I am so excited!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ruzic1965, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Ruzic1965

Ruzic1965 New Member

Hello! I am a single mom of 5, but only 2 left at home. I teach school so I try to use my summers to recharge and study for the upcoming year. I just bought a 1999 Coleman Westlake that I am going to update this Spring Break Break so I can take it on the a cross-country trip this summer. I pull it with a 2019 VW Atlas.
    Happy Trails!

Sjm9911, Susan Premo and kitphantom like this.
  2. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Welcome, Welcome. And may God bless you for your profession. I have no Idea about a VW Atlas. But I guarantee one thing some body on here has one or first hand knowledge about them. Because it is a VW and that means it is fairly light be sure the PUP has working breaks and has a controller on the VW. Then the very next thing you need to do is make sure all the bearings have been serviced for your safety including tires. Do not take a chance on tires and wheel bearings, they will bite you in the behind. And be fore you spend a ton of bucks buying camping stuff go camping with just enough to get by. Everybody camps different. Camp driveway is a good place to start. Going out west towns can be 50-70 miles apart and probably small meaning not a lot of R/V parts around. I recommend a RV park in the town you live in. You are not far from home if things go south. Being in town you could dash home or to a store to get something you need also you get experience hooking up to water and electricity things like parking and leveling it. Then go have some fun while you are laying on the bunk at night wondering if your knees will ever work again or if you may need back surgery and what the heck you got yourself into. But, I will tell you that camping with kids and or grand kids is something that will never be forgotten by them or you. My grand son was 5 when I took him to Garner State Park. All he wanted to do is play games and Pokémon the first morning. Once he met the kids at the next campsite Game on. Bikes, fishing you name it. Two of the boys were about 3 years older than him but they both had pocket knives for witling on sticks. Not to let him be out don gramps steps up and buys him one at the park store and a fishing rod to. Wen I pulled up to his house Sunday afternoon that's the first thing he shows her. I went from hero to Zero in less than 2 seconds. With your occupation you have the patience of Job already. That is my 2 cents and there other 2 cents out there that are just as good. If you can teach school and raise 5 kids you can pilot the space shuttle to the moon and back doing necessary repairs. There are lots of women on here that do what you are planning. Give it Hell!!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

Welcome from Illinois. Your VW Atlas is a very capable tow vehicle and should pull your camper with ease. As Fish N Farm stated make sure you get a brake controller installed do some maintenance items on the Atlas and the PUP and head out on your journey.

Ruzic1965 likes this.
  4. Ruzic1965

Ruzic1965 New Member

Thank you so much! Great advice that I will definitely take!

5. LilRed

LilRed Active Member

Welcome from NY!

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Greetings! Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.