Hydro Flame 8012 Humming

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Bamabrat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

I've been working on this on and off for a while now. I will confess that i know little about furnaces, but I've taught myself everything else, so i'm hoping you all can help me out. We have a 1990 Skamper 211-C. I have the manual for the HF8012, which is the older model. Our fridge and stove work, and I've replaced the propane line from the tank to the PUP frame. The propane tank is full. On the outside of our PUP, I can get the pilot lit, despite the knob being broken off. Luckily it's in the correct position. Side note, see pic. Any idea where I can get one of these, or how to replace it?

I replaced our OEM thermostat with a Lux 2-wire, heat only digital thermostat. The outside temp was 45 degrees, and I set the thermostat at 65. I can hear a humming sound coming out of the furnace, but that's it. The light dims inside the PUP where it's trying to do something. Here were the steps I took to try to light it. If i'm doing this wrong, call me out. 1. Light pilot on outside cover of PUP. 2. Turn on stove to ensure propane flow. 3. Turn thermostat on. 4. change thermostat to desired setting. 5. Wait for something to come on (over 10 mins).

I've read a few dozen posts on here about furnace problems, but still don't know how to tackle this. I do not see a gas valve on my furnace. On one post, i saw someone say the hole in the cover is for the pilot light, but looking at my pics, it looks like there is a wire there.

Does the furnace have it's own pilot light, or does it use the same one as the stove/fridge, which is inside the cover on the outside of the PUP? Should i see a gas knob on the furnace? I don't.

I guess i need to take the furnace out, and start checking it thoroughly. I am concerned with disconnecting the gas line in the front / left of the furnace. Guessing i turn propane off, then how long do i need to wait before disconnecting?

Any help is appreciated. When i bought the PUP, there was a giant wasp nest inside the cover where the pilot light / gas knobs are. I got everything cleaned out, but wondering if something else might have created a home somewhere and it's not allowing the furnace to function. What should i look for?

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The furnace should be auto start, so nkthing to light. You do need power for it to work. Next is the fan running? If you hear humming and nothing is blowing, your furnace might be lit but the fan isnt turning to move the air.

3. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

thanks Sjm. makes sense, but what do i need to do to figure it out from here? What do I look at or look for?

4. Sjm9911

First you need to make sure the new thermostat is calling for heat. I would just jump the wires together, then see if the funace goes on. You should be able to here it working, see a flame if it has a sight glass. Next you need to see of the fan is working, again , i would try to jump this independently to see if it starts up. After that you can see what parts to look more closely at. If you have a multimeater and know how to use it that helps, i dont so i cant help out there. The lightning instrutions are on the picture you took. Make sure there isnt a shut off switch somewhere, some have them on the thermostat some have them next to the heater. Make sure all the wires are tight and conected also. This may take a bit. But its trial and error. Also you need to check to make sure the exaust isnt blocked. Yes, lots of stuff to check.

5. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

i have several multimeters (free at HF). knowing how to use them is a whole different situation. i don't. according to my manual, the 8012D (direct spark ignition) pulls 1.6 amps and 19.2 watts. I don't know how to use the MM to see what's working correctly, or at all. How do i check to see if the exhaust is blocked? do i need to remove the furnace to do that? Can you tell i'm trying hard not to remove it, but will if necessary?

6. Sjm9911

7. Sjm9911

Not tour furnace, but there all simmiler.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I don't think that will help with the furnace issue.

This may help with the multi-meter.

Can you pull the back panel off or whatever is covering the fan motor? I'm wondering if the fan is locked up or unable to turn by something. Try turning th efan motor by hand. Lights should not be dimming when the thermostat is calling for heat.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. Sjm9911

Thats strange, not the page i looked at , lol.

10. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

thank you all. didn't have time last night (my lodge invited a local PO present a community-wide active shooter class) to do anything except take front panel cover off. see pics. what is the right-hand knob with a "5" on it? And in the middle section, there appears to be a glass circle. I assume that is where I should see the pilot light lit? i will try to access the fan motor tonight

Attached Files:

11. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

that "5" must be the circuit breaker. I also can recognize the the limit switch, the dual solenoid, relay, electrode, but not the sail switch. where is that? attached is a better pic of the circuit breaker without the cover, and the relay, electrode, limit switch, etc.

Attached Files:

12. Sjm9911

In the first pic, top right hand corner, there is a white wire that apears to be capped? Is that attacked to anything? And the switch behind it , does it have 2 wires going to it , one on each end? Thats your rollout or limit switch, if its not conected or bypassed the heater will not work.

13. WrkrBee

Looks like a 90 deg terminal fitting, not a cap. Probably used the covered 90 deg because it is close to the chassis. Guess we need Bamabrat to verify.

14. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

I will double-check at home, but I'm almost positive it's not a cap. I previously took all leads off (if they came off easily), and then used electronic cleaner to clean the leads and then re-attach. I worked one at a time so they didn't get mixed up, and made sure each was connected securely. This was a few months ago. I don't remember a cap, but will verify. Where is the motor? Assuming I would have to remove the entire furnace to get to it?

15. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

ok, it's taken me a few days with V-day, but I was able to get the furnace and exhaust tube removed and cleaned. I couldn't find any loose plugs or wires half-eaten from rodents. Did find a few dirt dobber nests that were not occupied. I didn't remove the fan blade, but i was able to turn the fan without any problems or noises. Just for good measure, i sprayed it with WD40, and used my air compressor to blow everything clean. The sail switch seemed fine. So i reinstalled everything and first tried to jump the thermostat. The circuit breaker tripped after about 5 seconds. I re-connected the thermostat, but same result. The circuit breaker trips after only about 5 or so seconds. I'm sure that tells someone something, but not me. What do i need to look at, or test?

16. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

when the thermostat cuts on, it starts humming for a few seconds, and then the circuit trips.

17. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

just had someone to tell me that a furnace cannot run unless it has a battery. i don't believe i have one. i have a converter under the table, but i haven't found a battery and i've renovated almost the entire PUP. We always camp where we have an electrical hookup, and right now i have it hooked up to our carport GFCI outlet. I always turn on the propane as well when I'm trying to get the furnace going. Is this guy right? is it necessary to have a battery?

18. WrkrBee

Which circuit breaker trips? The house or camper breaker? What is the rating of the breaker that trips? Your converter should supply 12v without a battery. Check where the battery should be and make sure the positive cable is not touching the frame or a ground. Do the camper lights work before and after the breaker trips? Just digging for a little more info. Wonder if the gas valve is shorted?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  19. Bamabrat

Bamabrat Member

The PUP breaker trips. It has a "5" on it. The lights work before and after. But when the thermostat tries to start the furnace, the lights in the PUP dim significantly. I'm honestly not familiar with the way the parts work, but I'm self taught and would appreciate any knowledge or tests that you or anyone can share. To pull our the furnace, I had to detach the wires (on with wire nuts). When I hooked it backup, i used connectors and krimpers. I don't remember the breaker tripping before i removed it, although i was using the old thermostat. My new one is a digital Lux Pro 2-wire, heat only. Shouldn't i hear the igniter try to light? i only hear humming.

20. ashtonc77

ashtonc77 New Member

WrkrBee had some good questions that need to be addressed. The circuit breaker shouldn’t trip unless there is a short or something is grounded. This could also be due to a fault in the Circuit board of the heater which would be very difficult to diagnose. Here is a link that I found that may or may not provide additional help to troubleshoot your problem- http://www.robertssales.com/articles_tutorials/the_heat_is_not_on.html

Sjm9911 likes this.