How's about a VW Micro ---- uh, TT

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by BelchFire, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Looks like they mounted it on the trailer bassackwards. For the price, I'd have to buy the shell anyway so I could mount mine the right way. Otherwise, you'd look like a wrecker towing a disabled bus.....

VW-style travel trailer is perfect companion for long strange trips

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/17/vw-style-travel-trailer-is-perfect-for-long-strange-trips/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2AFRnlIaJ

2. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Kinda cool ...it is backward though...but then again one rolling down the road "on the hook" was quite a regular sight back in the day. For that kind of money you could start with a real one and build it sweeeet

Screw it let's camp !

3. scalevws

scalevws New Member

It is backwards. But needs to be. That way the cargo doors are on the correct side to get into it. Plus the tongue is most likely mounted to the original motor/tranny mount as they are rear engine. And then there is the weight issue. The bed would be toward the tongue as well.

Probably freaks people out going down the highway.

4. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

I love the last photo with it being pulled by the old VW bus camper, the matching paint job is sweet.
    It would make for great conversation at car shows.

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If you look at all of the photos as a whole, it works. The seating/sleeping area is the front with the small cargo door in it. That sort of looks like what is generally the rear of a microbus, especially with the "bumper". But if you look at the rear of the TT, which is the kitchen end with the window that is shown opened, you'll see a similar shape except the form for the license plate area is present.

Looking at it from the side or rear, all is good. But the front does remind you of the rear end of a real micro. They really should have done something to mimic the VW logo that didn't infringe on trademark, since this is not produced by VW.

From reading the article, this is only a fiberglass shell crafted to look like one - a total fab job.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That's freakin' awesome...the last pic makes me miss my '68 VW split window Kombi. I love me some VW!

7. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Sweet my mom had a 69 VW camper bus and a 72 Bus i remember the 72 pulled a 12 starcraft pop up.