Hybrid suggestions

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by mousefn, Jul 25, 2012.

1. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I had a Dutchemen Aerolite Cub. I think it was a 2001. I noticed discolored tile when we looked at it and asked about water damage. I was told that it was from improper cleaning products. Well, 3 months later, we found that he wood on both bunkends was rotten when I almost fell through climbing into bed. After some research, we found that the Cubs had a history of leaking issues. We later bought a Dutchmen Skamper and had issues with leaking around the storage compartments. I found the quality of the interior not to be that great either. Latches not lined properly, wood warping easily, drawer slides breaking, etc. I will never buy a Dutchmen again. That is just my 2 cents.

2. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

I was so glad to read all of the input on this subject. We've been toying with the idea of selling the pup and purchasing a hybrid. These answers have given me lots to think about.

3. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Depends on the back issues!! I have a bad back myself and bending and that is fine ,, however dealing with weight above my head is a problem!!

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Hey Mouse, I agree with Bikendan on checking out the new ones, except for one issue. I can say that in that past 6 months I got quotes on my 233s and extended negotiations with RVWholesalers, a couple dealerships in Indiana and several in Michigan from Detroit out to Muskegon, and I can honestly tell you, call Bob at LabadieRV.com and get his price before accepting any other. He came in over a grand below everyone else. RVW and Lloyd Bridges both got into actual arguments with me swearing that nobody could give me the price i got from Labadie. They are in Toledo Ohio.

As for Blondedriver, you are absolutely correct, it very much depends on the back issue. I herniated L4-L5 twice, and although lifting above my head it ok, bending is my issue. Thus, I don't have issues with the bunk ends that some others might have. However, cranking up my pup was torture.

5. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

by the way, Cubs and Kodiaks are made in the same factory and are twin brands, like Roo/Shamrock.
    they just put different decals on the outside and different fabric patterns/colors inside.

6. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Yes, it was an Aerolite Cub and Kodiak Skamper, both made by Dutchmen. I loved the floorplans in both but the quality was lacking.

7. skippy

skippy New Member

We owned a 2005 Jayco 19h hybrid from 2005-2012.. love Jayco!!! Would definitely buy another Jayco. [:D]

8. mousefn

mousefn New Member

Well we are considering a 2003 21" Flagstaff Shamrock...hopefully it will still be available when we get there...it is about 3 hours from our house. But it looks in great shape and the seller is asking 4000.00...........seems a fair price as we were also considering a 1999 cub 16 ft for 3950.00. I appreciate all of the advise.

I did just actually look at some images of a trail manor....but really not what we want.
    Thanks again...I will keep you posted..............I want to get back to camping soon!

9. bencze1

bencze1 New Member

We bought a 2011 jayco x23j and absolutely love it, but it is still fairly new. We had looked around for a while before desideing to just find a newer one. There is just so much junk out there that people want the price of gold for. And again, the whole family loves this camper! If you have any ? About the jaycos, I will try to answer them the best I can.

10. stefbauer

stefbauer New Member

We have the 2001 Kodiak ... an upgrade from our Jayco PUP... and have to say we LOVE it!

The discussion about the age, and improvements in newer models is valid... from my personal experience:
    We bought this one (for cheap) because there was significant water damage to the floor, that required replacement of something a bit larger than a sheet of plywood on the front right, all the way back to the door on the trailer. I was aware of the issue at purchase, and was up for the task, so the money savings was worth it to me. I have completed the work, it turned out great, and could not be happier.

The water issues were caused by the front hatch, which was completely re-built by the previous owner, and resolved the issues with the water coming in... but the damage was done to the floor.

So bottom line, be careful with what you get (particularly the older models), but if you are up for some work, it can be done, and you can save quite a bit of money (if you are able to do the work).

11. Lablover

Lablover Member

Loving our small 2009 KZ Coyote 19C but if we wanted something larger which we dont need, we liked the KZ Coyote 20C

12. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Forest river products seem to be very good. We have a 2011 Surveyor 234T and love it. It's in the same family as the Roo & Shamrock. They stopped making our floorplan in 2011 but I have seen some online still available at various locations around the country. We bought ours out of season here in the midwest ( January) so we got. what I would consider. a very good deal.
    One of the reasons we love it is that it has 2 doors which was what I really wanted. The back door enters directly into the bathroom so there's no need to go through the whole camper for a quick restroom break, works out pretty well.

13. mousefn

mousefn New Member

Well we bought a 2002 18ft Rockwwod Roo :) [:(]. We got it for 3700....which in our area theu have been going for aroung 5000. We drove 3 hours to see/get it.......asking all the "right" questions before going....being reassured about NO LEAKS. Well we did not notice a couple of thisngs when we were looking....maybe due to lighting....not looking closely enough....not sure. But anyway, we noticed some discoloration of flooring from what appears to be the toilet area out to the bottom of the back bunk. [:(]......and it looks like there may have been some water at the far bottom of each bunk.............so it looks like some repairs are ahead for us. I will post some pictures of the areas of concern as we will probably need some advice. My husband is calling the seller to confirm that any leaks were FIXED!!....needless to say he isnt very happy. sorry for the long post.....Im just a bit bummed right now. [:!]

14. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

:) My wife and I just purchased the starcraft AR-ONE model 15RB. You do not have to open up the rear bed in order to have 100% use of the camper.
    You do have to make the front dinette table into a bed in order to sleep. We stay attached to our tow vehicle and just stop over at large parking lots in order to spend the night while traveling, the only items that do not work under these conditions is our Air Conditioner and microwave. We switch the fridge from battery to gas and all else works off the battery or gas. Stove, water pump, Refrigerator.Toilet, sink, Stereo, Television, 12VDC fan, Lights, etc. In the morning after breakfast and cleanup is done, we switch the refrigerator back to battery and head on down the road. Waking up to a hot shower is also nice.