I am SO Torn.....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Unity1822, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I agree with this also. Very much so. But if they dont have a travel ban, and interactions would be as normal or less then normal, why not. I figure we are more conscious of this then most as campers. And if the area is not over loaded, its a good place to go. Are most leople like us , probably not. Sounds like the op needs this , as do we all. Where i live , its not there yet. Other places its possable.

James Rucker likes this.
  2. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

In your shoes, I'd ask myself, "can I get there and back without stopping?" It sounds like you're in a good place, the campground you want to visit is in a good place (isolation-wise in both cases), but there's that stretch between Here and There that you need to consider. The idea of just opening a chair and staring at the landscape sounds beyond lovely.

I'm fortunate enough that I have a place I can boondock on my own property. Just need to figure out a way to keep the overstimulated kids from going nutz from lack of interaction.

James Rucker likes this.
  3. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Have a safe trip! Post Pictures!

kcsa75 and James Rucker like this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We all need to take Covid-19 seriously and take the necessary precautions. But I'm not one to live in fear and camping with DW in our travel trailer is a far cry from a crowded restaurant, big box store, movie theater or office setting. In Kansas, the state parks have remained open. We went camping for six days in early April and again last week.

We went to a state park in a rural county about 60 miles from home. There's not a lot there to begin with, but the three restaurants were carry-out only and the guy at the liquor store was only letting in one person at a time inside the door then he would get whatever you wanted off the shelf. As a result, other than a couple joyrides and trips to the bait shop, we stuck pretty close to the campsite. We had no issue keeping our distance from other while still able to carry on a conversation.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

In your very specific situation, I'd probably go for it assuming all is mechanically well and serviced, minimizing the potential for any iffy situations. Make sure you have a good spare (or two,) and and go for it. Camping in remote locations is the original social distancing.

I would go right now, if our state parks were open, and we're in Florida. I would not use the facilities, and would be fine with them being closed. We never get anywhere near another person when we're camping anyway. I do have reservations for the first week of June and praying the parks open by then, even if they keep the restrooms closed.

Drive safely and conservatively and just stop for gas once, using the safety measures you mentioned. I think it would be fine. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Orchid

Just so nobody misunderstands, I thought I better explain what I meant by this. The OP has been completely quarantined for 14 days (CDC recommendation,) will be packing food he has on hand so will not need to expose himself to potential grocery store germs. Will be paying for gas at the pump, using gloves, no human interaction and no potential for spreading/catching germs.

Destination is very remote, activities are remote in nature. With a self contained unit, there will be no need for use of facilities at the destination, with full hook ups.

Only human interaction I can see is check in, and that may be able to be done online.

I feel like this endeavor is much safer than what many people are doing right now, without travel - mobbing the grocery stores.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Why, what on Earth would you be doin’ at a liquor store??

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Orchid

Replenishing the hand sanitizer, of course!