I am not a camper

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by generok, Jul 25, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I was explaining my upcoming TT events to someone and they said something like "that doesn't sound much like camping". It got me to thinking... yup, I am not a camper. I don't even consider it glamping either.

I guess when it comes down to it, I am a mobile lodging fan. I take the TT where I want to be to fish, hunt or sightsee. I have no desire to cook outside on a Coleman stove, eschew all things electronic and stay at my campsite all the time.

I like running my furnace, making ice for drinks, having 4G and posting pics, watching a movie, turning on the A/C, using the microwave, wash my dishes in a sink with hot water on tap, etc. I don't feel the need to "get away". Honestly, if I wanted to have a fire, I would have more privacy in my own back yard than in any campground I can think of, short of boondocking.

I do enjoy getting away from people though. I work in government, and it's just nice not to have to talk to folks or make small talk. I only boondock in order to be where I want to be for fishing and hunting. In those cases, I do what I need to, but I'm not opposed to flipping on the genny and watching a movie there too.

So, by many counts, I am not a camper, and I am very comfortable with that. I also have no problem with folks who DO like to intentionally make life more rustic for themselves on the weekend. I thoroughly enjoy the outdoors and outdoor activities, but I also like to come back, be warm, dry, comfortable and secure. I don't subscribe to the opinion that you can't be "outdoorsy" if you don't suffer.

I know this smacks of another "that's not camping" post, but like I said, who said I was camping just because I am towing a TT?

MeaganS, JustRelax, Fixitup and 11 others like this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I don't suffer even when tent camping. We camp, but to be honest most of our camping trips are more like a hotel room we hitch to the TV. We do camping stuff every trip, but most trips include some type of attraction or site seeing as well. I would personally be happy hanging out enjoying the area we are camping, but we are a family and there needs to be something for everyone.

rjhammetter and generok like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Wether or not you are really camping is totally your definition of camping, I like my extras too, and do not apologize for it, I got to the woods not to rough it but to smooth it (except for canoe camping :) ) The main thing to remember is it is your trip and you can do / call it anything you like so go ahead and enjoy yourself.

RockyRoo, rjhammetter and generok like this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Everyone has their own preferences. It's best to do what you enjoy and ignore those who say you're doing it wrong.

While I was working, my preference was to get away and re-energize. No internet, cell coverage, etc., was a positive. As I move into retirement, I'll be doing more sightseeing.

I don't cook outside either. I like my indoor kitchen. I also enjoy just hanging out inside. I find a nice balance for me and enjoy my time.

rjhammetter, generok and kcsa75 like this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I am right there with ya! I'll be the first to admit that I bring way too much gear, but it all has a place to bring me extreme comfort. I camp to visit other places mostly. I do cook outside but that is because there isn't enough room in the pup. Instead I reclaimed the counter to hold my ice maker. We watch movies at night or play games on the PS4. We eat better than at home most of the time. I don't do campfires or stay outside. I run my A/C all the time, and if it is over 100 I'll bring my portable to supplement so I can make sure it stays nice and cool in the camper. We sleep in every morning, don't run a schedule, and don't do hardly anything in the campground during the day. Most of the time we will be visiting local attractions during the day, and if not we are just as happy staying inside. My son and I can easily put in some marathon gaming sessions.

When I tent camp I use a big tent, pull out the cot, extra thick sleeping pad, collapsible camp rocking chairs, tables for nightstands, fans to keep cool, and if we have power you know I am bringing A/C or a heater if the weather requires it.

My motto is if you aren't comfortable you're doing it wrong. I just have a very refined definition of comfort in the outdoors!

RockyRoo and rjhammetter like this.
  6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Nice post. Having lived both PUP and TT lives, I concur completely.

Regardless of what we tow behind our vehicles, the point is we’re getting out of the house, the daily routine, the workday... to go places and do things we enjoy. Whatever we choose. A week of hunting, swimming, hiking, fishing, sightseeing, being a tourist, eating local cuisine or a week of laying in a hammock all day sipping cocktails and having s’mores over a campfire every night. Or all the above.

Like you, I enjoy our newfound ability to cook inside, make ice cubes, take daily showers and potty in private. I make no apologies for loving my air conditioner on hot, humid Midwest days. I like having cell service and checking the news, stock market and social media periodically from my bag chair. I don’t want to be completely disconnected. I want to cook outside on a campfire because I want to, not because I have to.

The only judgement I harbor is for those who have never and will never get out camping, regardless of how camping is defined. You know who I mean... those people who go, “Oh, you have an RV? I’ve never been the camping type.” Oh really? You mean getting outdoors, doing what you enjoy, seeing and doing things you wouldn’t otherwise, spending time with loved ones and escaping the daily grind? They have no desire to try it and have no idea what they’re missing. Fine. More sites for us.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

When I first started camping with my partner 4 years ago, we "truck camped". He had a slight attitude that this was not "real camping" as he had spent years hiking and camping with his pack llamas on week-long trips on the Pacific Crest Trail. However, it didn't take long for him to realize that, although truck camping was different, it was also a pretty fun time. When we got our PUP three years ago, it was a seamless transition for him. For him (and me too) it is about getting out into the woods, regardless of the type of camping we do.

Our PUP is low tech, by design. At this point, we don't have any urge to have electronics, or to be "connected". The only time any sort of thought comes about as to how "others do it" is when we drive through certain campgrounds and see how packed in the hook-up sites are. We'll sometimes mention, as we are pulling into our more spacious site, how glad we are that we don't need hook-ups, but that's it. How others choose to spend their vacation time is absolutely none of our business.

I know several people who would rather have teeth pulled without Novocaine than camp, in whatever form. One of these people particularly enjoys going to national/provincial parks in the US and Canada. She has a strong preference to stay in the lodges within the parks, but will also stay in local hotels or cabins. Doing this, she has seen more of North America than most "campers". She does all of the things that you mentioned- the only difference being that she wishes to stay in permanent dwellings rather than those on wheels. She knows exactly what she's missing, and would laugh heartily about people judging her for her vacation preferences.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We glamp. I do enjoy aspects of camping still. However, I want to sleep in air conditioned comfort and have all the comforts of home.

We also use our camper as a mobile hotel room for places that we want to be, but are very expensive to visit. Mostly Disney World and some of Florida's nicest beaches.

9. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We also use our camper as our take along hotel room. It gives us the opportunity to stay longer at our destination. We enjoy cooking on the grill or over the fire, but I don't mind getting takeout either. It's my vacation so I get to do it my way.

10. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I resemble these remarks!

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

There's no reason to judge anyone. If someone doesn't like camping, then that's their perogative. We all do what we enjoy.

My Mom hated camping. Didn't matter how nice the "accommodations". She didn't want to be out there in the woods.

My Dad loved camping. He tent camped, then had TTs and a truck camper, the a popup, then a huge 5er.

My Mom was a much more well rounded person and had more knowledge of the world around us than my Dad ever did.

One sibling loves camping. She also condemns anyone who doesn't love what she loves. Anything she doesn't like is a waste of time and stupid. She's not someone I like being around.

HappyTraveler and generok like this.
  12. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

It's a good thing we don't all like the same things!
    Think how crowded places we liked would be if EVERYONE else also like it?

As Toedtoes posted:

And it's nice that there are plenty of different options so people can get out and enjoy things the way they want to.

rjhammetter and Toedtoes like this.
  13. penny

penny Well-Known Member

When we were kids, camping was pretty much our only summer vacation. Oh, we took a few road trips, but with NM and AZ forests and lakes so close, we and assorted family and friends met for a week somewhere every summer. My dad and uncle scoffed "candy camping" and we slept in tents on air mattresses and cooked on a coleman stove outside. our bathroom was a shovel with a roll of tp on top. My mom and aunt came for a while, but when new babies came along, they elected to stay home and relax. We didn't wash up, except in the cold stream and when it rained we got wet. we got filthy and were delighted about it. That was camping and we loved it.

would I have camped with my kids like that? NO. We had pop ups, but our trips were also in the summer and limited to a 3-4 days at the most.

would I like that kind of camping now? NO.

But I love the woods, nature and being out in it, and I know I don't have to have a trailer to do it, but it sure makes it happen more often, and THAT is what counts!

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yup, this is the FIRST weekend since May we did NOT go out in the TT. Catching up on some things around the house... but wishing we were out!

15. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

The way I look at it is this. We have 2 daughters they live camping. They are 10 and 11. We only have another 4 or 5 summers left before they are going to hangout with their friends or not want to go with us adults. I took the entire summer off work this year so that we could spend as much time together. We have camped almost 2 full months since we got our TT in May. 2 weeks we spent in camp driveway at my FIL cottage. First 4 days were sooo hot and muggy. Then we installed the 30amp outlet so we could run the air.
    We still have 1 week in Alginquin at the end of the month. Non electric site. We have 7 TT from a homemade teardrop all the up to our 30ft Salem Cruise lite. We have a great time every year. Last year it was bears the year before was minus temps in the morning. Through it all my girls are always happy. As long as they keep wanting to go I will take them. Even daddy smashing his knee on the hitch again is a memory I hope they will remember to tell their kids about when Im gone.