How to test if water pump is good on my 2002 Cheyenne?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Camper054, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hello, all-

We have camped in our popup, but did not use the fresh water tank or the water heater. We are getting ready for another trip soon and thinking it will be cold, I want to use the water heater and fresh water tank (upcoming camping site do not have water hookup, only electric). I know the water heater works since the previous owner showed me hot water running when we bought it. But, he had the fresh water line hooked to his home outlet. I should have checked if the fresh water tank system was good, but I guess I was too excited :). Later, I found out that the hose to the fresh water tank was busted, which I bought a new one and fixed. I also checked the water tank and there appears to be no leak/cracks. Couple of questions:

1. Currently, I do not have a battery plugged in (I am planning on getting one soon). Before I do, can I use home outlet (using a 30 amp adapter), to check if the water pump works (of course, after filling the fresh water tank)?

2. I also do not know if there is a switch or something to turn the water pump on. I am posting a picture where I can see two switches when I lower the sink. I think one is a main shut off switch (on the right top corner). And, the one on the left - is that the pump switch? Which means when I pull up the sink, the switch is turned on and if the fresh water tank is full and the pump is working, then turning on the cold water faucet should give me water?

3. I also have an outside shower - should it work the same? Meaning, if I turn on the cold water faucet of the outside shower, I should be getting water, if all system is working?

Please note, I do not have a battery hooked up yet - do I need to, to check the water system or can I use my home outlet to test this?

Thanks so much in advance for your help and comments.
    MC
    Switches.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Your correct, fill the water tank. Flip up your galley, push the switch. You should here the pump run untill it gets up to pressure then shut off. All your faucets should work. The ac power will get converted to dc power like the lights do. Test it out.

Dback2k4 and Camper054 like this.
  3. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Thanks so much @Sjm9911 will do and let you know how it goes....

4. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

If the tank hasn't been used in some time I'd recommend sanitizing it before using it. Lots of articles about how to do it, but essentially run some bleach and water through the system and thoroughly flush before filling for your trip.

5. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@Dback2k4 , YES! I believe the tank has not been used in last 6 yrs at least if not more, so definitely, I need to 'sanitize' it - good reminder! BUT, the pump has to work first :).

Dback2k4 likes this.
  6. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@Sjm9911 , @Dback2k4 , and others, I have one more question. If I got hot water through the faucet when PO showed me that the water heater was working, does this mean that the water pump is okay? (please note the PO had water line hooked up to his house outlet). The water heater does not have water pump, right, so the water pump that should work with fresh water tank water is good?

Thanks!

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

No.

When you have the house outlet hooked up, you are getting water pressure from the outlet. The pump does not figure into the equation.

[​IMG]

Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No, because the pressure your using to move the wayer is from the city line. Only way to test the pump ,is to disconect or shut off the city water, fill the tank and run the pump.

bheff likes this.
  9. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Ouch....okay, I get it - thanks...I will soon find out if the pump works or not...I have a feeling it may not as it has not been used for many (at least 6 yrs)...it is not that expensive and not difficult to install - thinking of the worst...:)

10. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Do you hear the vibration when you turn the faucet on? Might just be a blown fuse somewhere. On my 99 Coleman Bayside, the water pump was under the slide-out dinette, not sure where on your Cheyenne it would be. There should be a switch somewhere to turn it on, mine was beside the sink. That switch and the faucet both have to be on/open for it to run.

11. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@Dback2k4 , I haven't had a chance to 'mess' with the water system, yet. I have plans to open up the pup in a day or two (have a camping trip planned next weekend), and check it and get back to you all. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.