HTT Remodels - One For The Ladies

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Chazy Crew, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

I'm getting ready for a total HTT remodel and would love to see your pictures and hear your ideas. I love to redecorate and I'm really looking forward to taking our HTT from [:(O] to [:D].

This is our NTU HTT - not a great shot but I'll take better pictures once I get in there to clean. My DH is going to be making some doors for the upper cupboards so that they will be a bit more usable storage space for spices, cans, etc.

[​IMG]

As with any remodel I've done in our house; I always come up with a design idea board. It's where I try patterns and colors to see what works and what doesn't. For our HTT remodel I'm going to go the retro modern look. I'm using retro colors (brown, orange and avocado) with bold, modern patterns.

This is my idea board so far...........

[​IMG]

I am just waiting on the material to get here for the bench seats. In the meantime; I am going to be starting the curtains.

Has anyone painted over the wallboard or over the ugly faux wood cabinets? I was wondering if the paint would adhere and how it came out.

I am going to be painting the shower pan as the only one that will be using it is our 12 year old (not enough room for me or DH to fit in there). The toilet is white but the shower pan is an ugly yellowish color so I'm going to use Krylon plastic and paint it white also. On the part that you can see when you open the door (the one with the hole in it); I'm going to use the same smarttile product that I'm using on the kitchen backsplash (see idea board). It is self sticking but it is heat and moisture resistant. I'll just leave the opening and cover it with a vent cover.

[​IMG]

If you have HTT remodel pictures or ideas; please feel free to share.........I love a good remodel!

2. gixer

gixer New Member

I made some doors for that open area up top. Let me tell you we love it. They came out pretty good and work and the cost was not bad.
    love it love it love it

3. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

I wouldn't have much input on custom fabrics to use, but I'd recommend checking out a few campers on the lot at the rv place near you, and get some ideas of what they are using nowadays for colors, fabrics, etc? I can post pics of our setup, but I'd bet you'd get a better idea seeing them in person. You can also attend some RV shows when they come through your neck of the woods.

4. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

That's the one thing I didn't understand about the HTT; the open cupboards. We saw pictures of a floor model that they stored books in the open cupboards. I have a Nook color and rarely ever have a real book in my hands anymore so no books going in there. I thought it was the perfect place for some canned goods, spices and other kitchen items but I didn't want anyone to be able to see them so my DH said he'd make doors.

His idea is to put the hinges at the top so they open up. I think that will work best with the cupboard height so I can get in there a bit easier.

I'd love to see pics of your cupboards!

5. gixer

gixer New Member

I have my hinges up top.
    I am working on posting some pictures. Just been busy.
    Let me try and find out how to post them and I will. It was a great mod. I keep my cloths up there.

6. Sussya

Sussya Member

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see your progress! [:D]

7. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

I got a bit waylaid with my cushions today. I'm recovering the corner one and I marked the original cover when I took it off and for the life of me; I can't figure out how to sew the triangle shaped pieces back together. I have the other corner cover that's still the original fabric and I can't figure out how it was all put together. I'm going to go see my cousin this weekend. She's a more experienced sewer than I am and I'm sure she'll be able to figure it out.

When I drew out my pattern; I clipped all the little notches from the original cover so that I could line them back up again but it still doesn't make sense. It's a rectangle with two long triangle pieces all sew together to make a box and then there's a zipper plaque on the bottom that makes it into a big triangle piece........so confusing.

8. gixer

gixer New Member

[​IMG]

Here are the doors done. I finally figured out how to get this done. LOL

9. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

Your doors look amazing! Great job! I can't wait to get my DH going on mine but he's got a long honey do list right now so they will have to wait their turn LOL

10. gixer

gixer New Member

Thank you.
    The color is off just a bit depending on the light. But it was the best I could do with out doing some custom stain mix.
    I used s simple magnet closure to keep the closed while on the move. I can tell you that it works great. I put all my cloths up there and now they stay.

11. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

They look wonderful and they make so much more sense now. I saw a floor model that had books in them. Four big, long cupboards for books and chotskies when space is at a premium in a camper? Having doors on them gives you so much more usable space.

I'm trying to recover the cushions from our HTT (we know the fabric they pick is always horrendous) but the corner triangle pieces are giving me a major pain in the backside. They are sewn together so weirdly. I will be happy to move on to the big long rectangular pieces. Zippers aren't something I've done a lot of so those were a challenge but thanks to Youtube video's; not nearly as bad as they could have been.

As soon as the cushion covers are done; I'll be moving on to curtains. I really don't understand the one window that has the valance attached to the curtain panels so that you can't shut the curtains. That's not the way they are going to stay. I'm going to put in double curtain rods and have the valance and panels separate so that I can shut the curtains in the evenings. I also bought some baby pom pom trim to use on the tiebacks but that's a project I'll be tackling after the cushions.

I also plan on painting the walls and the cupboards but that will wait until warmer weather as here in Upstate NY; the days are getting colder so winter will be upon us in no time. I just keep reminding myself that in 5 years when our youngest is graduate; we'll be headed to Tennessee where they don't stay shut inside for 8 months of the year!

12. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

I totally gutted my popup and it no longer pops up. The beds still slide out but it's now considered a HTT. Here's a few pics. I was going for a gypsy/aladin sort of feel. Think I nailed it, but tell me what you think. I've installed two windows since these were taken. Still have work to do though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said. Not finished yet.

13. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Any pics of the outside?

14. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

I love it! It's so great to see what creativity can be used to make them a more personal space and a home on wheels.

I have to say that I totally got stuck recovering my cushions.........those corner ones that are shaped like a triangle........OMG so hard to recover.

Keep those pics coming; I love to see what wonderful ideas you've all come up with.

15. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Any updates Chazy?

16. Maggiemoo

Maggiemoo Member

Love the fabrics, Chazy. Be sure to post pictures of your progress

17. Chazy Crew

Chazy Crew New Member

No updates; sorry. In the process of redoing my sewing room so I've had to put off anymore sewing. We also can't work on our htt right right now as we are in upstate ny and have some snow. The inside remodel may have to wait until spring. I will start sewing again once my new sewing room is organized lol