I am noticing a trend in TV's, and it is scary!

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by pixel, Jun 23, 2009.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I tow my pup with an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7l HO engine. It's rated for 6500 lbs. So pulling my little Taos at 1500 lbs is not an issue.

Traveling in the Vermont mountains from Connecticut I average about 18 mpg (being gentle on the go pedal and brakes and just taking my time and enjoying the trip)

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I totally agree, not enough American high gas mileage vehicles on the market....US auto makers still don't get it do they. Bring diesels back into small vehicles. I traded my Jeep Wrangler (which I loved to death) because it got 11 MPG in town and only 19 MPG on the highway if I was lucky. I got a 2007 Chevy Crew Cab, with the 4.8 L V-8 that gets 16 in town and 23 on the highway with no head wind, 21 is usually what a get. I can tow 5000 pounds with it, and the Jeep only 3500 pounds and that was pushing it, realistcally 2000 for the Wrangler 2 door. The four door new Wrangler should be able to tow 5000 pounds like my Jeep Liberty I had. I traded that in when the warranty expired and I had lots of expensive in dash problems.

A diesel in a Jeep Wrangler that get 30 MPG on the highway and can tow 5000 pounds without breathing hard would be my dream vehicle. If you look at European and Oriental small trucks with diesels, they haul alot and get good mileage. I just don't understand why the US doesn't do the same. Its what we want as consumers. I'm one of those rare folks who cares less obout "luxury items" like leather, fancy stereos, etc.... my Crewcab evan has vinyl flooring which is a sinch to clean up. standard radio for music and news/weather, and a goor towing package. Don't need no fancy high priced truck.

I get 13.5 MPG towing our 2007 Niagra fully loaded, all gear, two people, two 72 pound Hobie kayaks on a heavy duty steel ladder rack on the truck, two cargo boxes loaded to the hilt. So I'm pushing 5000 pounds with my truck.....wish I could get at least 20 MPG towing with all that stuff.

Sure wish the American Auto Manf would wake up and smell the roses.

JJ

3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

My F250 crew cab has the 6.0 liter turbo diesel in it. I get 19 mpg on the highway towing my pup or not. I get 16 in town. It is much better than the 11 mpg I used to get with my last gas engine truck. When Daimler spun off Chrysler, did it kill the small diesel plans that where in place for the jeep and dodge suvs?

4. pandahelen

pandahelen Member

I think that some people also read the tow rating for their vehicle and believe that it means that is how much they can pull behind the vehicle when it in fact includes any added weight in the vehicle.

A vehicle capable of towing 3500lbs but that has four adults and a cooler chest inside of it can really only tow about 2600-2800 pounds, and that is assuming that the adults are not overly large and that the TV doesn't have anything else in it (which we all know is not the case when camping [;)]).

And the towing capacity really does push your vehicle to its limits, particularly if you are towing on rough, hilly terrain.

5. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Diesels are a great thing for towing IMHO.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel is selling well in Canada, but I hear it may end soon. It has a Mercdes diesel, the same one used in their upscale SUVs many of which cost twice what the Jeep does. The diesel has the torque of the Hemi V8 cherokee, but the mileage of the V6.

I know it maybe a little out of many people's price range but the Volkswagen Tourag is also coming out with a diesel.

The new diesels run much cleaner than gas engines.

A little off topic but I saw a review of a diesel BMW three series sports sedan, done by someone who owns a BMW 335 gas engine sedan, and he loved the torque of the diesel and said if he had to buy now, thats what he'd get.

James

6. my3kids

my3kids New Member

I wish I snapped up a diesel Ford Excursion when they were still being made. Big tow power, 3rd row seats, lots of room and most importantly a whole lot of confidence towing down the road. Maybe someday they'll put smaller diesels in the Expeditions and Tahoe/Suburbans.

I see diesel Excursions in Craigslists but I haven't been able to talk the wife into letting me buy one. Maybe if I say its a project car she'll let me buy it, not. Sigh.

Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

7. lars

lars New Member

I attended the media lunch when they were about to introduce the 3.0 diesel to Canada. I was very impresssed. It was quiet compared to the big Duramax/Powerstroke/Cummins motors in the big diesel pickups, but it had plenty of power. Like you said, same torque as the Hemi. It'll be a shame if that comes to an end with Daimler selling of Chrysler.

After the diesel car fiasco in the '70's, the North American car makers (can't say Big Three anymore) have been too nervous about introducing diesel for the masses.

...lars

8. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

The 08 Ram is a totally different truck and is not rated for the mileage that the 09 is. The 09 can come with 2 different gear sets based on option package (TRX4, SLT, etc) the lower gears will get you 2 mpg less, but as far as I have seen, they are capable of towing the same, it would probably just be easier to tow with the lower gears if you are pushing toward the higher end of capacity.

9. BgDM

BgDM New Member

Did you look at the Honda Ridgeline? We just got a 2009 Ridgeline, which is capable of towing 5,000 lbs with no issues at all. I have a 2008 Palomino Mustang, 14' that weighs in at about 3,400 lbs dry. Towed it out of winter storage over the weekend and never even noticed the thing was on the back of the truck. Great interior and priced well below any domestic trucks.

Just my $0.02

At any rate, we were towing with a Dodge Grand Caravan last year. I noticed right away that it was on the borderline for the trailer. Glad we made the switch to the truck this year. Heading out for the first trip this year on the weekend!

BgDM

10. camping dad

camping dad New Member

Is chicken that much cheaper than beef? I'm still buying american (if all the profits are going overseas than it's not american!!!) Besides the foriegn cars cost more to repair and maintain.

11. jpohlcat

jpohlcat New Member

This morning I attended a presentation by a parking expert generally describing the trends in parking requirements, cost of parking, parking garages, etc. and it was interesting b/c one of the points that were made is that as of last year all of the american automakers scrapped diesel engine programs for the light truck and below b/c of "particulate" regulations adopted by the EPA (specifically as more recently adopted by California I believe she said). It was also interesting b/c she talked about electric cars and that the energy required to power them would require another 160 some-odd electric plants in the next 25 years which released just as much particles into the air (although she did note proponents argue its easier to clean one smoke stack than a couple thousand exhaust pipes).

Interesting presentation to say the least b/c she was also discussed a "timeshare" type program auto dealers were strongly exploring where as part of your car purchase of your daily, more cost-efficient vehicle, you also bought a certain amount of time to use "specialty" vehicles (e.g., a towing truck you'd have the rights to 3 days a month or whatever time period negotiated). The benefit would be the smaller, more economical vehicles being used on a routine basis while still having available the specialty vehicle. She commented dealers were very interested b/c it would be presumed while you parked your daily vehicle at their lot to use the speciality vehicle you would have it serviced (e.g., oil changes) which they would obviously make money off of.

12. gcarter95

gcarter95 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

The Canyon / Colorado small trucks can tow your camper, and the 2009 model year saw the introduction of a V8 option for the first time. I have the 5 cylinder in my Canyon and have comfortably towed 4K lbs - haven't had occasion to pull more, although the truck is rated for more, but I suspect that I would want the V8 if I was regularly pulling a greater weight.

My 1006 is no issue at all, way under the limit of the vehicle.

FWIW, this is my third Canyon. I am quite happy with them.

13. twolarsons

twolarsons Charleston, SC

Just to clarify. I didn't want to buy a vehicle with a max towing capacity less than 7500lbs. My PU is 5000lbs loaded and i'd rather not pull it with a truck that is only capable of pulling that amount of weight. I've always heard that you shouldn't max it out anyway. Your TV will last longer if it is not repeatedly strained by towing it's max weight. With the added power and stability of a larger truck I feel much safer. Driving the Yukon with the brake controller properly adjusted I can't even tell the PU is back there.

As for the Canyon - My PU is larger than that truck and the max towing cap. is less than the weight of my PU.
    As for Dodge - I'm not a fan of Dodge products. No offense to anyone but I find them uncomfortable, very plastic, and ugly. It's just my opinion.

14. Cable Guy

Cable Guy San Diego, Ca.

I don't think people do enough research prior to purchasing a trailer. I have a friend who owns a 2002 Ford F-150 with the V-6, 5-Speed manual transmission and a 3.08:1 rear end. He read 5,000 lbs. on the bumper so he and the people at U-Haul assumed that's how much he could tow. In actuality, it can tow 2,000 lbs. [TV]

15. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I think most people pull responsibly but you will always have a few who never really think about the safety factor. Not only for themselves but for other people on the road.

Last week on my way to work I saw a Grand Am pulling a camper that was in the 2700 # range.

What were they thinking?

16. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I was ready to call BS on this one, and then I looked up the towing capacity for the truck you described. Wow, I would have never thought there was an F150 that was limited to 2000 lbs towing, but you sure are right.

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02f150.php

Odd that the same rig with the auto trans and 3.31 rear end can pull 4700 lbs.

17. Jean

Jean New Member

And they stick out like a sore thumb. I've seem them too. Driving down the road with a car I wouldn't be comfortable driving to the store in, and they're towing a large trailer or boat. Or, I've seen large trucks towing large trailers, but you can tell by looking at it that something is not set right. They're zooming down the freeway though.

And, of course, my other favorite is all the trailers pulled over to the side of the road while their drivers work on getting the load straightened out. Before Memorial Day weekend, this was especially bad. At least they're fixing it, but you still wonder how so many people could be on the road with problems.

Clearly, they weren't. As dh said the other day when both our mouths popped open as one of these contraptions was making a left turn in front of us [:O] They didn't do the research that I, or most people on this board did.

Jean

18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Manual transmissions are not the transmissions of long ago. Very weak, and a lower axle ratio would help.

19. BgDM

BgDM New Member

@twolarsons:AH! That makes a big difference and you are correct that there are very limited options in non-domestic TV's then.

@campingdad:Don't want to start that domestic vs foreign debate, but most of the so called "domestic" brands are also being produced in Mexico, Brazil, etc, etc., so to say that you are buying domestic does not necessarily make it so either.

We did look at a Dodge Ram, but the dealer would not budge at all on the price. We got exactly what we wanted with our Ridgeline, for less money than what the local dealer wanted for the Ram. The Chrysler/Ram dealer is now closed.......

BgDM

20. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

I have to side with the poster who tows with a Volvo...I have been a Volvo fanatic all my driving life (owned a 79' 240, 69' 164, and most recently an 89' 240). We bought a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport to tow the kids and sundries, but I was suprised to learn (I had never tried towing with one) that Volvo's are definitely little engines that 'can'. One of my inlaws tows with a late model 6cyl Volvo wagon that has a larger tow capacity than our Caravan...suprising!