Hybrid questions

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by jmh1007, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Maggiemoo

Maggiemoo Member

It looks fantastic. You could host a party in that thing. Can't wait to see it at the Greater Kansas City Rally in April.

2. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks Maggie! We're excited.

3. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Finally picked the new 233s tonight and it's home in the driveway! My husband was so nervous about towing it but I think he feels better now. We have a 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel that has the towing package and has sway protection but I think he has decided to go ahead and get a sway bar. We have a couple of little things we have to take it back for but all in all we're good. One question, well for right now. Where does everyone put a trash can?

4. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Depends on set up. We put ours next to stove. Keeps it out of way, and far enough from door to not attract ants.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

We just hang a trash bag on the pantry door knob

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

x2 .. or on the closet door...

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

We don't put our next to the stove because the Depends may be flammable! [:D]

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

9. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

You should be using a WDH with that trailer.
    I'll bet the owners manual will confirm that.

10. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

The truck was ordered specifically to haul and has the towing system so I think we are ok. According to the manual we don't need it. It's rated at 9200 max towing and the trailer is 4500.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Way to know if you need a WDH is to load up the truck and trailer for camping (including stuff, people etc.) Before hitching up, take the measurments of the trucks wheel well lips to the ground, repeat while hitched up on a flat fairly level take the measurements (on the truck) from the lip of the wheel wells to the ground .. If you have more then a couple inches drop on the rear measurements or more then a few inches of rise on the front measurements you probably should look at getting a WDH ..

These towing systems built into the new trucks do very little to shift weight from the rear axle to the front axle ... One of my TV's was built and bought as a TV (2008 Dodge Ram full factory tow package, max payload package.. tow rating 10500 lbs) still uses a WDH ...

12. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Thanks Snow. Talking to my husband we are definitely going to work on getting one. We used to have a pup with a 97 Chevy truck and he wouldn't take them far because he was too worried about problems, rightfully so. We bought the new truck and trailer so we can travel. I don't want to be limited because maybe we should have the WDH. It's a small price compared to what we have already spent! [:O]

13. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the tow package, and have a Roo 23SS which is almost the same setup as you. You are definitely going to need a WDH, especially if you put anything in the bed of the truck. It's going to level your truck out and greatly improve steering and handling.

14. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Get A WDH with sway control. Reese Dual Cam, Blue Ox Sway Pro, Equal-i-zer.
    Don't make the mistake of others and assume that because it has "bars" they are sway control bars which they are not. You can get round and trunnion bar WDH's that have no sway control. Reese makes them, Curt, Draw tite, many others. Dealers have been known to screw that up. As far as Reese you can buy just the weight distribution now, then add the dual cam later if you actually need it. Opinions on which one is better than the others are like......#@$!@#$............they all do the job.

The sway control on your RAM uses the electronically controlled traction and stability system to control or stop sway once it starts. You don't want it to start in the first place, which is done with a properly adjusted WDH w/sway control and correct loading. Stay away from friction sway control, the 233S is too heavy and friction sway doesn't prevent it but only attempts to control it also.

Don't go by the Forest River numbers for your hitch weight, which is one of the things you need to size a WDH correctly. Flagstaff says the 233S is 602.....Rockyroo will tell you, his Roo 233 is @ 850.

The 233S probably has the highest amount of hitch weight / forward weight of any hybrid.

15. jmh1007

jmh1007 Member

Printed to give to hubby. He has been calling hitch places today! Thanks guys!

16. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

17. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

DITTO for us!

don't get confused by towing capacity amounts. it's only a part of whether you need a WDH or not.
    i'll be that your receiver has two amounts stamped or labeled on it.
    one amount- without WDH and one amount- With WDH.
    payload is more important that towing capacity, with a 1/2 ton truck.
    many times owners will run out of payload, WAY before they get close to their towing capacity.

and when to use of a WDH should be in your owners manual, it is in my truck's.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Exactly !!! The dry weight is 4512 lbs and the GVW is 6039 lbs which would put the tongue weight around 900 lbs. Thats a heavy lightweight trailer.

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Is it? Here is where manufacturers specs get confusing. Where did you get the GVWR 6039? You did what I would do. Added listed cargo and base.
    Flagstaff

But they say GVWR is 6602 and that does not add up. It should be base weight 4512 plus cargo capacity 1527= 6039

Where is the other 563 lbs?

The yellow sticker is what you need to go by, not the website or the brochure.

If the GVWR is 6602 on the yellow sticker, and the base of 4512 is accurate then your cargo should be 2090?

Lets go one step further using the spec in the link..........the GVWR should be 6000 and not 6602 or 6039.......Why? 2 3000lb axles is why. If its 6000 and they are saying the hitch weight is 602 thats where you get the GVWR of 6602. How can you rate the trailer as 602 lbs over axle capacity? Because in reality the 602 lbs of TW is on the TV.

Confused???? [LOL] [:D] [LOL] [:D] [?:~{] [?:~{] [?:~{]

I think someone at Forest River had their head up their you know what the day they typed out the specs? [LOL]

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

With their set up and the WDH I think they will be fine, but yes the manufacturers try to confuse us into thinking the trailers are lighter than what is actual. One thing I noticed at the RV show is they had the truck listed on the side of the camper and it stated " you need this, to tow this ".