How would you spend it?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by inthedirt, Feb 28, 2017.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Looking at a Jayco Baja and just might pull the trigger this weekend. Knowing that I can't leave well enough alone, I'm looking at mod ideas for it. Here's the situation:

When I bought my new phone, the Verizon kiosk made a mistake and authorized a $225 gift card from Costco, where the kiosk was located. My wife thought she'd try and get in on the bargain and chose the same phone 2 weeks later hoping to get the same gift card. Turns out, Verizon made a mistake. Her gift card was only $25. Still, they honored their mistake and our cards came in the mail last week. Now, what to do to the Baja?

Its a 2005 in great condition. Considering its still winter, the dealer didn't want to fully open it up while parked outside. He said that if I came back and was serious, they'd move it inside and open it up for me. I'm serious enough to make the 4hr drive in my beater truck that gets 9mpg. If I buy it, the Baja comes with 2 propane tanks full, 2 new batteries, and a complete tune-up (kidding). They have verified that all appliances work and offer a short warranty. It has decent tires, a new full-size spare, a built-in volt meter for the batteries, and I already have a 100w solar setup with 2000w invertor for my dorm fridge. So I ask again, what would you do?

2. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

I would look at the date on the tires first. I have bought two jayco baja used. Both had cool off road tires with big treads and very little wear. Both times the tires were the originals, and past their best before date ( more than 5 years old). The first trailers tires were original from 2004, and we're showing cracking. Last year I bought a 2009, and the we're also showing signs of cracking.

3. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

I would look at some ideas for the outside of the camper. We got Cabelas camp kitchen, and love it. Maybe Costco has something like that. We never cook in the camper. My wife is afraid of drawing ants. We make sure that we have enough shelter on the outside to cook comfortably and eat inside if necessary, but that has only happened once. Get some nice chairs. Look at converting all the to LED's. That will save on power consumption. We don't shop at Costco, so I don't know what all they carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HernandezHome likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Knowing what to suggest from Costco is more difficult than a gift card to Amazon or such.
    They have the Campchef LP stove most of the time - yesterday ours had one set up that had a couple of burners and a grill or griddle.
    We bought a soft indoor/outdoor rug there and are using it inside the TT (cut to fit).
    The Goal Zero roadshow was set up. If we didn't already have a good assortment of their products, and I had a gift card, I'd probably buy a LED light, or one of their free-standing storage batteries. We have the Yeti 150, and it is very handy - we can use it to power the Endless Breeze fan anywhere in the site we need it, same with the lights; plus we use it to charge the cell phone and Kindles. (Our original solar panels were GZ, we still have them, so will be able to charge the Yeti separately from the Zamp panel charging the TT's batteries. Didn't need to recharge it on any trip last year, but we have a 2-week trip this year.)
    Folding, molded plastic tables - they have several sizes. We used the small one (not usually in stock at Costco) inside our pup, but they have other sizes that would be handy outside. I don't remember seeing the very handy roll-up aluminum tables at Costco.
    Folding chairs, shade structure
    You could buy a lot of small items - not as much fun as something big - flashlights, batteries, etc.

5. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Seen/played with some GoalZero products and frankly, their pretty expensive for what you get. I have a couple of LED lanterns already, and a pretty good stock of LED light bulbs, so retrofitting will be accomplished easily. Just bought a house that came with leftover wood flooring, about 13 boxes. Thought about putting that in on top of the linoleum to spice up the looks, and a place a few small rugs down on entry and by the beds.

I like the outdoor kitchen idea. I don't cook inside either, save for a bag of Jiffy Pop every now and then. I can't stand the smell of food permeating my sleeping areas. We fish a lot, and thats the worst smell to try and get out. Plus, I'm in bear country! I'll look at beefing up my kitchen items. Costco has plenty of that! Will also look into the tires. I've got a set out in my shop that'll fit and are the same size. They aren't the "cool looking" mud terrains, but more of an all-terrain tire that should be more pleasant on the road noise and vibrations. Will also look at replacing the bedding, maybe a memory foam mattress topper or heated mattress pads. Gotta also stock up on the basics, paper towels/plasticware/first-aid/etc. Appreciate the advice so far.......keep 'em coming!!!

6. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

If you were closer,I'd sell you my Cabelas Deluxe camp kitchen. They are nice,but heavy,and even broke down ,the carry bag takes up alot of room. Personally, I'd look at the zero gravity chairs. We have a pair and love them.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we started looking for solar items, Goal Zero was one of the few easy-to-use choices, at least that we could find. We tend to bargain shop, I think the only thing we paid full price for was the first two panels, maybe either the light bar or lantern. (We bought some pieces at REI garage sales, and used our dividend and discount last year for the Yeti, after discovering the garage sale predecessor had died over the winter, possibly due to neglect.)

IIRC, some people have found good batteries for pups at Costco.

For other kitchen supplies, Costco usually has good cutting boards, skillets (we finally bought good Calphalon to go with our SS Magma, since we don't take our cast iron camping), acrylic drinking glasses. Sometimes what you can find depends on which Costco you shop in and when you go there. We have two within a few miles of us, I prefer one to the other, but we shop at both. (plus the Sam's a block from each)

8. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Picked up a solar shower and a couple of gravity chairs last summer after dirtbike trip with a new riding partner. I tried some of the equipment that he had brought along and was sold. Kid's fight over our chairs around every campfire! Looked into extra solar panels from Costco, but I can get them much cheaper elsewhere. Thinking I'm best off with bedding and kitchen stuffs from them. Not as fun, but I do like to eat well and sleep comfortably (my tent days are long-gone!).

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If I had $250 at Costco to spend on the PUP, I guess it would have to be tires or 12V (or 2X 6v) batteries. Perhaps a cooler if I needed a new one. Maybe a set of pots and pans specifically for PUP, with some left over.

Costco just isn't a place that has a lot for my PUP needs. In fact, they don't even carry tires in my size, so I order from Amazon.

Have fun!

10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Amazon is usually my go-to place to shop, or Ebay. I'm with you.....Costco doesn't offer a lot for my camping needs, but thought I'd get alternate ideas or opinions. Contrary to my kid's beliefs, I don't have ALL the answers ALL the time. (Just mostly [;)])

11. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Although I don't have a Costco option around here, I understand your dilemma. When I have a similar option that's not all that cost effective, I rationalize it this way; what can I save the most $ on with this card? Even if it's not camping related, it can free up other money like groceries or school clothes that will, in turn, free up other money to spend elsewhere. From time to time, I get BassPro gift cards. Their prices aren't all that great on cast iron, gravity chairs and such, but if I can find some blue jeans or if my wife can find some shoes or something else that she would have bought anyway, I feel free to spend the offset $ at Amazon or somewhere that my dollar would go further on camping gear.

12. mrobuck

mrobuck New Member

Guessing you have the Coleman already full stocked? (We like to have full sets of pots, pans, plates, sleeping gear, clothes etc.. stored in the PuP so we can just go and not have to worry about loading it) If you don't have that, then maybe consider those things for the new Jayco. (Jealous BTW)

Other ideas?
    Down payment on the Honda Power Invertor
    Sway Master Electronic Sway Control
    Hot water heater (camp chef/ZODI/Coleman H2Oasis)
    Zero Gravity Camp Chairs

Tires are always safe way to go... but who wants safe when you can dream and get a new gadget :)

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of stuff from Costco for the popup...

folding chairs (wide and very comfortable)
    kitchen stuff
    lots of ziplock (extra large ones for towels and sheets)

For you:
    a new cooler would do good (they are much better than the old ones)
    canopy if you need one
    camp stove
    Tires (Costco will order tires for your popup).
    etc etc etc etc

14. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Costco does not carry a lot of camper ready stuff..im in ours all the time.. the do carry chairs, table top grills, lounge chairs and a really kick butt easy up..plus other things.. pots and pans, heck go to goodwill for things like that..they do have out door fun stuff, depending on what you like to do.. I have been looking at their kayaks for a couple yrs now.. they also have been caring SUPS, if you are in to that.. the money is in your hand, have fun..

15. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Was looking at their website, but didn't see too much that caught my eye. I know the local stores have a few different items that aren't always listed online. Bought my wife a SUP last summer as a college graduation gift (Nursing), and I do like the idea of a sit-on kayak (I'm not small......6'3/240 lbs)

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would check the tires date. If older than 7 years. I would replace them.

I would give the rest the money to the wife to spend on the camper. My wife started to take a much greater interest in camping once she outfitted our campers.

17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

She just rolls her eyes if I mention anything camping related. Has virtually no interest

18. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Well, went into Costco not expecting much and that's what I ran into. What few things I'd consider for the new Pup, I already had in my camping supplies. The one purchase I did make was anti-fatigue mats under the mattresses. The did make a minor improvement. Will also pick up a memory foam topper once I have the trailer in my shop and can take measurements. If Costco had decent prices on solar goodies, I'd add to my collection. However, their GoalZero stuff is horrendously overpriced. I can get much better deals elsewhere. Case in point: A folding 7w backpacking panel from GZ was $79 and completely useless when I needed it. My 100w panel and 30A charge controller was under $130 and actually charges batteries.

HernandezHome likes this.