Hybrid camper-Which has the best quality?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Larry Brew, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Larry Brew

Larry Brew Member

I currently own a Fleetwood Bayside 2007 camper and am looking to upgrade this spring to a hybrid with 2-3 fold out queen size beds. Which one is the best quality. I have looked at a StarCraft, Forest River and Jayco. Any recommendations? Thanks!

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I'm not sure if there is any real quality difference in them if buying new. I think most of us believe that they all could be better made, but acknowledge the price point has a lot to do with it along with the industry itself being overall blah. Buying used, it's all about condition and previous maintenance. I have a 2011 Starcraft 187 TB with 3 bunks. It has been good. My neighbor has a 2004 Jayco that has been good.

3. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Kodiak makes a hybrid CUB series as well.

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Jayco and Starcraft are same hybrids with different stickers. Forest river makes majority of the rest. Best hybrids come from forest river and is is the rockwood roo or shamrock twin models.
    Worst hybrid maker Dutchman and the cub lines.

5. Larry Brew

Larry Brew Member

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

This is like asking which truck is best or what is the best rifle to use for hunting coyotes.. You'll will get all sorts of opinions and suggestions and arguments which really wont help you decide.. Best if you made a list of "needs", "wants" and "deal breakers" then find the one or the multiple "ones" that fit your list, then post links to them asking for opinions on the individual units..

nineoaks2004 and Byrd_Huntr like this.
  7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

That was not my experience.

2011 Dutchmen Aerolite 185E (up until about 2009 the "Cub") built in 2010 was the best of the 3 hybrids we have owned from a fit and finish. initial build quality standpoint. Perfect no, but close.

2013 Keystone 235EXP was decent but left a little to be desired. I did a lot of my own repairs and mods to that one. I would think that by now delamination problems may have surfaced with that one. I anticipated eventually the laminated floor was going to go.

2017 Rockwood Roo 23WS definitely the lowest quality at time of purchase of the 3, and there was a 2016 model year Rockwood Roo 23WS in the mix that was delivered from Factory to Dealer with our name on it with so many defects we refused it. That's a whole other story altogether.

Overall quality with all of them has gotten worse year over year since the recession. A blind man can see it. Go to any dealer lot and line up 3 or 4 of the same floorplan with the same build date, and you'll find the vast differences in assembly between those 3 or 4. Doesnt matter if its a popup, hybrid, TT, 5'er, TH, or a class A/B/C whatever. It also does not matter what the brand name is.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I did a fair amount of research when trying to narrow down the field for my next purchase. The older Starcrafts and Jaycos were better before they got gobbled up, and quality has suffered since then. In the end, if looking for something new, I just came to the conclusion that once you found a floorplan you liked, that had the features you wanted, then just go with that. All of them are going to have some issues after you buy, that just seems to be the nature of the industry these days.

I did like the aluminum framed Livin Lite trailers from a quality standpoint, but never found a floorplan I really liked.

9. PaThacker

I agree. Quality across the board went down. I went in reverse. A 2010 Flagstaff pup, 2008 Starcraft hybrid to 2007 Jayco jay series. Quality was a joke after 2007 recession.

10. PaThacker

I don’t even research travel trailers or hybrids anymore. The changes in adhesives, delamniation caused by heat first and leaks secondary. The continued downward spiral product lines. The end is in sight towards camping in a trailer will be a pastime for us all.

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Good thing most of us here believe in taking good care of what we have.