Hyundai Santa Fe XL - anyone towed with this vehicle?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jen42, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jen42

jen42 New Member

Hello everyone!
    I am in the market to buy my first PUP and I wanted to reached out and get advice from others who have towed with the Hyundai Santa FE XL (AWD). Other than towing a trailer for a dump run, our vehicle hasn't had much exposure to trailering. Is there anything I need to be aware of? I know the towing capacity is 5000lbs with brakes, but I am concerned that it is significantly less without brakes.
    Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. peterparker520

peterparker520 New Member

what are planing to towed?...I have a rockwood freedom 1940ltd that weights 1650 pounds dry(have to add cargo, water, propane, passengers, etc..).

I use the Santa Fe and it does the job.

3. jen42

jen42 New Member

Not sure yet what I am going to tow. Just trying to find out what I can tow! Thanks for the feedback.

4. daveman

daveman Member

Hey Jen.....we tow a Starcraft 1019 (about 2700 fully loaded including water) with a 2012 Sanra Fe. The tow rating on the 2012 is 3500lbs with trailer brakes, and tows the Starcraft fine. I honestly wouldnt tow anything much heavier though :)

5. dbmet

dbmet New Member

We have a 2014 Santa Fe Xl and we tow our 2016 Comet Starcraft High-Wall with electric brakes -2650bs dry weight. The Santa Fe pulls it with no problem. The springs on the Santa Fe are a bit soft, and that is the only thing that bothers me.

6. jen42

jen42 New Member

Thanks! Good to know the Sant Fe pulls well at that weight. (it is rated at 5000lbs with brakes) As for the brakes, did you wire in the controller to the Santa Fe? My dealer says they don't normally do that and if you had someone else do it then it voids warranty. Any thoughts? Would the wireless controller be better?

7. jen42

jen42 New Member

Thanks! Again, the same question to you would be how the brake controller is wired to the Santa Fe. Did you have the controller wired in or are you using wireless? My sister and I are sharing the trailer so I am thinking a wireless system would be the most economical.

8. dbmet

dbmet New Member

Yes we use the Prodigy wireless controller. This way you don't splice any wires so it doesn't void there warranty. It was a little more but very nice. You will also need to run 12v line from the Car battery to the trailer 7 way harness because Hyundai didn't do this.

9. jen42

jen42 New Member

Can I install the 12v line myself? Is there a lot to it?

10. dbmet

dbmet New Member

It was pretty easy. Crawling on the concrete in south Texas wasn't fun. Here's a guide I used.
    Also you can plug in your model and make of car on etrailer site and it will tell you what you need.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-109703.html