Hybrid floor repair

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Ghamilton, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

Hey,

I just bought a 2002 starcraft Travelstar 19ck and it is in need of some floor repair. Has anyone every worked on the sub-floor or done and repairs to their floor?

Any help would be great

2. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

4. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Don't fear the fix! Let us know what you have going on and we can all walk you through the repair. If you are handy, even a complete floor replacement isn't as bad as you would expect!

5. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

What i have done so far is remove the top plywood and I'm going to remove the other layer of plywood this weekend and then the Styrofoam. I was thinking of taking aluminum angle iron and making some aluminum supports but i don't know many aluminum joist are under the last layer of plywood. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow or friday

6. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

also i forgot it is all of the floor from the front to the back and i see how they have fixed or so called fixed to spots on the roof for leaks

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Its a huge undertaking and not easy. The aluminum tubes could be on 3' or 4' centers, but probably on 2'. The entire floor is made in one piece, laminated together with glue as you have already found out, and back in 02 would have been run through a huge roller press, that was before vacuum bonding I think. The thing that makes it complicated is how they put it together. You can not duplicate the process they used such as gluing it together. Then the sidewalls and other interior itemsd are put in/on after the floor is installed, so if you cut around them you need to install new nailers to carry the new floor. Its a real bear but people have done it and I wish you the best of luck.

8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Im not sure about that, unlike pup where removing the sides is "easy", removing the sides are almost impossible here. Keep in mind that most of the side will be built on TOP of the floor so replacing a section from one side to the other would be very difficult without adding extra support....

Ghamilton, I wish you the best, please take pictures and either update this thread or create a new on in the camper restoration section. I love to see how you work around these issues. I have a spot in my hybrid that is soft not due to water but i want to fix. So far my initial solution would be to ad another level of flooring (since there is no mold or water) to take the flex out of that section. If you come with a better idea on how to do yours I might switch direction.

Best of luck!!!!

9. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

So im in the planning stage of do i want to use a 2x4 for extra support between the aluminum supports or so i wanna use more aluminum. The problem i have ran into is actually removing the bottom layer of plywood. Some of the wood was wet and rotten and easy to remove but the dry plywood is glues to the Styrofoam and i can figure out how to remove this. Also i cant figure out how im gonna remove the Styrofoam. I wanna replace everything and have watched a youtube video of a floor replace like one but in a regular travel trailer.

Any help on more removal or ideas would be a great help

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I think an oscillating tool will be useful separating the layers. I used one for a boat project and it worked fine but that was a decent layer of fiberglass so I am not sure how destructive it could be for your application. 2x4 will add weight so it depends on your current TV situation, if your TV is going to support the new weight once you are all said and done. That is why the industry use those other materials to try to keep the camper light. frankly, I dont thing you would add more that 100 or 200 lbs to the camper with the added support but just take that in consideration.

Will you please post a link to the video if you can.

Good luck!!!

11. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

12. Old_Geezer

What size are the aluminum tubes? You would be better off to get some of the same size tube and hire a welder to add the extra supports. Better yet a good excuse to buy a MIG wleder and teach yourself if you don't know how. [:D]
    I'd think the foam will have to go with the bottom plywood, and your going to need to deal with the plywood that is between those tubes and the frame rails. That floor was built complete and then set on the frame.

13. Duneslider

Duneslider Member

Any chance you could post some pics of what you are doing/dealing with? I think it would be helpful in offering suggestions. I am not a trailer expert but I was a flooring contractor and have fixed hundreds of rotted out floors in houses, can't imagine a trailer is that different.

14. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

Here is the floor after removal

Attached Files:

15. Old_Geezer

Yikes, what is the distance between the aluminum tubes in the floor sandwich?

16. Duneslider

Duneslider Member

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=73151.0 Found a link to a guy who replaced some of the floor in the same camper. Interesting construction. Makes me wonder if that is how my 2005 Travelstar is made too? So, it was 1/4 luan foam and then 1/4" luan? Not a super sturdy method but it would be light weight and work fine as long as it didn't ever delaminate.

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

So, is the floor running from wall to wall or are the walls actually sitting on top of the floor? The later is what I fear the most. If the floor does not extend under the walls then repairs are lot easier. The 2 pop ups I seen before the sides of the box were sitting on top of the floor requiring the side removal in order to replace the entire floor. Can you take some close ups of that section if you can, when you think about it, if it is not too much trouble? Pretty please!!!!

What are the aluminum pipes you guys talking about? I cant see them in the pictures...

Thanks either way.

18. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

that is the same link as the one in the first reply....

19. Ghamilton

Ghamilton New Member

Yes the floor is sandwiched. We are in process of making metal supports to bolt to the aluminum cross members. Im not worried about weight due to driving a diesel

20. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

so if the camper wall are sitting on top of the floor how are you going to build the floor? I supposed that part wont be replaced hence the need for the crossmemnbers?