Hybrid questions

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jmh1007, Aug 25, 2014.

1. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

We are seriously considering moving from our pup to a Hybrid. I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to get one without a bathroom? I would rather have extra storage I think. Does the table/couch make beds? I would like to sleep 8, what size do we need? I have only looked online and around the campground. We haven't talked to a dealer yet. We will probably wait until the Sport Show specials but I want to know what we want when we get there.

2. pokeyt

pokeyt New Member

Hi there,

We went from pop-up to hybrid two seasons ago and haven't looked back. Loved our pup but wife is really happy with our hybrid and we end up using it significantly more often due to the increased flexibility. To your question:

- do all have bathrooms? I've looked at every floorplan I can find, all had bathrooms. We use our shower for storage but are really happy to have the private toilet and vanity.

- what size to sleep 8? We have the Jayco X20e, which technically sleeps 8. If I needed to regularly sleep more than 4-5 I'd go for a 23 foot box with triple fold-out beds. The sofa and dinettes do make into beds, and in the case of my Jayco I was able to find an air mattress that was an exact size match for the dinette bed platform.

Hope that helps.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have not seen one and I have looked at a lot of HTT's over the course of the last 4/5 years or so. It might be possible to special order one without a shower. We have never used the shower in our current HTT, and in the previous one I used it once to say I did. Everywhere we have ever gone has had shower houses. We have a stand up rack in the shower with bins, its used for storage. But if we ever need to use the shower it its there.

We have a 23' range 2 bunk model and it will sleep 6 (adults) comfortably. Our Keystone Passport 235EXP has the largest dinette fold down sleeping area of any brand /floorplan. You could also sleep a child or vertically challenged person on the fold down sofa for 7. 8 would be pushing it.

In our previous 19' HTT, an Aerolite 185E you could sleep 4 adults on the bunks, 2 children on the dinette, and a 3rd child or possibly an adult on the sofa.

Like PokeyT said you'll need to go to a 3 bunk HTT for sleeping 8 and even then it will be cramped. 3 bunk HTT's have shorter fold down sofas and shorter dinettes so sleeping 8 adults in one could be a challenge. If storage is a concern a 3 bunk HTT may not be the best choice, any way you stack it the 3rd bunk takes up area that could be used for larger dinettes, kitchen areas and their built in storage etc. Thats the choice / trade off / decision no one can make but you.

They love to make the claim "sleeps 8" etc but it is seldom true if ever in a HTT. They should say "sleeps 8 extremely cramped and uncomfortably" [:D]

Look at the show but do not buy at the show. I have never seen a "show special" price that could not be beaten by a lot. The cost of the floorspace lease is figured into that show special pricing. The dealer is not at that show because he's a nice guy.......he's not [LOL]

4. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks! Most of our 8 would be children and then only if it's raining so bad they can't sleep in the tent.

Geezer - I told my husband that they probably won't even have any hybrids at the show. We'll see. I have been shopping online but I would really like to get in one and wander around. For some reason there aren't any in our area right now. We live in Kansas City and it seems the closest one I can find is a couple of hours away. We may have to take a day trip. If we do, I'm sure we will haul one home!!

5. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We moved to a hybrid last summer, we love it. We had a larger pup, with a shower/potty combo that we loved very much. No regrets.
    We have a 23' KZ with 3 queen size bunks. So technically that is sleeping for 6. The dinette also converts, but it would be for smaller children only.
    Our floorplan is VERY open in the rear bunk area.
    [​IMG]
    With an air mattress you could very easily sleep 2 to 3 more, just on the floor.

As for the bathroom, I have never seen any hard-sided TT without a bathroom. I am sure you could special order one, or remove it yourself. I am not sure I would do this, just for the resale factor. If you ever plan on selling it, you would really need to find the right person....

6. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Been doing the camping business for quite a few yrs now.. Also the RV shows in our area never have seen a HYTT without a bathroom.. I think the St Louis area has better RV/Sport shows than KC..And i am from KC, but now live in the Lou.. Go Chiefs !! good luck in your hunt...

7. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I agree. A HTT without a bathroom would be a very hard sale.

8. MissLou

MissLou Member

Believe me, you'll come to LOVE that bathroom!

9. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Strange. I am scouring the manufacturer websites tying to find something small and light that HAS a shower.

10. redfragglerocker

redfragglerocker Jen & Mike, Andrew (8) and Justin (5)

We moved from an old popup to a keystone passport 23EXP. We chose the model we did because the fold-down sofa was on the left, above the water tank and heater. This made it easier to walk through the camper and we didn't lose storage under the dinette.

We use the bathroom toilet and sink, but rarely use the shower. We took out the shower head and curtain and store those in case we want / need to use them someday. In the shower area we soft-installed three sets of drawers where we keep the kids clothes. These are secured against the outside wall of the bathroom with bungee cords and a metal rod that holds the three together through hooks on the back. They don't move while traveling, but we can easily take them out to fill them in the house or to use the shower if needed. We were careful not to mess with the integrity of the shower wall or shower pan.

On the back wall we installed fishing rod holders and a hook to hold a collapsible basket for dirty laundry. On the inside wall, by the door, we have spring hooks to hold the broom, dustpan, rake, awning hook, and a few other taller items that we don't want to keep in the main area of the camper. We installed an over the door hook rack (5 hooks) on each side of the bathroom door too. These are great for coats, towels, purses, and whatever else we may want to hang-up.

We have no lack of storage in the camper, and the clothes in the bathroom offer the kids (and their friends) a little privacy when they are picking out their clothes and getting changed.

We also have two sets of smaller plastic drawers that we use for extra clothes, games, toys, dog supplies, etc. These fit perfectly next to the door of the camper, near the fold-down bunk, and under the shelves in the read bunk. We have one in the dead space near the couch and the bed too.

We have camped with 4 adults, 4 - 6 kids, and 2 dogs a few times. We do set-up a tent for the older kids sometimes, but we can all fit comfortably at bedtime and everyone can navigate to the bathroom without tripping over everyone else.

11. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks everyone! We will definitely look at the Keystone, haven't seen that one.

And Fleetwood...go Royals!!!!

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

[:O] [:O] [:O] [:O] WOW! I think this might be the first time I have ever disagreed with the Geezer. Sorry John, but I'm calling you on this one.

I appear to be the only Rockwood guy here. Check out the 233S, assuming you have a TV big enough to tow it. It technically sleeps 10 (it can be done), but I acknowledge for that many storage could be an issue if you are not creative. Now, the 235 dinette might be the biggest sleeping area per dinette, but my U dinette opens up to be plenty comfortable for me to stretch out on and I'm 6'2. I also sleep very comfortably on the couch with the wife, I wouldn't want to do it every night but for naps it works great so I don't see why a couple older kids couldn't sleep on it for a week. I know my sofa is significantly longer than a comparable Jayco model of 2013.

Just look around. They Keystones are nice units, but there are many many options out there. You definitely want a 3 bunk unit though with that many people, without a doubt.

13. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks, Jay. The Roo is what we have been looking at. They seem to be what is available here around KC. I'm not worried about our TV. My husband recently bought a new RAM 1500 ecodiesel. Shouldn't be a problem.

14. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Hey watch it [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    My dinette is every bit of 8' and the entire end near the door is open. The open end took some getting used to as afr as using it as a dinette. We found out last year coming back from Vermont that the dinette is actually very decent for turtling. Its actually better for me lengthwise, as I'm 6'-4", than the fold down bunks.

Keystone discontinued the Passport HTT's after the 2013 model year. So if you go looking you'll be looking at used.

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

That open end dinette is DW's favorite place to read. No other HTT that I know of has a built in chase lounge.....
    We spent a night turtled in ours during the Noreaster that hit New England two years ago in Salem, MA during Halloween.
    Very comfortable dinette.

16. Shado

Shado New Member

I second Rocky....we have the 233S and we sleep well in there. we have become better with our storage and have made great use of the areas inside the HTT for setting up when we are at camp. Lots of room.

IMO a slide is a requirement just for space inside. We ahve been caught ina few rain storms and being able to sit 4 adults around the dinette while the kids are curled up on the couch and a bed watching TV is so nice.

As for the bathroom....at 2am after a few beers you are going to be so thankful you have it there. We originally thought we would never really use the bathroom in the Roo but we do all the time. So much nicer to have our own bathroom on site with us

17. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks for all the input everyone! We ended up buying a Flagstaff Shamrock 233s at the RV show. I know you said the show prices weren't that great but this one was the best price we had seen and I've been looking for months. I love the room this thing has! So much more trailer than I thought we could afford. We pick it up next Saturday. Now we have to spend this weekend cleaning out the pup. Our neighbor is buying it from us.

18. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Congrats! You are going to love the 233S

19. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Congrads on the new camper.

20. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Pics please !!! [{:)]