I am SO MAD!!!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by skeetercampsintexas, Feb 8, 2014.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I came in to work this morning, the shop officially closed, so I can get caught up and finish a few vehicles before next week. As I pull into my parking spot, which is eye to eye with the hitch of my camper, I noticed my battery box strap on the ground. Thinking to myself, "How on earth did that come loose?" I walked up to my camper only to find the strap cut, and my $150 Interstate marine battery GONE! Wires cut, strap cut.

Now I have to buy a battery just because some low-life needed a battery somewhere!

Everything else around the shop is in order, and other things of value, in plain sight, are still here.

I could literally hurt this person severely if I knew who they were! Sorry guys just needed the vent!

Funny thing, they didn't touch my propane tanks.

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Just a guess here...no surveillance cameras.

3. skeetercampsintexas

Good guess there speck. A guy across the lot from u s has 3 but they focus only on his parking spots for his customers.

4. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Should have taken it in from the camper and locked it up

5. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Any fresh foot or car tracks?
    Be sure to report to Law enforcement. If they catch the low life's there's always a chance to get your battery back.
    Hate it for ya, but glad that's all they took.

6. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Opportunity to get an even better battery maybe? Sorry to hear hat, Bud. [:(]

7. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I put a 2 piece metal locking strap on mine. I can not seem to find the post on here showing the web site for it because I seen it posted here somewhere.

8. skeetercampsintexas

Just got done filing a report to the police. Cop said they hit 2 other shops last night for a total of 11 batteries, an even dozen including mine. Apparently they're only after heavy duty batteries because there are 2 other trucks outside with access to the engine bay that they didn't touch. The other 2 shops had heavy duty batteries as well in some freightliners and mack trucks, and other diesel moving box trucks.

Maybe tonight ill hold up with some good old fashioned powder propelled pellets and see who comes by [}:)]

9. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

10. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

That's it!!! They are tough I had to use a carbide end mill in a die grinder to do a little modifying on mine a file would not touch it.

11. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

12. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

A couple weeks back a coworker's 12' enclosed utility trailer got stolen from our truck yard. No one has ever taken our batteries or gas, but they decided to take a whole trailer. We have cameras, but a pickup truck in the dark isn't really identifiable. Sorry to hear about your battery and hopefully they catch the thieves.

13. IPAman

IPAman New Member

They aren't even using them as batteries. They are just selling the cores for drug money.

14. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Mine gets stored in the garage.

15. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Selling a high dollar battery to a scrapyard for $5. Sad...

1996 Viking 2060ST / 1997 F150

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about that. Around here they are taking copper wire.
    The B&D RV battery lock is the one we have. DH was worried about our battery disappearing - I like the metal strap since it is easier for me to secure than the webbing one. (I was convinced I would lose the box lid along the road with the webbing one.)

17. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Man, that sucks! I so sorry to hear this has happened. And I am so worried it will happen at our house. We have sticky fingers around here. Just last week, the new neighbors that moved here from Ohio had their shed broke in to and had 6 door size solar panels stollen. They installed security cameras today, Im so ordering some this week.

Hopefully with them stealing so many, you have a better chance of them being caught.

Sharon

18. skeetercampsintexas

On a high note to end the day.... I have a buddy who works on a private companies ambulances. He recently had a to pull a 27 series marine battery out of an ambulance because it got a little hot. To me that means add a little water. So he pulled it, addded water, charged it and it was good. So thankfully I have wonderful friends and he gave me the battery!

So I guess the good that came out of this situation is I went from a 24 series interstate deep cycle, to a larger 27 series interstate deep cycle.

The bad: obviously my battery got stolen, AND (looking on the bright side of course!) I have to go buy a battery box that fits a 27 series battery [:D]

From now on, the battery stays indoors, and I did the same with my propane tanks before I left my shop.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, I'm not the type of person who takes kindly to a thief. Yet in the end, we all stand before Him and are to be judged.

19. shfd739

shfd739 Member

At least you came out better in the end. I hate thiefs. We've even had employees personal items taken out of units while they were parked infront of the station.

I'm really considering moving my battery inside or getting one of the locks. Propane tanks already stay in the garage.

20. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Not sure if that's the case or not. If they are selling the cores, would they pass up the truck batteries? I would think they would take any battery they got their hands on.