How To Sleep Warmer w/o Electricity

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Queen-B, May 8, 2009.

1. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Socks and a hat are the best tips.

A good quality sleeping bag is a must. Offset quilt construction and a zipper draft tube are essential.

A fleece liner is great for extending the range of a bag.

2. electronflux

electronflux Member

I have/use mil-spec modular bags, poly-pro long johns and socks. I've tried wearing a hat, but it never stays on all night, so I went to using a poly-pro balaclava; it works better for me. The kids all have the mil-spec down bags.

I already have reflectix for the windows. Plan on putting the 1/2" insulation under the mattresses soon.

3. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

Go to home depot and buy a couple hand warmers. shake them up and put them in the bottom of your bag. That will help you stay warm.

4. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

A 90 pound golden retriever stuffed under the covers helps.

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

as long as he isn't drooling, LOL!

6. ecupcar

ecupcar New Member

Great post. I am camping in late oct and may get cold. I am also going to try and push out to early nov if I can hack it!

7. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

+1 on the Golden Retrievers - we have 2 and they are great bed warmers, but it does get crowded. The hot water bottle in a sock was recommended to me on a backpacking trip last fall (night got down into the high twenties), and it worked great as well.

For kids that don't want to wear a hat, maybe have them wear a hoodie? That's what I usually sleep in when it's cold out.

8. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Nah! It's all about positioning so the drool is on the "other" side! [LOL]

9. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Been using wool socks since I turned 60.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I don't do well at keeping a hat on. I've learned to pull the polarfleece liner (in the sleeping bag) or fleece blanket up around my ears and head. (I get practice at home, as I get the breeze from the cooler spring-fall, and it is often cool enough that I need to protect my neck and ear from the draft.) On occasion, I use a small, fleece throw kept at my head, and pull that around myself.

My new backpacking sleeping bag is down, and opens to make a comforter, so that was nice on a couple of trips this year.

I use synthetic fabric long johns as pajamas, and usually wool socks on cold nights.

11. cico7

catalytic heater, 1 canister will last 1 night

12. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

My wife has naturally VERY COLD feet, and comes up with the best solution...for her at least.....she sticks them between my legs...and you know how cold feet can get? Lets just say thank goodness I'm one of those people who generate ALOT of heat...so her cold feet and my hot body [:D] we balance each other out! Only one problem though...when I'm already in bed and warm, she comes to bed later and of course I am rudely awakened by her cold feet. Sometimes I wonder if she is a zombie! [LOL]

JJ

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

All of these are great tips but it seems as I am the only one who likes to warm up with DW...

14. electronflux

electronflux Member

mine doesn't like to camp as much as she used to and only goes when the weather is warm/hot. I would have better luck trying to teach the dog to talk than to get her to go camping when it's cold out.

15. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

I truly love to camp in cold weather.
    We try to go to Ga. or North Carolina Mt. for the fall leaves.
    It's gorgeous.
    Sometimes we get snow and freezing temps even in Oct.
    Non electric Camping in freezing temps take some careful planing and quite a bit of skill but, I love the challenge.
    We have a lot of trick like everyone else.
    Our favorites are down comforters and 12 volt electric blanket. I turn the blanket on just long enough to take the chill off then shut it off.
    2 batteries and full tank of propane.
    I usually eat a lot and drink a good bit too
    although I'm not sure if the last tip helps
    I just do it anyhow
    Rick

16. cico7

I like to, but I put off too much heat.

17. scorp28

scorp28 Member

Eating a high calorie fatty dinner will help keep you warmer. The body produces heat while metabolizing. Also remember that the ratings on cold weather sleeping bags are not generally intended as a comfort rating. The lower end of the rating is at what temperature the bag is designed to keep a person alive not necessarily warm. When cold weather camping always take a bag that is rated at least 10 degrees colder that what the weather will be.

As far as what to wear, I suggest sleeping naked. Yeah that's right, I said naked.

Here is what you do. Before you go to bed make sure your body is clean and dry and change into the clothes you plan on wearing the next day. then before you climb into your sleeping bag do some sort of very brief exercise such as push ups or jumping jacks. Not so many that you will even be close to sweating but just enough to get your heart pumping. 10 or so usually works. Jumping jacks work better since you are using you upper and lower body. The purpose behind that is to get increased blood flow to your muscles. Blood = warmth. As soon as you are done climb into your sleeping bag and remove your clothes. If you are using a mummy bag you may want to hurry and remove them before you climb in if you don't have quite enough room to do it in the bag. After removing your clothes keep them in the bag with you down towards your feet. Buying a slightly longer bag (if possible) than what you actually need makes this work better.

18. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

Definitely socks, usually light weight though, sometimes I've sweated through my socks when a little too warm and had the the feet of the sleeping bag actually get damp. And damp means cold. New clean and dry and not too many layers. Getting too tired to change and wearing used and maybe sweaty clothes takes too much energy out of you. You want to keep you warm and not spend energy heating things you don't need to be wearing.

19. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

The obvious answer would be, with a partner. [:D]

20. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

I cant do that with mine. he doesnt even fit real good in the pup. our "pup" is a 130 lb chocolate lab-golden retriever mix. a big boy who I always miss whenever we go camping.