Hybrid Owners - Anyone Store Bikes Inside?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by JunkyBurrittos, Sep 14, 2019.

1. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Hi all,

I just bought a small hybrid I tow with a SUV. I figured I could now store bicycles inside during travel, but I don't want to them to bang around and destroy my currently pristine interior. My search seemed to yield answers from folks that had gone fully dark and had wedged their bikes between the bed and wall, not really relevant here.

I was thinking maybe I could make some sort of cheap rack with PVC and maybe strap it in place somehow. I gave away my expensive Prorac fork mount tongue rack with my pup sale, and honestly I would like to transport them without the hassle of having to take off the front wheels every time.

Does anyone store bikes inside the hybrid and if so how do you secure them? I suspect most of you drive trucks and just throw your bikes in the bed, but that's not an option here. Thank you!

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Never done it , but how about putting the bikes in between foam mattress topers, then strap them down to the floor? The topers could be put under the mattresses or on top after your are set up. I was thinking like 2 or 4 d handles on the floor of the TT and then strap it down.

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

i put them on the dinette, have tongue forks mounted on a board and strap the board to the benches. still have to take the front wheels off the bikes though. I can put four bikes on it 2016_0731 02 Bikes loaded in Escape.jpg .

4. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

This is one of the better mods for bike transport. I was lucky that I could put two bikes in our hybrid, between the dinette and the kitchenette. We just wrapped old blankets ov9each one to prevent scratches.

5. Sjm9911

Yes it is a cool mod.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, securing them is necessary. We're lucky with our TT, in that my husband's bike can be strapped to the bed on the few trips he takes it along. It's a pain for overnight stops, but otherwise works well.
    If you have a way to secure the stand/frame well, that would be a good solution.

JunkyBurrittos and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. JunkyBurrittos

Thanks Gals of Escape this is exactly what I was thinking of, although I’m still not sure what I could attach straps to the table without drilling holes in my camper. Maybe I could just tighten the board to the table with rachet straps? I’ve got to make this process easy or I just won’t do it. We’ve had too many trips where we left the bikes home as we ran out of time to deal with the loading process.

How do you protect the table from being scratched from the board? I’m thinking maybe gluing foam mat to the bottom. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

8. JunkyBurrittos

Thank you Spencer. I was going to use old blankets but the foam toppers is a great multi use idea. My aisle is pretty narrow though, at least too narrow to lay a bike down, so might have to use fork mounts and strap them upright.

9. GalsofEscape

I drilled holes in the bench boards to run the straps thru to hold the tongue boards down. The tongue boards do not sit on the table so there is no chance of scratching the table. Some people have been able to attach the tongue forks to the underside of the bench boards and then just flip them upright when they wanted to use them. unfortunately - my bench supports were located in such a way that I would have only been able to carry 2 bikes using that method. as for using a ratchet strap, my bench boards are not study enough for that - they are thin pieces of plywood.
    Since the bench boards are just a piece of plywood - i did not mind drilling holes in them at all as they are easily replaced and the holes would then be gone. When not in use, the bench cushions cover the holes anyway.

it does take some time to load the bikes, but with a hybrid - we can load them up a couple of days before the trip (or store the bikes in the camper). they do not interfere with any of the loading process if they are in the camper first. It does not have to be a last minute chore. That is one of the advantages of a hybrid over a popup.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. JunkyBurrittos

Oh I understand, you are drilling on unseen plywood. I was thinking I’d have to drill holes for d rings in visible spaces to anchor straps. I’m still not sure how you are attaching your tongue boards with straps — I’m wondering if just running a bolt through the drill hole and securing with a wingnut might be the easiest. It would be ideal to have something I don’t have to reinstall every travel day, especially for those short weekend trips.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. GalsofEscape

Then look at attaching the fork mounts to the underside of the bench board - then you would only have to flip the board over to use it - it may work for you. (it would have worked for us if i were only looking at taking two bikes)
    I just thread the straps through the holes and make an X pattern to hold the tongue boards down - running the straps through the tongue forks keep the board from moving side to side (I really need to take a picture of the straps in place).

edit: if you look at the left side board in my picture in my first post - you can see the straps holding the left board down to the bench. The whole thing also gets more study once the bikes are put in and secured.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. JunkyBurrittos

Ok mod peeps I want to affix the fork mounts to the super thin plywood on the bench and just flip it over whenever I need to load bikes, but I don’t want screws or hardware to be coming through on the side we sit on. I’m thinking mount to a 2 or 3 inch wide board and gorilla glue it to the plywood? Would that be strong enough to hold bikes on bouncy roads?

13. Sjm9911

Use 1/2 inch plywood , and screw through the top side down( the bottem side holds the bike holder) glue also ( probablynot needed) , and or use a bolt. The sitting side gets the smooth side of the bolt , screw. ( use bolts through what the bike tire fork sits in, now it does doubble duty. )

14. JunkyBurrittos

Oh, brilliant Spencer! Drill through from the opposite side as the holder. Of course! I think I’ve got it!

And I shouldn’t worry about the integrity of the plywood if I do it this way? This is some super thin board! I still can’t get over how much sturdier everything was on my 2005 pup!

15. Sjm9911

If its that thin , just cut a 1/2 peice of plywood to replace it. Trace it out and transfer over the stops. It will be so small of a difference you couldn't tell from the other side , or when sitting.

16. GalsofEscape

sounds like a plan - my bench boards are also thin, but i think it would hold the fork mounts. also keep in mind, i put the bikes in front to back like you would do for a bike rack -so there is one fork holder on the left bench and one fork holder on the right bench. Once the bikes are in the fork holders, i run a strap to secure the bikes together, this prevents any side to side movement of the back tires. The bikes do not move at all in transit and i don't think there is much stress on the fork holders.