Hubby won't let me buy a dutch oven.

karichar

Sep 20, 2007
[:(]

Hubby said we don't need it. I like to try different foods. I want a dutch oven but hubby says we will not use it. Want to bet I would use one all the time. I only want a small one. At the most a 8 qt.

Orion

Apr 7, 2008
does he have a favorite dish that would cook better in a dutch oven? Appeal to his food side when he is hungry at the camp ground. That might get you the oven you want.

Orion

Noni

See ya' out there !
May 30, 2008
Herndon, VA
yeap... start with a cobbler as for desert while camping... then ask if he likes it.. and let him know that is better in a DO

Blkymom

Jan 15, 2006
Alberta, Canada
My hubby didn't want me to get one either...I did anyway. He loves the dump cakes and chili. [:)O] Last year we went with my cousin and her family...they thought I was nuts, doing the dump cakes and all. Now they want to buy me a larger DO to make more desserts. [LOL] Her hubby doesn't want one, he just wants to buy me one (and so does his cousin). We're off to BassPro on Saturday and I am expecting them to do it then. [:D]

wardog

Mar 25, 2009
Texas
We don't use ours a lot but do use it at least once everytime we camp. Usually for dessert. My kids love the desserts from the DO. We tried a new recipe this past weekend, Mississippi Mud cake. It was ok but not great. I think their favorite is Chocolate cherry Dr. Pepper cake. Good luck.

c-mans willi

Mar 20, 2010
Perhaps you can get one at Goodwill or Salvation Army and tell him that you made a donation and, what do you know, they threw in a slightly used Dutch oven!

slyspyder

Lake Saint Louis, MO
Mar 8, 2009
I don't think the word "hubby" and "let" should be in the same sentence.... what-- do you have to ask for allowance??

I would say...I love you honey, but I disagree with you and since I am the one doing the cooking I want to buy one. Then give him a big kiss!

Albert and Melanie

The "pup" Palace
Mar 30, 2009
Oklahoma
I feel your pain, DH won't let me buy any more tacky lights. We only have three sets! That's not nearly enough, LOL! I've already told him if I ever find those owls he's just SOL cuz I'm gettin em!

Big Dawg

Jul 25, 2007
The wife got one a couple years ago on clearance at Mejiers. We have used it bunches for desert and a stew. It has been great..

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
slyspyder said:
I don't think the word "hubby" and "let" should be in the same sentence.... what-- do you have to ask for allowance??

I would say...I love you honey, but I disagree with you and since I am the one doing the cooking I want to buy one. Then give him a big kiss!

My thoughts exactly. Husband doesn't equate to "boss'. If you want one and you have the $$ then buy it. What else do you need permision to do?

karichar

Sep 20, 2007
I do apologise. Out of respect for each other we always discuss things. Let me buy was wrong. I can buy it tomorrow if I want it. He never says no to me when we discuss stuff. He is a sweetheart but when I mentioned wanting one he asked if it is really necessary or if I would really use it camping. It was a good point.

FC

Central Florida
Apr 2, 2007
Apopka, Fl
Tell hubby you can get them at Harbor Freight for $24.00. Thats more than half off. Hard to turn down a bargin like that. [:D] Also if you have a 20% off coupon it will cost you $19.00. [:D] [:D]

TnDrew

Feb 9, 2010
Not sure where in Al you are but if you sneek up to Lodge plant in South Pittsburgh TN, not far from Al line, they have a "back room" that is nothing but 2nds and there really isnt anyhting wrong with it, just didnt pass inspection for retail sales.

JayAmyJamy

Mar 30, 2009
I got one word for your man, "pot roast". [CP] MMMMMMM [:)O]

To poo-poo the DO just doesn't make ANY sense. We've used ours every trip since we bought it. We also "discovered" the DO liners. They make the clean up SOOOOOO much mo' betta.

I just don't get the opposition. [?:~{] If you were tent camping, I could give him more slack. But when you can easily pack it in the PUP...

Yooperwannabe

Super Active Member
Mar 31, 2006
Clinton, Illinois
Sorry, if it sounded like I was beating you up. Not the case and I do understand talking things over with the husband. That is what good married couples do. Here is a suggestion. Bake a cobbler or a dump cake, at home in the oven in a regular casserole or cake pan. Then when he is ranting and raving about how dang good it is... ask him how good it would taste at the campground when done in a DO. Umm, umm good.

I have two DO's and a several cast iron skillets, we use at least one of them every time we camp. Just one DO will open up a whole new set of possible meals while at camp. From biscuits for breakfast, to delicious deserts at night, you just can't go wrong by having at least one DO.

PATMD

SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!
Feb 16, 2009
EDEN, NORTH CAROLINA
I was very practical and logical like your hubby until I bought one and made chilli in while camping :shocked: OMG it was so fantastic! and pot roasts are to die for! last year i bought a second one so i could make make a dessert! this year i want to perfect cooking with just coals. I could kick myself for not buying one years ago.
pat

hunt182644

Dec 1, 2008
They also work great at home, have never taken ours camping. Next time hubby wants something for the pup,more fishing, hunting, golf gear etc. Simply tell him you dont think he will use it enough. [:D]

Oysterpot

Feb 23, 2008
Smithville, Tennessee
Nothin says luvin like somethin from the oven! Dutch Oven that is. [:)O] Macaroni and cheese done outside, Stew, Hash brown casserole, biscuits, fresh bread the list goes on and are all done outside, and some can be done over the fire.

If you have a relative that loves you dearly, that cooks in a DO, invite them camping and let them cook up a meal. Be up front with this person or persons explain you are trying to convince hubby you need one.

They are wonderful for camp meals.

propxprt

Jul 26, 2009
wisconsin
When I was in boy scouts we would line the dutch oven with foil,

if we used blueberries, apple, or peaches for filling we would cover with regular jiffy cake mix

if we used cherries for filling we would cover with chocolate jiffy cake mix

stick a few chunks of butter on top, close the lid and cover with coals for a while, and man was that tasty!