I am TALL! How can I create a longer bed?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by G-Range, Mar 25, 2015.

1. TheFergusonFamily

TheFergusonFamily New Member

This works for us as well. My husband is 6' 8 and I am 5' 3 and we both fit fine.

2. samh

samh Campin'

Here's a sample of what RhinoDave did as suggested by Genie2010. Extend the bed into the camper rather than outward so as to not have to worry about pushing the canvas out too much.

[​IMG]

3. angnrich

angnrich New Member

This is exactly what I did. I made the board the size of the dinette cushions. So all four cushions are used length wise and they are the same height as the bed. Its a super huge bed, me the wife and the dog can all sleep up there comfortably. We have an older 73 starcraft and this was a god send to sleeping at night. I will try and take pics next time i get the camper out, been to wet here in oklahoma to do anything but float lol.

4. TheFergusonFamily

TheFergusonFamily New Member

I cannot wait to go home and show this picture to my husband!! As I stated before we fit, but he will absolutely love this idea to give us more room!!! Thank you soooo very much for sharing!!!

5. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

We have 60"x 80" queen bunks and my 6'6" husband sleeps just fine on them. He can't stand up straight inside the pup, though, including in the toilet..... [LOL]

6. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I guess I'm not understanding how you "tall folk" sleep inside the bunk pull-outs?
    do you sleep side to side (meaning head to toe the width of the camper) or do you sleep front to back (meaning your head is toward the rear of the bunk bead and your feet toward the inside of the bed)?
    I'm a bit confused.

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

see diagram...do you all sleep as in "A" or "B" positions?
    I can't imagine an tall person even being able to sleep width-wise in a pop up pull-out bunk.....and increasing it's width...how do you do that without trashing the canvas?

Attached Files:

8. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

On of the apache folks modified his Yuma to make a king sized bed out of one on the ends. Got drawer tracks to extend them.Looks factory and they have a nice comfy bed.

Jerry in MA

9. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

so...how do most of you folks sleep?
    in position "A" or position "B"?
    (see 2 posts above for diagram).

10. djturnz

djturnz Member

A

11. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

We pick up our new Jayco 1209sc on Wednesday and I plan on sleeping in position A. I am 6'5" and my wife and I looked at quite a few units before deciding on the Jayco. If the bed didn't fit me, we moved on to the next one. It is definitely hard to find units that fit when you are tall.

12. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

6'-5"....you lucky man.
    So...how wide do these PUPs need to be to fit a 6'-5" person in the 'A' position?
    Do folks this tall usually don't fit in other PUPs?

13. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Our King bed is 80" long in the A position. That gives me 3" of extra clearance, plus I can push out the canvas some if I need a little extra room. Anything smaller would not have been comfortable.

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am 6'2" and 300 lbs! My PUP has a sofa in front of the rear bunk and I made a storage box that sits on the sofa at the height of the bed. This extends the over the sofa. I put the regular Queen mattress in the long way and sleep head to feet. This makes it easier to get in & out of the bunk also. Oh the Box stores on the floor in front of the sofa when PUP is closed.

15. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Great thinking......got any piks?

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I will take some this weekend

17. zjrog

zjrog Member

Thanks! I needed this thread! I'm 6'3" and looking for mods for my 84 Starlite...

18. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

We have the same issue. I am 5'9". My husband and son are both 6'3". Our solution is that we sleep with our heads toward the front (and back for my son) of the pup and let our feet go over the edge into the camper area. It is more comfortable and when one of us has to get out of bed, we're climbing over the other person.

19. shelley besco

shelley besco New Member

Why couldn't you just slide a piece of plywood the length of your bunk but only half the width under the mattress and just pull it out enough to accommodate your feet? You would need to both sleep with your feet toward the inside of the camper but the extension would only be on your side of the bunk so you could exit on your wife's end if you needed to get up during the night. The weight of your body would hold the extension in place and you could make a foam cushion or even use a pillow under your feet?. Then slide back under when not in use. Another option would be to sleep with your head on the extension using pillows to cushion it.

20. angnrich

angnrich New Member

I extended the bed next to the dinette. Two pieces of plywood, simple frame, hinge in the middle and leg in the middle for support. I mad it the full length of the dinette so i can use the cushions that are usually used for the dinette bed on the plywood, same height as the matress pads. Its a huge bed that sleeps me, the wife and our dog with alot of room to roll around. When not in use i fold it up and store it outside. Working on one that will slide out from the factory bed and slide back in. Makes sleeping alot more comfortable.