Hydro Flame 8012 Humming

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Bamabrat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ashtonc77

ashtonc77 New Member

If I remember correctly, the process for the heater to start is that when the air temp goes below the thermostat set temperature, it connects the 2 wires together (hence the reason you can just connect the 2 wires together without the thermostat) which sends a signal to the heater telling it to start. After a few seconds (probably 5 on yours), the heater fan should then start. 30 seconds after that, the heater should light.

Based on this assumption and the information you provided, it sounds to me like the wires to your thermostat are working properly and sending a signal to start the fan. When the fan goes to start up it sounds like it is drawing more current then is expected hence the reason your lights are dimming and the breaker is tripping. I would check the wiring to the fan and verify that it is wired correctly and make sure there are no loose wires floating around which could be making contact with another conductor and causing problems. You could also get a 12 volt battery and connect it directly to the fan to make sure the fan is operating correctly (turns on and spins). There is a slight chance that there is a problem with the fan motor and it is drawing more current then expected. It could still be a problem with the control board which might not be possible for you to diagnose.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Short somwwhere as stated, only way the breaker would trip. Fan is a good suspect.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Everything in the furnace is DC power. Breakers don’t trip over DC power. Fuses blow though.

I feel it necessary to point out that not all old furnaces auto light. My 86 Coleman Columbia had a pilot light in the furnace.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes fuses not breakers, his first post had pictures, in them was the direct spark ignition.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Excellent! Carry on then...:)

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I do not have this furnace and basically doing a seat of the pants flyover. I'm trying to learn something, too. If the 12v fan starts first, and that's when the lights dim, best guess there is a fan wire shorted between the control board and the fan or the control board has a short on it.

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Im guessing, given that the lights are dimming that the converter is maxed out and might be at the end of its life...

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If it's humming and there is no air blowing you probably have a problem with the blower motor. You need a 12v power source (battery or converter) for the furnace to work.
    Some furnaces do have 12v DC circuit breakers (mine has a 5amp). There are also manual and auto reset breakers to replace the other fuses in your PUP.