how useful if the last pound of propane in my 20 Lb tank?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Anthony Hitchings, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

advanced searching was not getting me an answer.

What happens to my Suburban cooktop burner flame as my propane runs out, especially as I cross the last 1 Lb mark (or maybe its the last 1/2 Lb mark?

We have never run out of propane in our 2 years of using this camper, but I would like to know if there is advance warning in behaviour/appearance of the cooktop flame.

BTW - we carry a digital scale with us on vacation, for weight control of the two occupants, and periodically also weigh the propane tank.

We alos carry a portable camp stove that uses disposable cannisters. So breakfast is assured, even if we hav eno "central heat"

FWIW - our longer term propane usage for spring and fall in the Southwest (or winter in Death Valley) is averaging 5/8" Lb/day in cooler weather (significant number of nights of 44 deg). Likely a lower usage in true summer camping.

2. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

At some point the flame will just start getting smaller from lack of pressure and the pressure in the tank eventually would be just too small to push out the last little bit of gas. Exactly when that happens would depend on the ambient temp.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Based on my propane campfire (connected to the tanks on the camper), the flame just starts getting low until there is not enough pressure and it goes out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. On mine there is no change up until it is just about to die out the flame may get a little lower before burning out completely a minute later. Little to no advanced warning.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Never noticed it on my BBQ grill at home and I have run out of propane while cooking. So no notice. As steve said, I do notice it on the fire pit. But they use more propane.

6. Anthony Hitchings

.. and that was my wife's recollection of how our propane grill behaved (we now have a natural gas grill hooked up to city gas).

We will therefore operate on the assumption that we can use most of the propane in the tank. The spare portable cooktop and its gas cannisters are inside the camper, so if the cooktop flame goes out we can still have a hot breakfast (and hot coffeee) without stepping outside the camper :) As for lack of central heat, we can always add warm layers.

Thanks for the responses :)

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When in doubt, ask Hank!

8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The pressure in the tank will remain the same until all the liquid is gone. Then the tank pressure will start dropping as you draw from it. At some point your stove will not function properly

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  9. Anthony Hitchings

that does sound scientifically enough to be convincing (that and a little high school learning)

Susan Premo likes this.
  10. Phil O'Regan

Phil O'Regan Member

Mercaptan gas is added to propane to give it a strong rotten-egg smell. I swear that when a tank is nearly empty, the mercaptan smell gets stronger even if the gas is lit and burning. I used to rent a very small house that had a propane range (stove/oven). It had two 20 lb tanks outside with a manual switch between them. I could tell from the rotten-egg smell of the pilot light when a tank was about to run dry. And no, it wasn't leaking; I could just smell it from the burning pilot light, especially if I had been out of the house for a few hours.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That last pound must be useful…. Otherwise they’d be selling 19lb tanks, right?? [:)C]

Sj flagstaff and PopUpSteve like this.
  12. tombiasi

Ethyl mercaptan usually burns with the propane and one wouldn't smell it. If there is no burning, as with a leak one would smell it. When the tank is running on fumes it's not unusual to smell it.

13. tombiasi

Last pound is as good as the first.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

If this was true, 1lb bottles wouldn't work.

Sjm9911 likes this.