
I've found that the (Dexter) leaf springs, on both , the Coleman/Fleetwood and Starcraft campers, had the "squeaky's" and both kinda bad at times. Even lubing the hangers, leafs and shackles themselves with WD-40 & silicone spray lube only stopped the squeaks for a short period of time. For example, in the driveway at home, would jack-up the camper opening the leafs and lube everything and all would be quiet. Drive 300 miles up to my favorite spot, and especially if I encountered a little rain along the way, the squeaks would be back.

This was the cure I made for the Starcraft and never a squeak again ... at least coming from the suspension!

http://dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1043/3902