Hybrid TV??

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Hihy Camper, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Hihy Camper

Hihy Camper New Member

This is all so very helpful. After reading through all of this and pouring through listings, we are starting to check out some campers. We have narrowed it down greatly and have some good leads.

As for the “how well you can stop” - I think that’s another reason the hybrid is confusing. The non-hybrid Highlanders are rated to tow 5,000 - so I’m wondering if stopping is less of an issue?? I guess we’ll find out and I’ll report back!

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

What year is your Highlander? An easy way to check the braking compared to the gas is to see if the brakes are the same parts on both. If they are, then your hybrid would have an advantage in braking over the gas since you get the benefit of regenerative braking in addition to the friction brakes. I plugged in a 2020 and 2016 Highlanders in RockAuto and it looks like they all share the same brake pads, regardless of hybrid or not. Keep it all under the limits and you’ll be fine. Luckily Toyota is good about building in plenty of buffer in the GCWR so you can use your full towing capacity.

Plus you’ll have your trailer brakes to stop it too. That’s why I hate when that phrase gets thrown out all the time [::)] Not to mention stopping without trailer brakes (simulating a failure) is part of the SAE J2807 towing spec that most manufacturers are following now, including Toyota on all of their vehicles.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Here is how you put the numbers together.

Tow Capacity (TC) - this is how much your vehicle can pull behind it. It includes to weight of the trailer and everything in or on it. Most folks prefer to have some leeway (usually no more than 80% of the TC) with this if they will be towing in mountains and/or long trips.

You should use the GVWR of the trailer (never dry weight) to compare against the tow capacity of the vehicle. Dry weight is very misleading as it often doesn't even include installed appliances, etc.

Payload (P) - this is how much you can carry in or on your tow vehicle. This includes items put in roof racks, bike racks, etc. It also includes the tongue weight of the trailer. It varies, but most often has already accounted for 150lbs for the driver and a full tank of gas.

Tongue weight (TW) - this is usually between 10 and 15% of the actual weight of trailer and everything in or on the trailer. Use 10-15% of the GVWR of the trailer for calculating.

TC <= TGVWR
    P <= (D-150) + P1 + P2 + P3 + (Px) + VC + TW

Other abbreviations used:
    TGVWR = trailer's GVWR
    D = driver's weight
    P1 = passenger 1's weight
    P2 = passenger 2's weight
    P3 = passenger 3's weight
    Px = weight of any additional passengers
    VC = weight of all cargo placed in or on the tow vehicle

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I throw that phrase out there because it’s true. I have a full size pickup and a 3900 lb. TT. My truck can easily pull 10,000 lbs. Stopping normally isn’t an issue but having any kind sudden stop like when coming around a corner and seeing a moose or elk standing in the road it’s exciting even with trailer breaks. Folks always say “ can’t even feel it back there” but when I’ve had to really get on the breaks in the mountains I certainly feel it. As the trailer weight gets closer to the weight of the TV it gets even more exciting. I just think folks think a lot more about how much they can pull.

5. raising4daughters

raising4daughters Member

We recently upgraded from a 10' PUP no slideout dinette to a gently-used 2008 Flagstaff HW PUP. 3800 GVWR (says about 3200 dry but we load enough gear plus AC plus propane that I don't even look at dry weight). Assuming 15% tongue weight, I was at 550-600 lbs. on the hitch of our, THEN, Chevy Trailblazer. The TB had 5,000 lb. tow capacity but only 1,200 lb. payload. With 4 of us in the TV, we were already close if not over. Since the TB needed some repairs, I decided to trade it in for a Chevy Colorado with 7,000 lb. towing and 1,600 lb. payload. Towed the HW PUP last summer like a champ.

That's the smallest vehicle I can think of for a HW, that or a Tacoma. IMO, a HW PUP is big and heavy enough to warrant a body-on-frame TV. Even our Trailblazer with a frame was probably better than most CUVs and SUVs.

6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

The towing capacity rating is tied to the weight of the vehicle itself. The Hybrid Highlander weighs more than the non-hybrid, and reduces the towing capacity and payload capacity.

Sjm9911 likes this.