Hybrid TV??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Hihy Camper, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Hi everyone - I’m so glad to find this forum! I’m hoping to get advice - we have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and are looking to buy a camper and most likely a pop-up (or a very light hybrid). We are first-timers and would love advice!

The Highlander is rated at 3,500 so we are trying to figure out weight limits for our prospective find. We have 2 kids aged 13 and 10 and we tend to pack a lot of gear (we have it ALL from camping). I’ve read a lot - UVW, GVWR, tongue weight, CCC, trailer breaks, etc. We are going to look at a 2003 Forest River Rockwood Highwall (not sure of model) that has a dry weight of 2806. It seems like it would be doable but I’d love any advice on this or weight overall. I’d especially love to hear from someone who has towed with a hybrid!! Very curious how it does with towing. As an aside, we love our Highlander and and really love having a hybrid so hoping to make this work!! Thanks in advance.

2. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Oh and I should add that I got the Toyota tow package and I’m pretty sure it’s a class 3?

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

It is probably too heavy...but check out all the numbers. What is the cargo capacity (payload) of the Toyota? Is it large enough to include all the passengers and the tongue weight of the trailer?

bdr129 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Payload is 1,435. So I’ll show my ignorance by asking ... does that mean that I can have 1,435 lbs in the car plus 3,500 lbs of camper and hitch weight? I feel like I understand the concepts and can figure out weights of people, cargo, camper, tongue weight but not how to fit them together.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Its too heavy. You have to add in all the stuff they didnt to the camper, ac, propane plus tanks, awning, heater, etc, etc, etc. You will be at your limit before gear. Add anything else to the camper like pots and pans and you will be over.

6. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Okay that makes sense. I finally found the GVWR and it is 3,770. It is incredibly hard to find anything with a bathroom that we can tow (inside bath is a must, it’s the main reason we want a camper especially with Covid). Ugh.

7. Sjm9911

You will find something a bit lighter with a cassette toilet. Shower is nice, but you can rig up something outside. Or you can add a portable toilet , they work well, so im told. Some prefer them.

Susan Premo likes this.
  8. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

The problem with a cassette toilet is that this will be in part for kids traveling with their friends - so at their age privacy is a must. So it’s not just the toilet, but a “bathroom”. I’ve thought of setting up a tent bathroom but again, if we are down to that, why spend all the money on a camper? I guess I’m still just working it all through in my head - I have to process things out loud with others input!

9. Sjm9911

Most all pop ups that have a toilet is a cassette. Only some of the HW have a black tank. And seprate walls. , you can build walls, some have . A tent encloser is private. Just diffrent. Kids are adaptable, they learn. Also , some places do have confert stations, so bathroom and showers. Most are pretty decent.

Susan Premo likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

A lot of the newer high walls now only have curtains for their bathrooms anyway. So it’s not that your getting much privacy anyway if you get a popup with a shower. I personally would rather keep the humidity out of the popup so chose one without the shower myself. I have an outside shower that I could use for quick wash ups if the campground doesn’t have a bath house. With a privacy tent and a way to collect gray water that should work just as well. You can buy a cassette toilet to keep in the tent as well. Also something to note...Dry weights don’t include options, which could mean it doesn’t include the weight of the AC, awning, or other items such as propane and battery . Careful about tongue weight as well, some manufacturers do not include the weight of propane or battery in those numbers either.

11. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

We pulled our 1800 lb Popup with our Toyota Sienna with a 3500# rating. After passengers, gear, coolers, and the pop-up we were at the limit. We got a highwall popup after and the weight was night and day. I could push around the smaller popup on the driveway by myself. Not a chance with the highwall. We got an F150 to pull it and glad we did.

We camped a lot of years without any bathroom in the pop-up and just used campground facilities. The toilet in our highwall was nice at night but definitely lacks privacy even with foldup walls.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

This is all helpful. For the record I don’t care much about an indoor shower so that’s not an issue. I’m honestly thinking we will keep to basic camping - a smaller, more lightweight camper without a private toilet seems like a substantial amount of money for not much of a difference in a camping experience. We already have a trailer basket that we pack our tents and cots on. We do a lot through more remote options so we don’t have good bathroom facilities. I guess the only other real difference is heat/ac.

13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

A popup gets you running hot water and comfy beds, though. That's an upgrade. Heat is nice at times. AC? only where there is electricity and that's generally not somewhere remote.

Even if you stick with tenting, consider a portapotty and tent for it this year so that you can avoid the Covid cooties. Cheap investment.

Susan Premo likes this.
  14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

A camper is expensive especially if your looking now during COVID times. The demand for campers shot up this year and so the prices jacked up for all campers. . Honestly unless your really done with the whole sleeping on the ground without the amenities situation it might be best to wait until after this COVID demand. I personally believe you may see campers back on the market after COVID and they may be a bit cheaper by then. Just my two cents. Normally during winter I see the Cheaper prices, but I haven’t seen the lull yet this winter due to the demand still holding. I personally buy used anyway. You just don’t get the warranty usually, but easier to stomach spending $5k on a “toy” then $10+K. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

15. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Yes there is good reason lots of people are buying campers now - I don’t mind the price Jack just because I am glad more folks are getting out in nature! And I know they are expensive for a reason, I’m just not quite sure what we want and need and whether that is worth it? But your post makes me think - maybe we’ll get a little used camper now for less and learn what works for us and upgrade later. I think you may have gotten me on to something!

16. JR71

JR71 New Member

17. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

Wow that’s light!! I’ve never heard of an Evasion.

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Our Fleetwood Sea Pine (Destiny Series) weighs 1,840 lbs with battery and propane. We do not have a bathroom, shower or hot water heater. We bought it in 2008 cause we wanted to tow it with our 2005 Honda Odyssey mini-van. Van had a 3500 lb tow rating. With gear and us in it we kept it below that weight. Trust me, we packed light compared to today with our 2012 Ford Explorer with 5,000 Lb tow rating.

19. bdr129

bdr129 Member

HiHy, your question about CCC (cargo carrying capacity) is that is how much stuff you can carry in your vehicle (minus the driver and a tank of gas). So say it is you, your significant other, and 3 kids, coolers, gear, and towing the trailer. The CCC is the max amount of weight that 1 adult + 3 kids + cooler + gear + hitch weight of the trailer. Generally a rough rule is about 10% of the total trailer weight is the hitch weight. This is how heavy the trailer is "at the hitch." Imagine having a trailer and you pick up on the hitch to move it. The weight you are lifting is the hitch weight. A highwall camper like you are talking about it is probably going to be 300-400 pounds of hitch weight. You will know what I mean when you try budging it to get it hitched up...its heavy. So all that weight would need to be less than your listed 1435lbs CCC. I will say I am pretty impressed that the CCC is that high. Unless your family it comprised of linebackers, and you pack everything including kitchen sink, I would doubt you will hit your max CCC. Now the towing capacity of a vehicle is how much it can "safely" tow behind it without "damaging" the vehicle. Now at 3500lbs for that trailer, I will say in my opinion you would be maxing your towing capacity. Generally a good rule of thumb (unless you love doing math) is to take 80% or 75% of your max towing and if you fall within that number you are likely safe. So for your vehicle, I would suggest something around 2800lbs max, would be easier to drive, much easier to handle, and less beating your vehicle into an early grave. Bear in mind, where you are driving and how your drive will impact this. Say you live in Florida and only tow on lower speed back roads. You would be probably fine pushing your max towing. If you are doing a lot of open highway driving (higher speeds) and / or towing on mountain grades, then the more buffer you have with your weight, the better off you will be. Now just to toss another number out there, is the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating). This is the max amount of weight that your loaded vehicle, with a loaded trailer should weigh.

20. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Every time this topic comes up (like once a week) i remember the advice i was given. Its not about how much you can tow. It's about how much you can stop.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021