I did it all by myself

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jayco1997, Jun 11, 2013.

1. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Since the DH got called back to work on Monday I had to make the trip by myself without him because I did not want to lose money on our week long outing so I got my daughter and her baby 6 months old to go for the ride. I travelled with the pup 2 hours from home and set it up by myself while my daughter and grand daughter took a sight seeing tour. DH was really concerned I would mess something up or forget to do something but I took my time, leveled everything and began the set up. It all worked out really well. I weathered a storm on day two but we stayed totally dry and I even set up a Coleman tent to store all the baby supplies and that too remained in place without flying away, LOL.
    We spent the past 6 or 8 months refurbishing this pup from the roof down and I did much of the work while he was at his job so yes I had already known how this unit had worked because I had to raise and lower the unit just about every time it needed to be worked on. While on this trip the DH wanted pics to be sure I did it right. I think he knows I got this down now and he feels confident I can do this. It got me thinking, all I can say is that the women out there need to make sure they are able to set up and break down alone because you never know what life can throw out there.

2. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Congrats to you...We would like to see pictures also.

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Great to hear! So how was the trip other than the storm? Yes pictures please.

4. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

Good for you! I believe my wife could set ours up once it was backed into a site.
    I keep telling her that I want her to know how to back it up, even if she isn't good at it. No one is at first.
    Honestly, I'm sure that I couldn't set up the INSIDE as well as she does.

5. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Great Job. :)

6. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I don't know how to post pics from my phone to this site and I won't be home until the weekend to do that. I arrived Sunday here on the Delaware beaches but it's been stormy so far but it looks like better weather from here out. I sure would love to look tan and look like I've been somewhere, LOL

7. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Good Job. Us men are funny, I in no way want to stop my wife from doing something, rather it was taught to me from childhood that the man does the work, the labor, the hard stuff for his wife and family. A sense of duty. Forgive us, it's hard to overcome.

That being said, our 1st trip out with the pup, I injured my back doing something stupid setting up. (Brain = still 20, body..not even close). So we continued our week camping, me on pain killers and muscle relaxers. When it came time to pack up, low and behold I was helpless. So the wife packed it up with the help of the adult kids, and you know what???... everything went fine!

I could have never sat back voluntarily and let that happen, but I had little choice. And I'm glad I did! The DW felt very accomplished (as she should) and also very happy to help me take a break.

She has since been my relief driver when I'm over tired, and my 2nd set of hands that I have such a difficult time asking for.
    Believe me, your husband is thrilled that you did this. Whether he shows it or not, he is.

8. wapwap

wapwap New Member

Yay for you! You should be very proud!
    [:D]

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Congrats on going and enjoy the trip, in spite of the weather.

I had gone ground camping solo a couple of times before taking the previous pup out w/o DH. When we decided to up-size a bit from the 6-foot pup to an 8-foot one, one of the criteria was being able to handle it myself. Backing is still not my favorite thing, I will do it as necessary, but it usually isn't pretty. When I know a trip will be a solo, I try to reserve a pull-through site, but that isn't always possible.

Solo is a little scary, since there is no one to take over if I get a migraine, etc., or have a major mechanical problem. I have had to do the work on a trip w/DH (he wanted to go on a trip in spite of having a car/bike accident 2 days prior, leaving him with fractured ribs and spinal processes), as well as spell him when he got a migraine on the road. However, if I want to do more camping than DH's vacation time allows, I have to be prepared to go solo, since my two camping friends can't always go, either.

Every now and again, someone will ask DH how he can "let" me go by myself. He says he just laughs and says there is no "let" about it. If we have real concerns about any trip we, or I, do not go. [I met DH after I had sold the house I grew up in and moved across country to find a better climate, so I already had a solo track record.]

10. apesydaisy

apesydaisy New Member

jayco1997, great job! I am a single mom and know what it's like to set it up all by myself and trust me I totally get how huge of an accomplishment that is! Way to go and hope you enjoyed your trip!

11. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I'm the wife. The pup is mine. I bought it, with my money (we keep separate bank accounts and never once in 10 years have we ever had so much as a heated discussion about money, I highly recommend this approach!).

I drive when we tow it (although the tow vehicle is his truck), I back it in, I set it up and take it down. He usually packs up the outside stuff (chairs, bikes), loads our bags into the truck, takes the trash to the dumpster, and empties the gray water tote while I pack up camp.

I'm actually nervous for HIM to do it without ME there.

We have a laminated card with what to do in what order. While tempting to just wing it because I've done it many times now, I still refer to the card just to be sure.

There is nothing magical or special or weird about a female being able to manage an RV on her own. They are made for humans. Go figure.

12. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

You are woman, hear you roar!

13. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Love the girl power in this thread! I'm a single camping mom, who does it all without the aid of a member of the hairy gender. I like to thinking raising a girl who never doubts her abilities just because of her gender, and a boy who sees women as capable and strong!

Way to go!

14. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Good for you!!!! You should be rightfully proud of yourself!!!!

15. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

You go girl!! Your DH should be proud of you.

16. CalKat

CalKat Member

I'm with you! I bought the PU, and I'm the one who makes the mods (I think of it as "play"). This is my little hideout, but I do share. :)

Everyone in my family is very hands oriented. My great grandfather came to this country from Germany as a cabinet maker. My dad was an electrician, my brother is an airline mechanic and my dear niece is a welder. I was a chef, but I'm awfully handy with a lot of things. I'm too stubborn, and I'd rather do things myself.

We can do anything we want to! Sometimes it's a little scary, but that is part of the adventure.

17. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I grew up the same way. However the Army has changed it for me. I do however still try to do the hard stuff at home but at the same time try to teach my daughters that they can do things for themselves.

Great job on accomplishing this on your own.

18. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Hey congrats. I am sure you gals enjoyed your stay.

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I do most of the set up because DH has mobility issues, and is somewhat deconditioned. Usually when we camp, DH works til late afternoon and I pick him up and we come home and hook up and leave from there. The last time, I had my brother, who lives across the street from me, spot me as I backed up, and I hooked up the camper. I called DH at work, and told him I had a surprise. When I told him that the trailer was hooked up, and that when I picked him up, we would leave from there, he said that he never imagined that it would be that the trailer was hooked up.

20. sdn40

sdn40 Member

I can write my name in the snow
    [LOL]