Hub running hot

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Gooseman!, May 28, 2020.

1. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

I have a 2003 Rockwood freedom and I Just repacked my bearings. This is my second time repacking them, and I am having issues with one side running hot. I did both sides, and my passenger side feels warm to the touch, but my drivers side is hot (almost to hot to touch). I used a high temp grease, and I only took a 10 mile drive down the interstate to make sure everything was good. What could cause this?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Will your tire spin freely if jacked up off the ground? Make sure your brakes arent hanging up.
    I drove 800 miles at 70+MPH and my hubs were always cool.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Agreed with the breaks. Otherwise something needs replacing. Bearings do go bad.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

X3

5. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

The tire will rotate. I feel a little resistance, assume it is from the magnet (didn't mention before I do have electronic brakes). If I spin it I can get a full rotation on the tire, should it rotate more than that when I spin it?

6. tombiasi

If you can spin it by hand its probably not the brake. Do the bearing sound smooth? It might be a good idea to pull them and look for discolored race or bearings. If you have an infrared thermometer you should be able to tell if its the hub getting hot or the bearings.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

my brand new axles ran HOT (brake controller not yet installed). I could not get the caster nut off. Borrowed a 3/4" drive with big sockets and loosened each and now no more HOT.

8. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

I do not have a thermometer, but what would be the significance if the hub is hot compaired to the bearings? The bearing sound smooth, I didn't see any discoloration.

9. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

I will try loosening them, I did turn them back, but not much.... Ill do a little more on them, just didn't want it too loose.

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Wheel bearings always seem too loose, but that is the way that they are suppose to be. My wheels spin for a while when I spin them, many rotations.

11. tombiasi

The one causing the heat should be hotter.

12. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

Oh, I see thanks! That didn't cross my mind. Thanks

13. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I turned the nut back on the axle (sure it has a name but don't know what it is), and went for a test drive...It was warm, but not so hot I couldn't touch it. Didn't realize how loose it need to be.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think they say tighten it ,then back it off a rotation, or something like that! Glad that was an easy fix!

Gooseman! likes this.
  15. Gooseman!

Gooseman! New Member

Haha you and me both, I was fearing the worst lol!

16. Austinin

Austinin New Member

I'm running into the same issue with my 1999 Coleman Utah. Only one side is running hot. I tried loosening the castle nut, and could loosen even more when I have the chance but at this point I think I need new bearings. When I regreased a few days ago I noticed some slight discoloration on the races and bearings - I should have just replaced the bearings then. Guess I'll be cramming that in before our departure Thursdays morning. Hopefully that does the trick.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You don't want to run tapered roller bearings loose. You end up running on the edges of the bearing rollers, the wheel is loose and can wobble, and the tire wear is excessive. Tighten the castle nut, and spin the tire, making sure the bearing outer race is fully seated. Then back off to the next nut notch. There should be a little play, but not much. Put the cotter pin in, bend it just a bit, and you're good to go.

There's staining, from some old greases, and then discoloration from heat. Got pictures of the bearings before regreasing? I'm assuming by regreasing, you mean repacking.

18. Austinin

Austinin New Member

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures as I was covered in grease. Really regretting that now! If I wanted to replace the bearings, any recommendations on a store to find them locally? We're running out of time and I'm really starting to stress about the heat generated by this driver side hub. We purchased the pup last year and drive it all year without any repacking or issues, since the previous owner had just repacked a few months prior to our acquisition. As mentioned earlier repacking did nothing to mitigate the heat, which I don't remember having last year, but it's possible we did have and were fine.

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Does the camper have brakes? Could it be a brake adjustment issue?

20. Austinin

Austinin New Member

It does and that could definitely be the issue as the brake controller needed a recalibration this season. I'm not sure that I did it correctly, but in all honesty the trailer feels like it's been braking smoother than ever. Also, the heat is only on one side. Could that still indicate a brake issue?