I added a storage box

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Aladin Sane, May 4, 2009.

1. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have been wanting to add a spot to store my wheel chocks, and assorted pieces of wood that are required under the stabilizers when setting up on uneven ground. Here is my solution. I mounted an 8 gallon action packer tote to the tounge on the pup.

I had to start by moving the propane tank a little to one side. It had been mounted in the dead center of the tounge. This was a simple matter of drilling two new holes in the angle iron the tank holder is bolted to.

[​IMG]

I mounted the tote to the tounge using two chunks of angle iron. I painted them black to match the tounge.

[​IMG]

I drilled through the bottom of the tote, the angle iron and for the two bolts on the left of this pic, into the c channel on the trailer tounge. I used large fender washers to spread the load out and keep the bolts from pulling through the bottom of the tote. I used plenty of caulk to make the penetrations water resistant.

[​IMG]

Here is a side view of the mounting.

[​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]

I have been using this type of tote (the larger type) to carry all my camping gear for nearly twenty years, and have yet to replace one

[​IMG]

I hope it stands up to the junk thrown up by the tow vehicle.

2. jimbealou573

jimbealou573 New Member

It looks loke you cut a chunk out of the "A" frame brace? Is that really wise?
    Looks like it might be a weak spot for frame failure.

3. jnjsawyer

jnjsawyer New Member

Thanks so much for the post and the pictures. DH has been considering a similar modification and it will be great for him to see this!

4. Aladin Sane

I didn't cut anything out of the frame. The angle iron is cut to fit around the frame.

5. jimbealou573

jimbealou573 New Member

OK, the picture ANGLE looked like you cut a place for the box to sit IN.

Nice job, I might even try that...can always use more room. Did it up set you sideways balance? Extra weight on the tongue a problem?
    [PU]

6. Aladin Sane

The items I will be storing in the box along with the box and angle iron won't weigh 20 lbs. I am not concerned about a weight imbalance.

If anything, it may not be enough weight to counter the battery that sits on the other side of the a frame. :)

7. NDpupguy

NDpupguy New Member

Nice work!

8. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

LOOKS GOOD ! does it get in the way at all for cranking up the PuP or the bunkend?

9. Aladin Sane

My pup cranks up from the other end, so no trouble there. The bunk end support socket can be seen just in front of the lower left corner of the box, so again, not a problem.

10. JSCarroll

JSCarroll New Member

Hey, I added the exact same box to my PUP last summer. It's the perfect size. I placed mine on the A frame just behind the tongue jack and in front of the 2 propane bottles. I mounted it with two large U bolts going under each frame rail and thru 2 holes into the box. Clamped it down with vinyl lock nuts ,washers and mixed in a good dose of silicone. Works great and survived a windy, bumpy trip to Death Valley. [:)C]

11. ballard

ballard New Member

With the angle iron setup that should stay on just fine......looks pretty good too.

how about one big box that will hold the gas,
    and tools all in one? Then you could mount the battery box right in front of it.

That way, it would be easier to mount right across the a frame rather than balancing the battery and tool box over a single square tube.

[​IMG]

perhaps more than your job at $99.

12. ARWCanuck

ARWCanuck Member

I put the same box on my PUP last year too. I wish I'd thought of angle iron though, I built up the middle of the frame with plywood and 2x4s and bolted it to that. I keep a jack and 4 way lug wrench in it, plus various straps and odds and ends.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Here is our storage box setup.

[​IMG]

Another view.

[​IMG]

14. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

I stole your idea and did the same exact mod on my Viking too. It worked out great. I used it for holding all of the wood I needed to level the pup and chocking the wheels. Best part was being able to put wet wood in it and not worry about getting the interior of the pup dirty and wet when storing the wood.

15. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

I would like to do this to our pup as well, but I'm not sure I can make it work. We have a king bed up front which requires the extra braces that hook to the wall and on the a-frame. I think it would interfere with the brackets on the A-frame. I need to tinker with it to see if I can make it work. It would be great for holding wheel chocks, lynx blocks, water hose and the like.

16. MnCamper

MnCamper New Member

I have this same box, a little flatter though, and I want to do this same thing but my tongue is not as wide as yours so I may have to put the propane tank in front and the angle iron sticks up a lot so I may have to shave it down.
    Do they even make these boxes anymore?

17. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

yes, they are made by Rubbermaid, google action packer [8D]

18. MnCamper

MnCamper New Member

for anyone that uses these boxes do you use locks on them to keep them locked?

19. sg1215

sg1215 my God, my Country, my Family, my Friends, myself

here is what I did.

added some angle iron
    [​IMG]

I put 2 smaller propane tanks in the middle
    [​IMG]

here it is with the spare
    [​IMG]

20. papachaz

papachaz New Member

good looking mod! ya never have too much storage.