I-70 Closure, Summer 2013, Idaho Springs, Colorado

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by colorado_camper, Feb 24, 2013.

1. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Again, thanks

3. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello All

The effected area is only about two miles and the speed will be lowered from what is
    normally 55 MPH to 45 MPH.

All major work is mostly done from 8 PM to 6 AM ( this is the night time when you are
    "fast asleep" ).

This should not much of a reason To Stay Clear.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

4. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Reminds me of Glennwood Canyon during construction of I-70. No big deal. Good time to meet new friends while waiting. It never hurts to slow down and smell the roses. [8D] [PUC] [PUT]

5. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Hello All

This morning at about 10 someting AM I went through this Construction Zone at Idaho Springs
    going W. Bound. The Speed of the traffic at The Construction Zone only got down to 40 MPH.

At about 5'ish PM we was E. Bound and the lowest speed's at the same Construction Zone was
    also 40 MPH.

At Bertha Pass on U.S 40 our speed was a max of 35'ish.

The Construction on I-70 at Idaho Spgs was much nicer, and it only last for a little over a
    mile each way, not two hours each way as The Pass.

Rodger & Gabby
    COS

6. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Rodger, It sounds like you stayed on I-70 at this point. Once they close that eastbound tunnel, you will be diverted off the freeway for something like 8 miles on to a frontage road, some of which is being built now. I saw it the last time I came through Idaho Springs, in a canyon to the north of the freeway. I, myself, don't want to ruin a relaxing weekend by sitting for hours in Sunday afternoon traffic on a meandering frontage road, which is why I am avoiding it this summer. I was just trying to give others on here in the region a heads-up.

7. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Sir

True at this point all East Bound Traffic is still on "The South" part of two East Bound Lanes.

Hmmmmnn - Eight miles of senic local views. I do not mind that.

When Clear Creek Canyon was closed several years ago for Bridge Repairs ( x3 ) it was very had to
    explain to locals it is quicker to go via I-70 towards Idahoe Springs then to Black Hawk.

At the East Point it was needed to place a State Trooper there.

8. 1EYE

1EYE The Marines Have Landed

I didnt even know they started it yet thx for the heads up I just wish I made it up to the hot spring before all this jazz [:(] [PU]

9. Rodger D.

Rodger D. New Member

Good Morning All

To me it is nothing to worry about having some construction in the route. I still will not be trying
    to drive such as I have warm pizzia's to deliver or keeping an un-safe distance between our front
    and the rear of the vehicle in front of us.

As last writtened yesterday "The Eight Mile Detour" has been started. It has always been part of
    any Hwy Construction Project's "Traffic Plan" to keep their impact on The Motoring Publuc at a
    minium. This means if you now drive both directions and record The Travel Time and when all
    traffic is Re-Routed To Their Construction Detour then Drive The Detour and Record The Travel
    Time. It should be the same times. This is a directive from The Top of The Natl Hwy Department
    and by their guide-lines is followed down to the lowest lever at the job site.

At every Job Site if you stand off and moniter ( watch ) the traffic it is The Traveling Public which
    "slows things down". The are looking at that big crane - earth mover or say all of the possibles are
    making them nervous.

The next time you see a Hwy Accident take note "of the lookie-loo's" clogging up traffic movement.

Any person with their Pop Up should have no normal travel time delay's in any area.

10. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Use Hwy 285 and go to the Mount Princeton Springs instead. http://www.mtprinceton.com/

11. Manper

Manper New Member

Traffic , Construction!!! Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!! I70 / Hwy 6 / Hwy 285 / Hwy 24 / US 36 / I25.....Friday 3PM and Sunday noonish..... you hit traffic, accidents, construction....come on........use your noggins.... Take the detour and take [CAM] of an area you will only see once in a life time. It's not everyday you can take a scenic 8 mile detour around a mountain...
    On the other hand....stay away..stay far away... that will ease some congestion for when I go [8D]

12. 1EYE

1EYE The Marines Have Landed

Well I do know thx to that snow we just had the I-70 Tunnel is closed again lol...

13. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Went through this mess, westbound, on Friday on our way to the PUP rally. We went through here around midday so the traffic hadn't really got too heavy at this point but we still hit it at the top of Floyd Hill and went stop-and-go until through the tunnel. Here are a couple of pictures.

This shows the eastbound bypass rejoining the original road.
    [​IMG]

The widened tunnel construction.
    [​IMG]