I admire those astronauts...

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by SHFL, Jun 1, 2020.

1. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I really admire those astronauts. They were able to dock with the ISS at 17,500 mph — I have trouble lining up the ball with the coupler at 2 mph!

(I know it's about relative speed — but I am not even aiming for a moving target.)

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing feat

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

[LOL][LOL]

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

For one thing, they were not backing in. Wonder how long a hot lap around the loop would be, for another attempt.

kcsa75 and SHFL like this.
  5. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

Was there a spouse yelling directions as they tried to link up?

(sorry for what I said while we were backing up the capsule)

Kyle R Thorson, kcsa75 and SHFL like this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Trust me when it comes to towing I admire everyone who tows. Big rig driver are at the top of my list. How in the world are they able to back up to those tiny docks without a back up camera without a spotter 90% of the time. Without truly seeing all the way to the back. Some of these stores in the city are down right tight to get into Yet hardly a scratch on that beast. Not saying accidents don’t happen and I’ve seen my fair share of trucks taking out corner posts mainly because trying to make a huge turn is Nearly impossible in a city. I admire my cousin who tows a huge horse trailer from New England all the way to OK and beyond. With only a blown tire or two. Grant you she had to replace her truck A LOT due to over use and down right stress on the engine and transmission. She is a pro on changing tires on the side of a busy road on both her trailer and car. She is a pro about backing that rig up near tight gates. Taking it down the long bumpy potty roads to get to the barn. Yet here I am patting myself on the back just pulling to a small camping spot with a tree or two.

Kyle R Thorson and SHFL like this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

At one campground we saw a big rig pull up to the campsite. Driver swap took place. He got out, she got in and put it in place the first time. Everyone develops a different skill set.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  8. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

Probably she grew up on a farm with a tractor where every child learns to back up, and he grew up a city slicker :laugh:

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. That sounds like my aunt and uncle. She kicks butt backing into anything and everything. He can do it, but she can't hold her tongue long enough and huge arguments take place. Yet she has a wicked lead foot and for the safety of everyone on the road and less chance to get pulled over by police he has to drive. I agree though it could also be different skill strength as well. Some people no matter how hard they practice just can't think backwards to back up. My mom is one of them.

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Back when I was launching my 18' bass boat four or five days a week I was a regular at a bait shop boat launch. I waited quite a while while someone unfamiliar with the maneuver threaded his way slooooowly between the house and bait shop and down to the water. There may have been some angry words between spouses, I was trying to ignore what was going on. Once he cleared I hit the ramp in one smooth motion and was unhooked and getting back in my truck when the guy returned. His wife started to mock him pointing out how easy it was. My DW tells me to not get involved but I had to tell them yeah it's really easy. No, I explained that I could drive my truck better backing up than forward. I think I spend more time doing that.

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

24C2DA89-FDCA-47E3-9F49-B4FA0BF9F55A.jpeg.jpg

James Rucker and kcsa75 like this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It's a good time to be away.

bheff likes this.