I am SO Torn.....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Unity1822, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Unity1822

Unity1822 New Member

I live in Northern Minnesota where it is winter all but one day of the year. Right now it is 37 degrees minus the windchill factor. I am desperate to feel some sun and warmth, so this is what I would like to do: I would like to take my camper, which is totally self-contained, and drive about 700 miles to a remote area in the Badlands (I'm a rock hunter) that has a full-service campground. I have spoken several times to the owner and he said it is not at all busy, but it is very early in the season yet. He said right now he has one camper. I would not need to be parked next to anyone.
    I plan to pack everything I need, including food (I can easily live for a few days on peanut butter sandwiches and water, nuts, crackers so this would eliminate the need for me to go into any gas station or grocery stores. My truck when pulling the camper gets about 550 miles to the tank, so that would put me at only having to stop once along the way. When I fill my car now, I use gloves, mask hand sanitizer and a credit card, cleaning it before and after. I would not be going into town, tourist attractions or anything remotely like that; I only want to rock pick and when I am not rock-picking, sit outside my camper and look at the Badlands. I also haven't gone anywhere in two weeks, so I doubt I'm carrying the virus. I also live in the woods in the middle of nowhere. So I think that if I continue to take the necessary precautions I should not be putting myself or anyone else at risk; no more so than if I stayed home and went to the grocery store.
    My kids (adult males) are freaking out though even though they live 200 miles from me, I know they don't glove up and put on a mask in public.
    On a scale of 0- 10, how bad of an idea is this???? Thanks.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I think it's a perfectly fine idea. Go for it.

kcsa75 and James Rucker like this.
  3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I suggest you self isolate at the open RV park and have a great time.

James Rucker likes this.
  4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Envious, go for it.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Only thing i would add , is to look up the nearest medical facility, just in case. Im not beeing a doomsday guy, i atually do it for everycamp ground i go to. My daughter has a tree nut allergy, and its always good to know how far you need to travel just in case. A lot of the volunteer ambulance places in nj are not responding to covad cases. I would go in a second.

FARfetched likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, and post lots of pictures!! [:)C]

7. Unity1822

Unity1822 New Member

I really really expected negative answers! I almost wanted to shut my eyes while reading, lol. Then I realized they weren't negative. I have been to the Badlands many, many times - rock hunting with my husband. We have visited Rapid City almost everytime we've gone out there. I'm pretty familiar with the medical facilities' locations, etc. I just want to self isolate and pick rocks, lol! In fact, whenever my husband and I have been out there picking about the only time we see anybody is on the highway or the place we stayed at. I have researched all the counties with Covid, listing all of the ones from the highest number of cases to the lowest. Where I'm going, the county and nearly all the surrounding counties are zero. I do not plan on shopping, sightseeing or people activities at all. Thanks for the vote of confidence; wasn't expecting it.

8. goat4hooves

goat4hooves New Member

Go for it! The vitamin D from the sun will be good for your health not to mention the rock picking. You are taking the precautions that make you feel safe and the camp area is open. Nothing would keep me from rolling out.

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Go for it. As soon as the snow melts here we will be camping

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

If this means washroom facilities, I say go for it. How much more isolated can you get? Probably not much.

11. Unity1822

Unity1822 New Member

Yes, hot water heater, stove, oven shower and toilet and refrigerator.

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Check your route. Do you have to cross state lines? Is there a "stay at home order" at your current location or the destination? What about "non-essential" travel bans? Do some research to make sure you aren't nudging any of the rules.

Unity1822 likes this.
  13. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

The only thing to be torn about is what time to leave, for me anyhow.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

I would say go ahead. Ditto on checking your route also. I know some states with stay at home orders are stopping out of state cars near their borders and sending them back to where they came from. Sounds like a good time!! If you go make sure you take lots of picks for those of us still stuck at home, so we can live vicariously through you!

PopUp Dreamer likes this.
  15. Unity1822

Unity1822 New Member

I

16. Unity1822

Unity1822 New Member

If I go, I sure will. My companion that was going with me is waffling a bit!

17. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Go! Have fun :)

By the time you get there, I think most of the country will be staging back into normal function.

Happy camping :)

18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Wafflers need to be put in charge of breakfast.

kcsa75 and James Rucker like this.
  19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Well, I will be the one to say don't go. There may be states that have greater risks that you are going through. You will have multiple interactions on the way there (gas, food, rest stops, etc). The whole idea of shelter in place is to do it. When people decide that their needs are more important than everyone else it may empower others to head out and camp, travel for fun, etc. I know it sucks, but with luck this will all blow over. You may be asymptomatic and be a carrier. Most of us haven't been tested, and chances are good many of us never will. I have close friends that work in hospitals right now, my son and wife are both immune compromised, and the threat is very real. Not to mention the fact that should you have an accident or issue on the way, or while you are there, that may take valuable resources away from a rural setting, all because you didn't want to stay home and wait another month. Most hospitals and emergency facilities in rural areas are small, understaffed and with limited resources. If we are not smart now, we may have to put up with social distancing and health concerns for much longer than the next 30-45 days.

If you do go, I wish you the best and hope nothing ill comes out of it and others do not follow your example, potentially spreading something that could have easily been contained.

20. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

RUN FORREST.....RUUNN!!!

Sotovoce and James Rucker like this.