How to winterize popup?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by elino, Sep 20, 2020.

1. kristy obryan

kristy obryan Member

I live in Illinois as well and take my camper to an rv dealer to get it winterized. Its very reasonable and they do a once over on the camper. They actually caught some leaks in some pipes that could be pretty costly if left unattended. Also, storing our camper inside is not an option for us, so I invested in a high quality cover this year, because I don't want to leave it unprotected.

2. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

Please do NOT use poison. It doesn't kill rodents on the spot. Instead, they may die where birds and animals that eat the rodents can find them and be poisoned too.

Susan Premo likes this.
  3. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

Susan Premo likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, but i dont find they happening by me. The health department uses poisen. And i do also. I use spray for bugs and blocks for mice. My cats, that catch outside mice havent died yet. And i dont see an absence or birds in the area. If you dont want to use it thats ok. But please dont tell me not to.

aan1129 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Upon , about 5 minuts of resurch on goggle the stuff sold to the public had little to no effect for secondary exposre. The one that may have a problem is the Profesional ones, but they say the amount of dead things to build up enough of theposion in the system toactually cause a problem will probably never happen. Your animal would have to feast on dead posiened animals for weeks. I figure this is why health departments and farms use posien to control rats. Just make sure you limit the acess to it, use a rodent box, and store the spare stuff safely.

6. Sherronlee

Sherronlee Member

I guess it partially depend on how long your winters are, which would impact how long your trailer is put away. Our winters are usually 4 to 6 months, so the moth balls are all gone when we open the trailer. We leave it open for about a week before we load and use it but in all honesty, there is no moth ball smell when we first open it after the winter. Moth balls now come with each one wrapped in a paper pouch ~ when we open the trailer, all the paper pouches are empty.

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  7. Millennium Camper

Millennium Camper New Member

I am in Florida so do not plan to winterize the new PUP we got, but I want to prevent rodents or wasps. Can I put steel wool inside any vents and just leave them there for perminent? Like, can it handle extreme heat? Sorry if my question is silly. I am hoping the answer is yes.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yepper, use/used steel wool, no probs...you can also use copper mesh similar to steel wool, Amazon has it...***Don't permanently block vents

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=copper+m...244500&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7bqny8i19e_e

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

I also like to use a permiter spray, like ortho home defense. I think it helps.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

They do make a special screens that I believe you can leave on permanently. I wouldn’t use steel wool permanently as that could block too much airflow for the appliance to operate correctly. Check out Amazon I believe they are called Camco screens. I have no idea if they can fit a popup though or if they can be modified to fit.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

How did it do over the winter? Any feed back? For what it's worth, I use compressed air and blow the water lines out. Anti-freeze only goes in the drains.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I would not use steel wool in the vents, it will rust. and most actual vents are there for a reason. People do use copper or stainless steel (which probably still rusts, IIRC) "wool" in opening around pipes. We sealed any opening we could find with a flashlight with caulking. We have a couple of posts to seal on the TT when the weather is warm enough on a weekend.
    There are screens specifically meant for the, furnace, hot water tank, refrigerator vents, which don't impede the air flow enough to matter. We have not put them on our fridge, but did on the furnace and HWT. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Protec...ents/dp/B00192JFBI?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1
    Our camper experiences temps from teens (occasionally lower) to 100+.

13. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Who ever told you that is right, just because you don't see an absence of bird life doesn't mean there isn't any. Their already declining, and if you truly love the outdoors, then you'd need that advice.

14. Susan Premo

Try it in your coffee, see how long you stay healthy, it's bad stuff, you like outdoors, you like camping, it just makes sense to not use poison. She was correct, it is in the mice or whatever you dont want around, and it will build up inside your cats, then they could die a very horrible death. I love cats, and wouldn't want that to happen to them.

15. Susan Premo

16. Susan Premo

It actually worked for me!

17. Sjm9911

Why would i put in im my coffee? I was talking about secondary poisoning. It dosen't happen. Of course poison is bad, lol. And you are all using it now. Any product that is rated to kill coronivirus is listed by the eps as posion. So, your lysol wipes, etc. Place the blocks so other animals will not eat it. As i said, all the health departments use it for mitigation of rats and mice etc.