Huntington Beach State Park (Murrell's Inlet, SC) 3/15/16-3/21/16

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by MikesRaleigh, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MikesRaleigh

MikesRaleigh Member

Just got back from a great week at Huntington Beach State Park. This was our first time at this campground but definitely will not be our last! This is a Beautiful State Park right on the ocean. There are 3 Beach access trails in different parts of the Campground that I could see. The one closest to our site was a quick 5 min walk thru the woods and then you are on a beautiful stretch of beach that can only be accessed by those in the campground.

We stayed in site #39, which is towards the back of the campground near the tent camping sites and one of the beach trails. I definitely would recommend sites in this part of the park. Our site was very spacious and had lots of trees in the back. There was a good amount of space between neighbors as well. We had originally booked site #88 but I changed it at the last minute when #39 came open and I'm glad I did. #88 is on an inner loop and was very close to the neighbors and had no trees. Many of the interior sites were like this, although they all seemed very nice anyway. Raccoons and Possums are definitely around and not afraid of people. We watched one walk right up on our neighbors site while he was standing right there and start going through his garbage while under his table.

Bathrooms were clean. I saw the workers there every day and they did a good job. Mens side had 2 showers and 2 stalls. They never seemed very crowded and we never had to wait but we were one of only a few pop-up campers in the park so I guess many people just used their own facilities in their mega RV's! There is a camp store with souvenirs supplies, firewood and ice. They sell ice cream and other treats too.

Sites book quickly and far in advance. Many people seemed to be there long term. The people across from us were there for 6 weeks (had to move sites every 2 weeks). Lots of plates from Ontario..not sure what the connection is but the SC tourist people are doing a good job marketing in Ontario I guess! [:D]

The Atalaya Castle is basically on site and is an interesting walk-thru for only $2.00 per person its worth it. Guided tours every day at 2:00 or walk thru on your own. The Campsite also has several nice hiking trails of various lengths where you can view various wildlife..including the Gators sunning themselves in the pond! There is a Nature Center on site that does a "feeding frenzy" every day at 11 where they let you watch and even help feed some of the animals in the tanks they have.

Brookgreen Gardens is just a minute down the road and is a definite must see. We spent a day walking the grounds, looking at the Gardens and statues and reading the poetry. There is also a Zoo on site with several animals that the kids enjoyed. We also happened to get lucky to be there for the Lego exhibit, which was several awesome creations made entirely of Legos scattered throughout the zoo. I think the exhibit is going to be there for another few weeks. We ate at the restaurant on site..food was good and not too pricey. About $60 for 5 of us to eat but that included an appetizer and 2 beers. Tickets to the gardens are a bit pricey but worth it. They are also good for a week so you can come and go and come back again if you missed anything. My wife and daughters went back for a few hours on another day.

I took the kids to Myrtle Beach one day to do all of the touristy things. Mini-golf, Ripleys, Boardwalk, etc. That's the great thing about this campground, its only about a 20 min drive to the Craziness of Myrtle Beach, but you can do it and then get away from it and get some peace, so its the best of both worlds.

Sorry if I am rambling, but I definitely enjoyed my week here so I wanted to share!

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I love that area. Used to go to Pawley's Island every year on a golf trip. There was a restaurant in Murrells Inlet with a shark coming out of the roof. Curious if it's still there. It was very good. [:)C]

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Glad you had a great time. I was down south that way last summer. Stayed at MB thou,drove trough HBcampound and did like it plan on returning sometime soon

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Congrats on a good trip. HBSP is a great place if you get the right site