How To Sleep Warmer w/o Electricity

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Queen-B, May 8, 2009.

1. Queen-B

Queen-B Northeast Wyoming

I have a Backpacker magazine from February 2007 that had a great article about sleeping warmer. We've used these tips many times while tent camping in the mountains and I'm sure they can be used with a PUP as well.

* Size Your Sack: Get a snug fitting sleeping bag with just enough room for tossing-and-turning space. A too-big bag means extra space to heat. --With our girls, we fold the bottom part of the sleeping bag up on top of them, creating less extra space. We also stuff a blanket around them for extra snug-ness.

*Have A Snack: Eat energy bars before bed to give your body the fuel to stay warm, and keep a Snickers handy in case you wake up chilled before dawn. --We encourage s'more eatting and hot cocoa drinking for everyone before bed. Might not be the same type of "fuel" as an energy bar, but we enjoy it!

*Cover Your Dome: Always sleep in a hat. --This is a hard one to get the kids to do.

*Snuggle With A Bottle: Fill a Lexan bottle or two with hot water, stuff them inside a sock, and place them between your thighs (to warm the blood in your femoral artery) and at your feet. --We do this and the water actually stays warm for quite a while, which is good because no one wants to snuggles with a cold water bottle in the cold!

*Dress For Space: Putting on too much clothing can make your bag tight and compress the insulation. Adjust your layers to suit your bag's interior volume. --We just make sure the kiddos have their warmest jammies on and we do too. I also wear big wool socks because my feet are always cold.

I'm sure Gizmo's and and the reflectix stuff would also be recommended for PUPs, as well as lots of propane! Enjoy the cold weather!

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

great suggestions ! you can also lay a solar blanket under your sleeping bag to help reflect the heat back up to you.....

I like the hot water bottle in a sock idea !!!

3. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

My wife has a t-shirt that reads "stay warm tonight, sleep with a cop" . It replaced her worn out "sleep with a Marine" shirt. Lucky for me, it's been me both times. LOL

4. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

My wife has the same shirt...andit better be me... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

5. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

When I lived alone I used to turn the heat waaayyyy down to like 50. As long as the pipes didn't freeze, it was less $$$ for me. Anyway I used to sleep with a winter hat every night. It kept my feet warm.

6. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Another good tip is to put some insulation between you and the ground or outside air.

For tent campers this would amount to using a foam sleeping mat. For pup campers this would mean put a sheet of polystyrene insulation under the bunk mattress. A 1/2 inch of the stuff can make a big difference.

7. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

We use good heavy 100% wool blankets. They are not the thin cheep blankets but the good thick expensive ($200+) ones, like older Whitney and Hudson Bay blankets.
    We do a lot of reenacting so they serve double duty.

8. perkioman

perkioman New Member

Put some rocks or river rock near your camp fire and throw them in your sleeping bag before you go to bed... Make sure to have a thick towel to transport them - those suckers get hot! Take them out of your sleeping bag just before you get in -- it'll warm it up so you can fall asleep...

9. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I had 2 Thermarest Sleeping Pads from tent camping day sand I placed them under mattress and that made sleeping in cold weather more pleasant. Good sleeping bags also help. The only part that gets cool is my hand so I placed a glove on it (Under pillow out top of sleeping bag) [LOL]

10. dondford

dondford New Member

Great tips. Add
    Pee before you turn in.. You will waste body heat heating a full bladder plus its a bummer having to get up in the cold to pee.

D

11. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Tips I've found useful after seven years of Scout tent camping.

1. Good sleeping bag rated to at least 30 degrees. For really cold weather use a "mummy" bag.
    2. Thermarest pad
    3. Don't overdress in bag. If you start to sweat, you're done. Silk and polypropylene underwear are best.
    4. Wool socks and knit hat in the coldest weather.
    5. 10 min. before retiring throw a large disposable handwarmer in the bottom of the bag. This is my favorite and does work wonders.
    6. Keep your clothes near the bag. In the morning bring in your shirt and pants into the bag to "prewarm" them before putting them on.

For PU owners, Reflectix and PUGs make a difference.

12. 92_Flagstaff

92_Flagstaff New Member

Just reading that made me double-itchy. I have a strong aversion to wool.

Thank heavens there are man-made substitutes for wool, that are just as effective :)

13. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

i read once you lose 80% of your body heat through your head so a hat is a must in the winter for me.......i went to bed many a night with a skull cap on.......i kept thinking about the movie about scrooge with him in his stockingcap.....there was a reason he wore it to bed by God!!........haha......SCmomma

14. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

DW had the same tees but I was in the NAVY and never a cop [;)] I wonder if I should be worried? [:D] Come to think of it, neither of us is asian like DS. Now I am really wondering about her cop friend Mr. Wong.

Seriously, if you think of how people slept in times past, it was not uncommon to wear a night cap. I have heated mattresses so it isn't a problem for us. However, when I sleep in a tent, I have an ARMY Mummy sleeping bag and I use a poncho liner in it because it creates another layer. If by myself, I am usually quite warm.

DW says I put out many BTU's (Bill Thermal Units) so she just gets close to me and puts a blanket over both of us [;)] and snuggles. We survived a power outage with only what we normally have and sharing body heat. [:)O]

15. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

One other important thing is to wear clean clothes to bed. For backpackers [and Boy Scouts] the tendency is to want to peel off the outer layer and climb in the bag not wanting to get cold stripping down and putting on something clean. Those clothes have sweat in them that takes a lot of heat to keep warm. Better to as another mentioned, change into some poly long johns, socks, hat etc. They warm up quickly and are much less of a heat sink.

Toward morning I like to put my pants and shirt, that I'm going to wear for the day in my bag to get them toasty before donning hem.

16. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Another tip is to use bunk skirts:

[​IMG]

They greatly reduce the airflow, and therefore heat loss, under the bunks.

Plus, they're handy for storing stuff.

17. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

3pillons My first wife had the sleep with a marine, My second and 3rd wife had the one of sleep with a firefighter and the 3rd has the sleep with a cop shirt. I should give the 1st and second support search and rescue get lost shirts. [}:)]

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The above work great! But nothing worse then waking up and putting on boots that are still damp from the day before so, just learned to throw those hand warmers in your boots overnight to dry them out! Folks I spoke to who do this say it works great!

19. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

Hot water bottles work great. I find that if I boil water for one at bed time, they are still hot by morning. Usually they make my feet so hot I kick 'em out in the middle of the night because I'm sweating.

[CP]

20. iapaint4fun

iapaint4fun Camping with small daughter and my mom? Popup time

i know this thread had been quiet for a while, but 'tis the season.

Fresh, dry clothes at night, new socks. It makes a difference the type of materials, too. Silk and the new manufactured long johns are really good. Cotton wicks heat away from the body (thus it's use by the Bedoin in the deserts in northern Africa).

Closed cell foam sleeping pads are super helpful and act as insulation.

I slept in single digit weather in a semi-inappropriate tent with the cheap foam mat with my squishier foam mat, a down sleeping bag in a poly bag, with fresh silk shirt and pants, socks, hat, and gloves. There was hoar frost inside the tent every morning. I kept my boots in the tent to pull on in the morning. It was an amazing week!!! And cocoa in the morning never tasted better.