Hybrid Bunk Ends

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by familyx, Aug 14, 2017.

1. familyx

familyx New Member

Just returned from a weekend camping trip, our last before the kids start school. We had a great time, campsite was awesome and the weather was great right up until this morning when it was time to pack up and it starting raining. I tried to wait it out, got the inside ready, put a few things away in between downpours but then it came time to put in the bunk ends. I get frustrated with my bunk ends so I'm turning to you all. I have a 2008 R-Vision Trail Sport Hybrid (not made anymore) and in order to put the bunk ends aways I have to unvelcro the canvas from the bunk end. Is this normal? In a rain storm it causes my bunks to get wet. I have to throw my canvas up on top of my bunk to get it to close. I looked at leaving it velcro'd but this seemed to cause a bind with the weatherstripping when closing the bunk. The other aggravation I have is that when the bunk end is closed it knocks the canvas out of the track at the top on the inside. Do others have this issue? We really like our hybrid but lately the bunk ends are causing me problems. Is there a hybrid in which you can leave the canvas attached? Are there models in which the canvas doesn't come out of the track?
    Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Matt

2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Most HTT nowadays have canvas that you don't have to unfasten. Permanently attached canvas and interior support cables (rather than under bed support poles) are the best thing to happen to HTT, IMO.

3. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Matt,
    I too have an 2008 R-vision Hybrid although the F18 Bantam Flier.
    The bunk ends canvas is designed to stay fastened with the velcro (hook and loop) when closed but it is up to you. The mattress is fastened with push button fasteners at the top of door or you can let it slide down. Also there are push button fasteners on the sides of the door to hook the mattress on. I try to fold the canvas material and mattress as best I can then put the bow tent pole on top of the mattress. I have not experienced what you are describing as the canvas knocking out of the track.
    I am very picky on not getting any material between the gasket of the door when closing.
    I have stopped mid trip and opened up the bunk ends to dry out the canvas material from the morning dew or recent rain. Rest areas are a good place for this or the parking lot of a restaurant which you can enjoy breakfast while the canvas is drying.
    I say canvas here generally as it is actually vinyl or coated vinyl.
    I have experienced when driving in a heavy rain the front bunk did leak a little around the edges.
    Good luck and happy camping.

4. familyx

familyx New Member

Thanks for the information. Next trip I am going to try leaving the Velcro fastened while I close it up. Maybe that will help with the canvas coming out of the track. What do you do with the "skirt" piece of vinyl that covers the Velcro and associated bungees? Does it get in the way?
    I also saw a picture the other day (of a different model camper) that had a strap to help hold the mattress and canvas up. I may see if I can install something similar.
    Thanks again.
    Matt

5. frankvanw1

6. frankvanw1

Matt,
    All the material is stored inside the hybrid.
    If you tuck everything in like the skirt, bungees, etc. And check that no material is pinched between the seals you should be good to go.
    Please check on YouTube for lots of videos on hybrid setup and take down by dealers, owners, etc.
    OR an RV dealer may be able to show you also.
    Good luck and happy camping.

7. frankvanw1

Some makers put these straps on the inside to contain the material and mattress; if you use the snaps to hold the mattress to the door as r/vision designed you should be good.
    Happy camping.

8. frankvanw1

Some makers put these straps on the inside to contain the material and mattress; if you use the snaps to hold the mattress to the door as r/vision designed you should be good.
    Happy camping.