How to take awning down w/o lowering PUP

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by kkay5, Jun 7, 2015.

1. kkay5

kkay5 New Member

We are new PUP owners and just took our PUP for it's second night of camping. This time we tried the awning out. I noticed last night several of the campers at the KOA put their awnings up before they went to bed. We kept ours up because we weren't sure how to get it down without lowering the PUP. Is there a way to do that? Or do you just leave your awning up the whole time. I was just thinking about what we would do if a big windstorm came up during the night. Thanks for your help.

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

If your awning is the "roll up in a bag" style, you'll need a short ladder* or some very tall friends... but there are some which are mounted on a roller, and can be retracted by a spring, like a roller blind, or simply by turning a handle.
    This second type may be the ones you noticed being retracted nightly.

* We carry a lightweight 3-step folding ladder on board, and it comes in handy for all sorts of things

3. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

If I had to take my owning down at night I would not go through the trouble of setting it up. Just set it up, stake it down (rubber mallet is very useful since most pads are gravel).

If I have to roll it up I stand on my cooler.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually also stake mine out and leave it up. BTW it is much easier to roll a bag awning with two people working together.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pull ours unless some very severe winds were predicted. I also don't consider myself "very tall" (I'm about 6"1") but can easily stand on the step and tie a least two of the awning ties up easily. I can even do it from the ground if necessary but that's a little more of a stretch.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Back when I was growing up my dad stood on picnic table, mom stood on the cooler to roll up the awning if there was any chances of storms especially with wind. Now the awning on my parents old pop up (now mine) was real lousy and didn't handle wind very well. So they were usually extra cautious. After it flipping on top of the roof and leaving a huge dent in the aluminium (thank goodness it was only that) they didn't take any chances. Now when they gave the popup to me I decided it wasn't worth the headache to put the awning up at all. It wasn't one where you could put it up and down by one's self. much less in a hurry if there was a storm brewing. If I was real desperate to get out of the sun I jerry rigged a tarp awning. It would have been a different story if I had a decent awning that could with stand even a little wind that you find in a those quick summer storms.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Once out, I do not take mine down, I stake it with the screw type dog tie outs or long stakes, I also use 4 tie outs if bad weather is coming. If I have no other option but to take down I use a 2 step ladder that I carry. It is not easy doing this tho. and is much better with 2 people doing
    rolling it up and stowing in the bag.

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'm just tall enough enough to roll ours up using the step...but it's a PITA so I leave it out and stake down or tie off to something.

10. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We carry a small light weight step ladder in our storage box. If not mine is too tall. Always easier with the wifes help. We don't take it down if we don't have too, but I monitor the weather closely too. There are lots of times I just don't put it out if the forcast appears to be too windy. We woke up to it blowing up on top of the camper one morning right after we bought it. I did purchase a stake kit so that should help it be more secure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk